Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Business planning

Software for writing business plans

• 10 posts
    April 20, 2008 9:41 PM EDT
    Has anyone used software like Business Plan Pro to write a business plan? Are these type of software useful and worth purchasing?

RocketScientist4/21/2008 2:46 AM
    • 10 posts
    April 24, 2008 9:31 PM EDT
    interested in seeing that template if you can find it

I would be interested in seeing it myself.
    RocketScientist4/25/2008 2:34 AM
    • 36 posts
    May 16, 2008 9:26 PM EDT
    Not a fan of software myself... most people seem to go with "fill in the blank" and the end result just screams software driven.  If you smooth out the edges it can be alright, or if the business plan is just for your own purposes, great.  But if it`s for investors, especially larger scale, not the best route. 

Alternative is to do it using software to get most if it on paper, then have a pro review it with you and do the edge smoothing.

As for templates, check out Score.org for one.

---
    Rogue CFO
    Virtual CFO helping launch startups.
    RogueCFO.com
    Rogue CFO On Twitter

• 59 posts
    April 21, 2008 9:52 AM EDT
    I`ve always been a big believer in a solid business plan book rather than software, myself!

Good luck!

---
    Find out what a business plan is all about and get started on your plan with this introduction. FREE!
    Business Plan Basics!

You wouldn`t build a house without a blueprint.
    Why build a business without a plan?
    Build Your Business Plan!

• 8 posts
    May 9, 2008 5:03 AM EDT
    Be careful of BP software, if you are presenting to a bank or you are just trying to get your model down, then I would recommend Business Plan Pro.  However, if you are in a emerging industry and are looking to acquire capital investors then you really should look at getting a plan drawn up by a professional consultant/accountant/advisor.

The problem with the software is that they are very regimented thereby they don`t provide the necessary analysis to sway a capital investor one way or the other.

The blog at www.developmentstyles.com provides some good information on those that are trying to raise capital from private debtholders or equity investors.

• 2 posts
    April 22, 2008 7:51 PM EDT
    Have not tried any software, but got bits and pieces from different books.  However, the most useful biz plan I found was a template online written by a college professor.  Will have to dig up the link.  I took it and plugged in biz plan info for two different companies and it turned out great.

-m-
    • 66 posts
    May 14, 2008 5:34 PM EDT
    Yuck!  Business planning software is a waste of time and money. If you are writing the plan to guide your business... there is a much easier and more effective way, and can be done literally on 3 sheets. 

If you are using the software to pitch banks or VCs, they are generally to generic to help much... but may be worth the guidance in those circumstances.

Business plans are generally written to be "pessimistic", but inevitably are completely unrealistic and end up collecting dust. I would skip it.

---
    --
    Mike Michalowicz
    Author of The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur

• 3 posts
    September 19, 2008 8:27 AM EDT
    Actually, if you`re still looking, I used a book and software created by my graduate school professor. I found it very helpful. The book`s around $25 and the software/template is $75 I think. It helps you through the financial projections and all. Here`s the link to the website if you`re interested: www.bankablebusinessplans.com

good luck :)

• 37 posts
    January 7, 2013 11:02 PM EST

Softwares are of many great advantages, especially for business use. With the help of softwares not only one can write business plans, but can manage their accounting as well.

---
    Moving Software

• January 9, 2013 2:18 AM EST

What also helps with business plans is an idea that actually might work.

• 927 posts
    April 21, 2008 6:36 AM EDT
    I prefer BizPlanBuilder from JIAN software [ www.jian.com ] because it uses Word and Excel and it has a collaboration feature so we can work together with our clients on the plan.
    robertj2008-4-21 11:37:7

---
    Business Growth Masters, LLC -
    Capital Catalysts for Entrepreneurs
    Home of the Scalable Business Plan and QuikStart Capital Programs
    http://www.bizgrowthmasters.com
    info@bizgrowthmasters.com

• 621 posts
    April 20, 2008 10:06 PM EDT
    We have referred many clients to that software and they all seem to make great use of the step by step functions and graphs etc... It is also very affordable. You still have to do background research on your own to fill in those areas of need.

Erin

---
    Our Goal Is Your Success!
    Founder Girls with Goals