Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Sales

Patent insurance

• 990 posts
    February 24, 2007 12:39 PM EST
    I`ve had clients check into it and find it is pretty expensive.  The insurer is [obviously] in it to make money and does not want to left holding a huge liabiliby unless also receiving a hefty premium.

---
    James Lindon, Ph.D. Patent Attorney
    Lindon & Lindon, LLC
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, Pharmacy Law, Litigation
    [this is not legal advice - provided for discussion only]
    Intellectual Property for the Individual and Small Business: Identify, Protect, Enforce, Defend.
    "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."
    http://www.LindonLaw.com

• 63 posts
    January 18, 2012 11:26 PM EST

Patent insurance is a protection against infringement of patents and the costs associated with it. Patent insurance is of two types: Patent Liability Insurance and Patent Pursuance Insurance. Patent Liability Insurance is a defensive instrument, which helps the insured fight an infringement lawsuit filed by a rival company. It is also called 'Patent Infringement Defense Insurance'. In this case, the insurance company pays a part of the legal expenses incurred and/or the damages to be paid. Patent Pursuance Insurance on the other hand, is an offensive instrument, which aids the insured fight against a patent infringing company. This is also called the 'Patent Enforcement Insurance' or 'Offensive Patent Insurance'. In this case, the insurer pays a portion of the legal expenses incurred by the insured company.

• 2 posts
    February 23, 2007 4:50 AM EST

I have heard of this but that is all I know about it.
    Has anyone here ever purchased any?
    Thanks
    yuxist2007-2-23 11:10:20

---
    You may be wise beyond your years but still your years are few..................................... Consider all you`ve learned by now then multiply by two.................................................. You can`t replace experience life`s lessons just take time ................................................... Time is you see what separates mere grape juice and fine wine