Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Marketing

I need your opinions on my logo design!

• 7 posts
    July 14, 2006 5:01 AM EDT

Beth,

Sorry, but I have to say that I did not like the logo at all.  I found it too busy and very confusing.  Also, your company name did not `Pop` out at me, I had to search for it.

I also agree with some of the earlier comments about your business cards being very pricey.  I changed my design because of the cost of printing. (now I am considering changing it again)

Just so you know, I LOVE BOXERS and have one myself.  If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion - ask you artist friend if they could try to draw a 2 color side profile of a boxer with the dog looking at the viewer.  Make his coat brindle and somehow work your company name into the brindle pattern so it pops out at you when you see it.  That would also take care of anyone trying to pirate your logo.

Good Luck

---
    Rick West RJ West Home Inventory www.RJWestHomeInventory.com

• 25 posts
    July 10, 2006 6:42 AM EDT

I would focus in on the dog, possibly even try something like a certain pose, so that you could create a "shadow" version for a simpler logo.

By utilizing a solid one-color image, with your text, you would have a definate logo.  The way I like to approach this sort of thing, is to look at it, and say: "Will it look good, and be legible, if I shrink it to a 42x42 pixel size (A standard Icon size for your desktop) -- if yes, it is a good log; if no, it is a good design.  For a logo, it is good to stay between one (1) and four (4) colors, for simplification and ease of use within a wide array of concept implementations.

A logo is used to symbolize a business on business cards, labels, and tags.  A design is used to embelish a website, splash page, and products to help promote your company, like t-shirts, hats, and mugs.

While I feel somewhat like I am repeating what most of the others above have posted, I feel tat sometimes, it is simply the way in which something is said that brings it to light.

I hope this helps!

---
    -- Rojgiean
    "Creating tomorrow today!: It`s not as easy as it sounded!!!"
    www.cafepress.com/thebrainsprain

The sword`s real, I use it to cut through the lies I find in business and making money!

• 25 posts
    July 10, 2006 11:58 PM EDT

Looks good... can prolly be done for "flat logo" with three to four colors.  Good job!

I hope you find great success with it!

---
    -- Rojgiean

The sword`s real, I use it to cut through the lies I find in business and making money!

• 25 posts
    July 12, 2006 2:14 PM EDT

I have a friend that runs a business, and he spends about $5,000 per month to get 10,000 cards!  He uses a holographic base, with metalic letting, and logoing with a secondary metalic fleck.

I thought he was insane when he got the first set of business cards, and I was right... insanely intelligent!  His business has increased over ten times!

Card stock and presentation can <i>definately</i> mean the difference between you blending in, or gaining new customers.  Just find what you like, and then see how to make it look as professional as you can within your budget.  ...and don`t forget to allow for marketing via print media in your budget!

---
    -- Rojgiean

• 1 posts
    July 13, 2006 12:16 PM EDT
    Your message is getting lost in the gfx.  What are you trying to say with the window and the masonry?  Haus?  Lose it.  I personally like the font you used, but frankly, I find it difficult to read.  Change it.  I used to do this professionally in television.  I always found that less was more when trying to convey a message.  If your message is Boxers, let the Boxer be more prominant.
    • 42 posts
    July 13, 2006 4:51 PM EDT

David, 

OOPs.. just realized that I began reading on the 5th page... didn`t realize that you changed your design which I LOVE! Congratulations and I`ll make sure to forward the website address to all who own boxers ;-)

I liked the small version... and Beth, I`d look into a different font... it is hard to read.  At least it was for me... by the way, I love boxers ;-)  I have a neighbor who has one and she`s beautiful!  I`ll forward your site when it`s done.

Marcy

---
    Marcy Shuler
    www.ScrapbookSpaceStation.com
    Scrapbook Furniture and Organizers

• 29 posts
    September 5, 2011 1:06 AM EDT
    hi thanks for your information .i wish to add my experience here i designed a logo for
    my business with the help from this site tucktail
    here they design the logo for us based on
    our needs
    the process starts with
    1.we tell our dream to them
    2.they work for us
    3.finally our dream comes to live
    they also provide many other services like web site design service ,brand identity design service etc...
    i felt happy with their service.

• 621 posts
    June 2, 2006 10:03 AM EDT
    In short, the logo is fine.

In long, it doesn’t do a couple of things I wish it would.
    1. If I remove the text, does the remaining image tell me anything about your business.
    Example: http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/authors/kylerwilson/
    Notice how you can remove the star from RockStar Media, or even the text from the plane design (below it). With the star missing, the logo is lost. That how closely the logo relates to the name (branding). As for the plane… You still know the plane has something to do with flight.

2. The illustration is good, but if I placed my business name under the image like yours would it say the same thing? What I am getting at is that you have not found a way to mesh the text into the image. They can be separated, without loss of the message… other than your name becomes someone else’s.

I hate to use my own logo as an example, but I will. First I will say, my logo was not designed by me. It was created by a trusted colleague of mine. Although I did create logos, as a professional graphic designer, I wanted to be separate from the logo creation process so I could be more objective about it’s branding ability.

My logo http://www.elusivetreasures.com/BizDoc.cfm can stand along. Others such as Intel, Adidas, and Honda all carry some form of connection with the logo art and the verbiage.

Again the image is cool, but somehow you need to express a way to tie it more closely together with the text.

That`s my two cents.

---
    Vincent Wilcox (a.k.a. KRAKR)
    Drummer
    My band: Letters Make Words

• 621 posts
    June 2, 2006 10:05 AM EDT
    excellent comments Nuevolution and Engraver.

---
    Drummer

• 621 posts
    July 10, 2006 8:12 AM EDT
    mchutch,
    I just voted you a 4 because, not only do I agree (not always the best reason to vote a 4), but I thought you explained it quite well. I think a logo is more important than almost the name.

The fact is that we are visual creatures and a logo, be it font style, or attitude in business depiction is a connection to an individual`s memory that could never be equaled in the mind.

Each time I hand out a biz card, that logo image may stick better than a word. At the same time, I think (in the beginning of a business) the needs of a logo are different. Everyone knows the Macintosh logo now. But in the beginning it was not the same. It had to change presence as it aged and had different needs for it’s existence. Logos … Love ‘em.

---
    Drummer

• 621 posts
    July 12, 2006 8:59 AM EDT
    I hate to be the negative voice... But... Although I feel this logo design solves a lot of issues from the last, I still think it needs work.

First, I think the "double dog" image makes it too busy on the windows edge. I thought I was looking at a two-headed dog at first. I do like the dropped foot into the verbiage

Also, you might want to think of making the verbiage shorter to be contained under the windows ledge. There are several ways you could accomplish it in terms of font usage. My reasoning is this… in the future… when you’re not just online, but also on business cards, letterheads, billboards, sponsor ads, and all the other literature you will print... it may be difficult to read your logo the same as now. You will be shrinking, and expanding the logo in order to get your “stamp” on everything you can. The more proportionate the logo, the easier it is to adjust for all situations.

Last comment. The window… is it a window? To the basement? It’s a short window and I am not understanding what you want me to gather from seeing that short window. Why not a dog house door opening? (that’s a rhetorical question) What I am saying is you have an opportunity to say something there. What do you want to say?

---
    Drummer

• 621 posts
    July 12, 2006 1:35 PM EDT
    Depending on the level of printer you are working with, one and two color process jobs can actually cost more than full color. It can work like this…

Lower-level print shop
    A smaller press. One roller, and movable in the back of a pickup truck.
    If I run a two color job the operator must take time to set the plate for each color. In general, you wouldn’t run a four color job on this small of a press. It’s possible, but the operator has to be really good with his registration on the paper.

Mid-level print shop
    A larger press requiring dock worthy trucks. These guys typically have the lower level press as well as a low-end large press. The large press provided four heads (CMYK) takes much longer than the small press to register all the plates before printing.

High-level print shop
    These guys may still do full color runs but usually have such huge accounts, a small guy is not likely to receive a decent turn around time. Nevertheless, they will often do “gang runs” to get all the full color jobs printed at one time.

I know this list is very vague. To continue… If I want a three color process job, I am likely to get a fourth color for free. You need four colors in order for it to be “full-color”. A three color job, on the smaller press will take too long in man hours to set up. Of course you could go all out like the auto brochures do. They use six and sometimes more than seven different colors. That would be CMYK (Cyan Magenta Yellow Black) and two other others for added effect. Maybe a pantone deep purple or candy apple red for added highlights. Then you can get your print UV coated….

Man I am getting carried away… The point is this… You must find a printer that has the time, expertise and is at the right level for you to get the best deal. Printers are just like everyone else… including real estate agents. We all want the most for what we have to offer.

You should get to know your printer. Look at the jobs he has printed. Ask… “If I wanted to print something like that, how much would it cost for a thousand?” You can then ask other printers for their examples and compare the quality of the print with the cost of the job.

Printing costs really have little to do with an effective logo. If you know you have the perfect logo designed, would you complain about the cost difference from 2 to full color (Depending on what`s being printed. I`m talking business cards, letterhead, the typical think a new business needs)? It`s only a couple hundred bucks. My biz taxes costs more than that.

Don`t worry about printing as much as you worry about logo branding quality.

---
    Drummer

• 2 posts
    November 6, 2013 2:31 AM EST

I don't think this business logo design fits to your brand and business you should make it more colourful and attractive in order to gain some thing for your business.

• 49 posts
    November 10, 2013 1:17 PM EST

Ya all post are truely good for better and appropriate logo design ,,i also think that for better logo the image you selected will serve you well and will be successful in identifying your business.  The creation of a business identity and brand is an evolving process.  It`s all about creating a current image that will best serve a client`s business needs and requirements as well.