Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Accounting & Financial Management

Retained earnings

    • 2 posts
    May 28, 2012 7:39 PM EDT

    Your accounting software is correct, RE or prior year profits as a credit. You can access this money in a few ways. With an LLC you do want to make sure you consider paying yourself a salary to avoid issues with the IRS. 

    You would also access these funds as a dividend from the LLC, but again you want to make sure you review the way you are paying yourself to avoid red flags.

    More than happy to discuss and help out should you need more information.,




  • June 1, 2012 3:39 AM EDT

    Above advice is exactly why when you post to this type of forum, you take the adviuce with a grain of salt.

    While you are correct that RE is a credit (many accounting programs will show debits as positive numbers and credits with minus signs), the advice re: LLC issues is off the mark.

    All profits from the LLC are allocated to the members as ordinary income and require the members to pay self employmnet taxes on the allocated profits. You do not pay "salaries" to members of an LLC (unless the LLC has elected to be treated as a Sub S Corp or taxed like a C Corp.).

    The second thing is that unles you elect an S Corp or C Corp tax treatment, there is no such thing as paying dividends in an LLC. When you receive money from the LLC is is usually classified as a distribution and usually with no tax effect (unless of course the member has no tax basis in the LLC, that is for anohter post). the entry that is made would be to debit the members Capital Account and Credit Cash for the amont of the distribution.

    • 1 posts
    May 21, 2012 5:39 PM EDT

    I currently own an LLC partnership and have 90% ownership. We have been in business for 3.5 years and for 2011 my share of the profits was around 23,000. For some reason my accounting software shows the amount in a negative, is this correct? Can I access this money since I have already paid taxes on it and if so, under what accounting I.D. should I remove it under?