Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Sales

Where to get good negotiation training?

• 9 posts
    April 20, 2008 1:38 PM EDT
    Our company is looking for recommendations on where others have done for negotiation training.  Anyone have any recommendations?
    • 9 posts
    April 30, 2008 10:34 AM EDT
    Thank you for all the resources everyone! I am not really looking for a book, I am swaying more towards a class or seminar. Do any of you have any experience with any classes ?
    • 270 posts
    April 22, 2008 7:37 AM EDT

There are many good and bad books and audios that can help but nothing is better than being able to work with a seasoned negotiator and learning by doing.  It is a skill that many have or can learn but it is also a skill that many will never have or understand.  I try to read a book or listen to an audio at least once every other month on either negotiation, marketing or sales.   Here are some books I have read that are not bad for basics:

Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement without Giving In
    by Roger Fisher

Secrets of Power Negotiating
    by Roger Dawson

Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
    by G. Richard Shell

Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion (Collins Business Essentials)
    by Robert B. Cialdini 

---
    Bert at Harvey Software, Inc.
    Multi-Carrier Shipping Software and Supply Chain Solutions for Internet Retailers

Also a provider of free shipping information and resources at Harvey Software`s Parcel Shipping Blog along with free tracking solutions at TrackingPage.com...

• 1 posts
    April 21, 2008 6:28 PM EDT
    I liked the book "Start With No" by Jim Camp. It`s a nice change of pace from the cliche "win-win" style taught most other places.
    • 47 posts
    May 23, 2008 6:39 AM EDT
    Depending on where you live, you might not have many or any classees in your area.
    You might try going to the local book store & seeing if they offer any Video classes.
    Good luck/Skill!

---
    Owner/Inventor:
    "OFF THE WALL" Extreme Ping Pong
    The next great "BIG IDEA"
    Seeking Investors/Partners www.InstantVideoMemories.vpweb.com

• 93 posts
    April 24, 2008 3:37 AM EDT
    Bert lists the best book and the best author: Influence by Cialdini.

Depending on what type of negotiations and the level of people to be educated, my consultancy firm may be able to help you. If not, I may be able to recommend someone to you.

Contact me off-line: ric@executivewisdom.com 

I am in Dubai at the moment, so my response to e-mails may not be as prompt as usual, but I will reply.

Rgds,
    Ric
    RicWillmot4/24/2008 8:40 AM

---
    Mr. Ric Willmot
    Professional Speaker | Consultant | Mentor | Author
    Executive Wisdom Consulting Group
    W: http://ExecutiveWisdom.com
    E: info@executivewisdom.com
    Blog: http://ricwillmot.com

Founder of the Society for Executive Wisdom

The Law Firm Marketing Masters podcast rated Ric Willmot as “Au stralia's leading law firm management and marketing consultant” and “One of the Top 10 Law Firm Marketing Experts in the World” for 2012.