Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Grab Bag

Another reason I dislike blogs

• 46 posts
    July 19, 2007 5:16 AM EDT

Thank you for bringing this up!  I thought it was just me.  My opinion is on a more personal level. 

#1. I cannot figure out why everybody thinks they are funny.    If you are not funny in person, then you are not funny in print.  All of a sudden, everybody thinks they are a comedian.  Wrong, so wrong.  There is a reason they put locks on a diary.   Maybe basic America doesn`t want to seek psychological help, so blogging is the alternative.  

#2.  I hate it when my google search results include numerous blogs.   Is there any search engine that will allow me to EXCLUDE blogs from the search results?   

Dianne

• 46 posts
    July 22, 2007 5:50 AM EDT

Good points!

sorry I lumped all blogs together....I subscribe and read daily,  two very informative blogs pertaining to the sewn apparel, design entrepreneur industry and I learn something new everyday.   I would be lost at sea without these knowledgeable womens blogs about the design industry. 

Di. 

• 1 posts
    July 19, 2007 1:11 PM EDT

For what it`s worth, I think that blogs are a great communication tool and I currently subscribe to over 40 RSS blog feeds on various topics.  Unfortunately the Land of Blog is getting a bad rep because although anyone CAN start a blog, not everyone SHOULD (I can sing in the shower but no one is going to pay me to perform at Carnegie Hall).  I routinely add/delete several feeds every week and I`m looking forward to following nhgnikole`s blog but I routinely kill off any blogs that don`t provide fresh content or aren`t updated on at least a weekly basis.  That`s just me.  Blogs that I follow are ones that give me insight into topics I`m interested in (startups, home theater, technology) and I`m not interested in reading rants or hearing about Fluffy`s hairballs.

That being said, I agree that outdated blogs are an issue.  I`m tired of looking through search engine results where I end up on a blog that hasn`t been updated in three years.  Either the search engines should bury stale blogs on the 14th page of their results or blog sites should expire them after the content hasn`t been updated in over two years.  Maybe Blogworld needs a good old fashioned brushfire to burn off the deadwood.

• 4 posts
    July 22, 2007 5:34 PM EDT
    Thank you for the information, Nikole. I have a tendency to shut down when I hear the word "blog," after being subjected to one too many backpacker friend`s navel gazing self-absorption fests. I suspect a lot of these people used to just talk to themselves in front of a mirror prior to the invention of the internet. I wish they would invent a separate label for those!
    • 621 posts
    July 18, 2007 11:41 AM EDT
    Some would say a blog is the first thing to think about when starting an online business. It keeps you connected with others of similar interests and shares a perspective about the business you operate.

Well, I was searching for information about affiliate networks and software. I found a SuN thread titled, “Affiliate Marketing 101: Understanding the Basics” discussing that very subject. In order to capture the true discussion of the forum, I tried to follow the “article” link, only to find the blog entry about affiliates is no longer present. Not even in the “archive” folder.

I did find another page on the SuN network titled, “Affiliate Marketing 101: Understanding the Basics.” Notice the same title? Maybe the first “article” link should have went here.

Regardless, blogs do go offline. I know I have discontinued my own blog. What if people were linking to it? Now their discussion is pointless.

Anyway, blogs aren’t going away, but I still don’t understand their purpose in most instances. Typically they are just no namers screaming or civilly discussing topics which they have no expertise. Oppinons are great, but aren’t they like um… Aaaaaa… areolas? Everybody has one… or two.

---
    Vincent Wilcox (a.k.a. KRAKR)
    Drummer
    My band: Letters Make Words

• 621 posts
    July 19, 2007 6:18 AM EDT
    beachdi... "Maybe basic America doesn`t want to seek psychological help, so blogging is the alternative." I think you`re onto something! As for your #2 comment... Yes! That would be great. I am happy that people are able to express their thoughts and comment on cultural topics, but when I am looking for information (that`s the #1 purpose of the Internet) I am not interested in reading "opinion column" blogs about the topic.

CraigL... um... I have vanity plates. "KRAKR" (you all can figure it out.) I guess that says it all about my personality.

---
    Drummer

• 621 posts
    July 19, 2007 10:32 AM EDT
    Yes nhgnikole... the linking situation has been corrected on that thread. (one reason for this post)... And no. I don`t think all websites suck because there are some really bad ones. If you think I am being unfair... well that`s the world. I just hope those of you writing blogs don`t stop maintaining them. 

---
    Drummer

• 621 posts
    July 19, 2007 11:00 AM EDT
    nhgnikole... I didn`t confuse "you." No need to be so defensive. My comment wasn`t about your blog or the other great blogs out there. My comment was only about why "I" dislike blogs. Ease up on the throttle girl.  The blog business will never die. It has too much going for it. 

---
    Drummer

• 621 posts
    July 19, 2007 12:04 PM EDT
    nhgnikole... It is true that stating or recognizing failures in a system could make people turn away from that system... or they could develop one that doesn`t have the problems that people point out.

All in all, I might be the only one who dislikes the way blogs are being used today. I still have the option of making my point of view known, and seeing others might have to say about my opinion. After all, I can`t talk about how I dislike blogs as part of a business concept on my own blog. I haven`t got one. 

You could have started your defense of blogs by stating... `well, those bloggers who do good work will likely keep their blogged topics available. Some may even update the blog based on new information, as time goes on. There is no doubt there are some minor problems to blogging but think of the benefit and communication it brings.`

In other words, tell me why you do like them as apposed to telling me why I shouldn`t make negative blanket statement about blogs. For example, what reasons are you interested in reading the common person`s blog?

---
    Drummer

• 621 posts
    July 19, 2007 6:56 PM EDT
    CraigL... I get your point. So just to make it clear for others... I would say a "common person`s blog" is a blog written by a columnist that just writes. No research. Just an opinion with no educational background or purpose to write the blog other than to say... "This is what I think."

Now I know nhgnikole`s blog is not of this nature. I know there are several bloggers with great skill and insight... As for my blog... it was a common person`s blog with a small amount of research. Not enough research, or writing skill to even keep my attention. That`s why it`s gone.

But getting back to this topic, It`s unfortunate that many bloggers today won`t maintain their blog. Eventually they will become bored and do some other `fad` thing. That`s when the "common person`s blog" shows it`s real downfall. The information will be lost. ...But just because I said, "...and do some other `fad` thing..." doesn`t mean I think all bloggers are just part of a fad. Music is a fad for some while others pleasure us with their poetry and melody.
    iouone22007-7-20 0:1:34

---
    Drummer

• 621 posts
    July 22, 2007 6:48 PM EDT
    nettie... yes!

---
    Drummer