Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Building a Website that Works

Free Website Planner for Beginners

• 16 posts
    February 18, 2007 8:14 PM EST
    Hey SUN friends, I just put together a quick and easy website planner kit and wanted to let you guys check it out first.  It`s basically a questionnaire for people just starting out with a new website.  Hopefully it can help some of you develop you`re site, just download the PDF and print it out! 

Download the Free Website Planner Kit Here

It`s the first version, so if you have feedback or suggestions, bring it on!  Thanks everyone, and enjoy.  All the best, Ben at 337 Design.

---
    Ben Grinnell - 337 Design - Web Design & HD Video Production

• 73 posts
    February 20, 2007 7:12 AM EST
    I`m in agreement with CookieMonster.... I wasn`t impressed at all by the "Website Planner Kit".... and why isn`t it on a website instead of a pdf file.

---
    Pokerman It`s not about what you can do... it`s about what you will do! Amateur Poker League Software - Drive Traffic - Add 100,000 Songs to your website - Music Catalog

• 13 posts
    September 6, 2011 8:15 PM EDT

Well, I will have to agree with ~Roland. Anyone who is planning to build a website for business should have a master plan or at least some goals of what to do with the site when it is launched. You just don't have to create a website and make others be irritated of how disorganized it is.

For excellent web services click: build an ecommerce website and how to make a website

• 11 posts
    September 14, 2011 10:38 PM EDT

I guess you should ask yourself what is the purpose of it. If it is to help your clients, it doesn`t seem the right approach. :)

How To Look Good In Photos

• 394 posts
    February 19, 2007 5:53 PM EST

You`re an aggressive marketer, that`s for sure. I`m can`t quite make up my mind whether or not be impressed or if I find the constant stream of advertising/self promotion irritating. [ I have to agree with Nikole. The form reads like an expert-oriented document. ]

Also, it`s really not much of a planner kit. It`s more of a "drum up business kit for 337". Just my opinion. How about if you actually included a bit more of a real primer or a short treatise? There`s something a bit off-putting about your constant attempts to drum up business here. [My opinion, not a fact.] Remember, most people aren`t here to endure a constant onslaught of in-forum advertising messages; and people is the operative word here. Not all the people who visit this site want to be fed to your human-to-customer conversion machine. They`re here for practical help. Please offer something of real use while you fish for prospects and don`t use what amounts to little more than a blatant customer induction form. Provide something useful, like "10 Things to Consider Before Building a Web Site".

Otherwise, it`s really a bit like telemarketing.

P.S. You could produce an online version and have all your questions on ten pages and mix the questions in with useful information. That would be nice.

• 10 posts
    December 2, 2011 1:39 AM EST

I guess you should ask yourself what is the purpose of it. If it is to help your clients, it doesn`t seem the right approach.

---
    How to Lay a Patio

• 747 posts
    February 19, 2007 2:43 AM EST

Here are a few questions that I ask clients/potential clients (some are similar to those you have posted:

Website Goals and objectives:
    LIST YOUR REASONS FOR THIS WEB SITE – WHY DO YOU WANT THIS WEB SITE (in order of importance, i.e. name branding, advertisement, etc)

DESCRIBE YOUR VISION FOR THIS WEB SITE?

WHAT ARE YOUR SHORT-TERM GOALS FOR THIS WEB SITE (IN THE FIRST 1 – 6 MONTHS)?  i.e. online business card, INCREASE SALES, DECREASE ADVERTISING COSTS, ENTER NEW MARKET, ETC

LIST SPECIFIC LONG-TERM GOALS (IN THE FIRST 1 – 3 YEARS)

WHO WILL MANAGE EACH ASPECT OF THIS WEB SITE ONCE IT IS COMPLETE (i.e. e-mail management, system maintenance, new content, testing forms periodically, marketing, etc.)?

Company Background:
    DO YOU HAVE AN OFF-LINE BUSINESS LOCATION (BRICK-AND-MORTAR)?  DO YOU WANT TO USE THE WEB SITE TO DRIVE PEOPLE TO YOUR PHYSICAL LOCATION OR DO YOU WANT TO CONDUCT MOST OF YOUR BUSINESS ON-LINE?

WHAT IS THE LEGAL NAME OF YOUR COMPANY?  WHAT DOES YOUR COMPANY DO?  DO YOU HAVE A PRESS RELEASE? 

PLEASE ATTACH A ONE-PAGE DESCRIPTION OF YOU OR YOUR COMPANY SO THAT WE MAY ADD IT TO THE ABOUT US SECTION.  PLEASE ATTACH A ONE-PAGE PRESS RELEASE IF YOU HAVE ONE.

IF DIFFERENT FROM THE ABOVE INFORMATION PLEASE INCLUDE HOW PEOPLE CAN CONTACT

YOU: (ie.  E-mail address that you are currently using, cell phone number, pager, etc.)

HOW CAN THE WEB SITE BENEFIT YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE?  WHAT CAN YOU OFFER YOUR VISITORS--WHAT’S IN IT FOR THEM? HOW CAN YOU HELP THEM?  PLEASE SPECIFY A CLEAR LIST OF BULLET ITEMS OF BENEFITS.

WHAT IS YOUR UNIQUE SELLING PROPOSITION?  CUSTOMERS TEND TO LOOK FOR INFORMATION AS A PRIORITY WHEN SHOPPING ONLINE.  A VISITOR MAY NEED TO RETURN MANY TIMES BEFORE REGISTERING, PURCHASING, AND/OR CONTACTING YOU.  WHAT CAN YOU DO TO ENCOURAGE VISITORS TO JOIN YOU NOW AND ABANDON THE NEED TO CONTINUE THE SEARCH?

WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT LEVEL OF ON-LINE BUSINESS AND WHAT ARE THE EXPECTATIONS FOR FUTURE ON-LINE SALES?

~Roland

---
    Web Design | Best Beef Jerky | ecommerce articles | Follow vwebworld on Twitter

• 747 posts
    February 19, 2007 9:38 PM EST

Roland, when you hand off your questionnaire, isn`t it true that you`re assuming the prospective client can answer the questions, or has the basics in place? What if they don`t? How would they go about having those basics?

Yes and no. I use those question to stimulate the client`s thoughts about his or her qoals and expectations for the web pesence. If they have answers, great. If they do not, it is a topic we discuss.  They probably do have answers, just not commited into writing, so I use the questions to stimulate a discussion about their goals.

~Roland

---
    Web Design | Best Beef Jerky | ecommerce articles | Follow vwebworld on Twitter

• 2 posts
    February 19, 2007 8:21 AM EST

A website is only as good as the systems that sit behind it to support it. We are offering a new approach to building & launching a website, as well as a cost-effective eCommerce, CRM and ERP solution that sits behind it. If its just a website you want - then keep your website up-to-date with clever content managment not code.  

"Put all the applications required to start-up a business in one product and rent it on a monthly basis" our customers requested......hmmm sounds like a novel idea. We are providing this to entrepreneurs in Ireland and Italy, and we would like to do the same in the States shortly..... so checkout Panthius.com and tell us what you think.....

---
    Ultan O Brien Managing Director Panthius.com Rock House Main Street Blackrock Co Dublin Int: +35312789003 DDI: +35312790007 Mob: +353862323755 www.panthius.com

• 2 posts
    February 19, 2007 1:19 PM EST
    Cheers Craig....Wasn`t trying to be obstreperous in relation to the context of the forum
    but I thought......hey its not rocket surgery!!!! Yes you can choose to use whatever functionality you like for €49 per month per user (about $70) and customise your navigation..... so as not to distract your eyes with outragious functionality....start with a website
    and then of course grow into a full suite...most of our customers start that way....

---
    Ultan O Brien Managing Director Panthius.com Rock House Main Street Blackrock Co Dublin Int: +35312789003 DDI: +35312790007 Mob: +353862323755 www.panthius.com