Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Commercializing Your Invention

Best Strategy for Obtaining Licensing Deal with Majors

• 376 posts
    August 16, 2007 9:46 AM EDT
    I`m not experienced w/ licensing as I am going the other route, but do you already have a patent or are patent pending?

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Charmed Life Products LLC
    Grill Charms™… The MUST HAVE grilling accessory that is revolutionizing the American Cook-out AND The perfect gift for any occasion!
    Grill Charms

• 376 posts
    August 16, 2007 10:13 AM EDT
    Very cool!  Like I said... I`ve got nothin for ya when it comes to licensing but I am always interested to hear where others are in the process.  More posts are coming I`m sure

---
    Leslie
    Founder and President
    Charmed Life Products LLC
    Grill Charms™… The MUST HAVE grilling accessory that is revolutionizing the American Cook-out AND The perfect gift for any occasion!
    Grill Charms

• 2 posts
    August 15, 2007 2:31 PM EDT
    If I understand you correctly, you`re saying that you have an idea for a product but not the tools to manufacture it.  Is this right?  If so, I would recommend the following: call the small business administration and talk to them (ask them for the information clearinghouse toll-free number) and make sure no matter what that you get an attorney!  You`ll definately need an attorney...and don`t forget the liabiliaty insurance you`ll need too.  (I had a friend that invented a simple "contraption" and after selling over 300 of them, on of them "went wacky" and ny friend was sued for over $250,000--the actual injury to the person was documented as costing less than $100 though)  Hope this helps a little.
    • 19 posts
    August 16, 2007 2:12 PM EDT

Sounds like you are an inventor. Your problem is common for almost all of us. It`s not that easy that you can get you patent licensed by just dial a few numbers.

You are welcome to come to inventorspot.com to find out the A- Z about invention

ustar2007-8-16 19:12:28
    • 10 posts
    August 15, 2007 2:05 PM EDT

Hello.

I have an invention that is patent-pending.  My product is used in the gift wrap industry.  It is an improvement/modification to a very common existing product in the gift wrap industry.  My product is bought year-round and is found in most households.

I want to obtain a licensing deal with one of the majors, e.g., Hallmark, American Greetings, CSS Industries, Taylor Corporation, and would like to retain a "licensing agent", representative or intellectual property attorney who has experience at making these types of deals and who I can retain to do the same for a percentage.

Is it commonplace to find a representative to go to bat with a major on these types of deals?  If so, then can anyone recommend a reputable licensing agent, company, attorney, representative, etc.?

And if this is not the best means for my obtaining a licensing deal with one of the majors, then can anyone impart their knowledge and wisdom as to the best strategy/approach?

Thank you very much!

Look forward to hearing from ya` all.

Cheers,

Valerie

---
    "While a block of marble is an obstacle to the weak, it becomes a stepping stone to the strong." Unknown

• 10 posts
    August 16, 2007 10:09 AM EDT

Dear ShelbyCounty -

Thank you for your feedback.  I have the product in prototype and patent-pending.  It is not that I do not have the tools to manufacture the product, it`s just that I wish to obtain a licenseing deal and not manufacture and sell the product myself.  Want one of the majors to license my product and pay me royalties, or one big fat check will due.  :-)

What is information clearinghouse toll-free number?  I don`t understand and why would I obtain an attorney through the small business administration via this means?  Please clarify.

Thank you and have a great day.

Valerie

---
    "While a block of marble is an obstacle to the weak, it becomes a stepping stone to the strong." Unknown

• 10 posts
    August 16, 2007 10:09 AM EDT

Grillcharmer -

We meet again.  My product is patent-pending.

Thank you for your interest.

Have a terrific day.

Valerie

---

• 10 posts
    August 20, 2007 9:12 AM EDT

Thank yo Ustar!

Good fortune to you.

Cheer,

Valerie

---