Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Sales

Sales Motivation & Inspiration

• 5 posts
    October 13, 2008 9:49 AM EDT
    This quote was sent to me at the right time and was the kick in the pants that I needed...

It`s by author Karen Salmansohn who wrote "How to Be Happy Dammit"
    “Basically, most people are lazy, busy and fearful. So if you’re trying to sell something, the more vague you are, the more you stir up fear in people- because they can’t fully see what it is they are potentially buying. And out of laziness and busy-ness, they’re less likely to put in the effort of imagining more fully what you’re selling.
    ‘So more than ever a book packager — or any entrepreneur — has to put in the extra time and effort of creating a mock-up of their work, to help buyers — an agent, an editor, or any client - better fully see what you are pitching. We must dare to put ourselves, our ideas and egos, boldly and fully into the world. That’s where being ballsy comes into play. Time and again I realize that most of my career success has not been due to my talent, but due to my ballsiness about how I’ve gotten my work out into the world."

I think this is especially true now that there is so much uncertainty in the market!

Wendi

Wendi Liechty
    Business & Marketing Coach for
    The Casual Entrepreneur
    http://www.TheCasualEntrepreneur.com

• 5 posts
    October 13, 2008 11:57 AM EDT
    Hi Craig,

I forgot to add, she is more of a comedian / cynic, so the tone is meant to be fun.

I think  you are exactly right as far as benefits and incentives and her point is not to operate from fear but to remove it by being clear about what benefits you offer, or people may not get it... and they probably don`t have the time to try and imagine what it is that you are trying to say. 

In summary it told me I needed to be completely clear to remove the fear and uncertaintly that potential clients often experience before hiring someone... and I learned that having clarity and specifics works wonders!

Wendi

Wendi Liechty
    The Casual Entrepreneur
    http://www.TheCasualEntrepreneur.com

ocbizchick10/13/2008 5:01 PM