Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » People: Hiring, Partnering, Mentoring

Barbara Carey inventor, entrepreneur

• 990 posts
    July 10, 2006 9:31 AM EDT
    A novelty search is optional as far as the USPTO is concerned - but it can help you more narrowly define your invention.

---
    James Lindon, Ph.D. Patent Attorney
    Lindon & Lindon, LLC
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, Pharmacy Law, Litigation
    [this is not legal advice - provided for discussion only]
    Intellectual Property for the Individual and Small Business: Identify, Protect, Enforce, Defend.
    "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."
    http://www.LindonLaw.com

• 5 posts
    July 6, 2006 9:48 AM EDT

Hi Barbara Carey here!

I would love to participate.  Please let me know when and how.

---
    Barbara Carey www.theCareyformula.com 925 254-8610

• 5 posts
    July 6, 2006 9:53 AM EDT
    Thank you. What a nice place to be. I feel at home here surrounded by similar souls!  

---

• 5 posts
    July 10, 2006 7:27 AM EDT
    You need to do a patent search to find out if you have unique art. I usually choose items to market that are inexpensive in unit cost with little or no tooling. This way I go and get orders for the item first before it is made. I work with a patent attorney to protect it. I don`t like to give legal advise because I don`t usually protect my item unless it sells. I get my product to market very fast and if it sells then I go for the patent within the time frame. barbara

---

• 5 posts
    July 10, 2006 8:06 AM EDT

The Hairagami is a perfect example. It is a slap bracelet that is manufactured with a simple sewing operation. I got full retail distribution in 27 thousands locations in 45 days. I got the orders with a prototype then went into production very fast and my manufacturer gave me 60 day terms. I was like a real estate agent brokering the deal as I used the manufacturer to fund the inventory. You can see hairagami at www.hairagami.com

---

• 5 posts
    July 11, 2006 7:28 AM EDT
    Mr. SoloInventr: My book will be available in three weeks. You can reserve a copy on www.thecareyformula.com if you would like. I plan on doing seminars called Carey Academy in the future. I also want to bring out a product line called Carey for kids. I had so much fun helping my son with his business that I would like to expand it to other children. Check out my son`s website at www.richstachowski.com. Have a wonderful day. barbara carey   

---

• 184 posts
    July 6, 2006 7:25 AM EDT
    She sounds like a very inspiring person. I am looking forward to being
    able to hear an interview with her, or have her posting here.
    • 4 posts
    July 6, 2006 4:14 AM EDT
    Great idea!
    • 4 posts
    July 6, 2006 4:54 AM EDT
    Definitely dig it, dude.
    • 4 posts
    July 6, 2006 9:50 AM EDT

Hi Barbara--
    Welcome to StartUp Nation!

• 4 posts
    July 6, 2006 10:07 AM EDT

Hey Barbara... Would you mind fielding a question?
    This has been my dilemma--what if you have an idea but it`s out of your field of expertise.
    For instance, I`m not exactly an electrical engineer. (I once almost electrocuted myself changing flourescent bulbs.) But, I have an idea for a device that requires some (not a lot) of electronics.
    Do you abandon the idea and work on something that`s more manageable... find a partner that can help... try to figure out a prototype yourself?

The Swaynester. (I have to write it that way or Rich and half the board calls me the Sway Nester.)

• 4 posts
    July 10, 2006 7:24 AM EDT

Hey Allan. Hey Vince.
    How`s it going?

• 335 posts
    July 6, 2006 4:45 AM EDT

barbara carey is an amazing entrepreneur! she and i talk every now and then - do we need to get her posting here? or maybe on our radio show? would you dig that?

rich

---
    Rich Sloan , Co-Founder, Chief Startupologist, StartupNation

• 335 posts
    July 6, 2006 5:00 AM EDT
    alright. i emailed her - should hear something back today. cross your inventor`s fingers...

---
    Rich Sloan , Co-Founder, Chief Startupologist, StartupNation

• 22 posts
    July 6, 2006 3:04 AM EDT
    If there is any one success story to inspire you here is one I stumbled upon recently. She is a California entrepreneur. Her name is Barbara Carey. You have to do a search on her and read how she started up her million dollar ideas. It seems she is doing something right here. I think it is important and valuable to check out key moves and read stories of successful entrepreneurs like this. Its stories like this that give those of us starting up some inspiration. How cool would it be to get her to talk to the startupnation!

---
    Allan Thorne President Rock Solid Innovations LLC RockSolidInnov@sbcglobal.net www.RockSolidInnovations.com 408-786-6958

• 22 posts
    July 6, 2006 3:27 PM EDT

Barbara,

It is great that you can join us here. I am a aspiring entrepreneur here in Santa Cruz area, im sure you know the area well. I was inspired from reading articles about you and your success. I have been working on developing a consumer product for over a year now. I am getting ready to produce the first prototypes to test. I have a few questions you may be able to answer. How does one know if their idea is patentable? If so, should one spend the dollars to try and patent? If my product is ready to market, should I try and patent and wait on the patent process before trying to find potential customers? These are the difficult questions those of us face who have never been down the road of bringing a product to market. Thanks for joining us.

---
    Allan Thorne President Rock Solid Innovations LLC RockSolidInnov@sbcglobal.net www.RockSolidInnovations.com 408-786-6958

• 22 posts
    July 9, 2006 4:30 PM EDT

theswaynester,

Are we on our own here? Guess so.

---

• 22 posts
    July 11, 2006 2:40 AM EDT

Barbara,

Thanks for all the great advice. This is a great place to get information. Is your book available right now and do you have any seminars here in California?

Allan

---

• 621 posts
    July 10, 2006 7:19 AM EDT
    I am just listening on this one.... 

---
    Vincent Wilcox (a.k.a. KRAKR)
    Drummer
    My band: Letters Make Words

• 621 posts
    July 10, 2006 7:59 AM EDT
    Barbara,
    Thanks for your help here. I have a question. When you say, "with little or no tooling" I understand the words, but could you give an example? You don`t have to use your own product as the example. I just want to understand if we are talking about items made from molds or what.

---
    Drummer

• 621 posts
    July 10, 2006 8:00 AM EDT
    uh, oh.... I guess I am not just listening anymore...

---
    Drummer

• 1 posts
    November 8, 2006 6:45 PM EST

For those getting started the top priority is to research.  Don`t waste your time if your product is already out there.

http://inventorsdigest.com/ME2/Default.asp

Here is a good site for more info. I have not purchased Carey`s book yet.

We have helped many inventors get started in the right direction. Some have made millions.   I defiantly could use more resources.

---
    Research- prototype - plan - manufacture We can help