Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Startup Funding

Grants & Funding

• 50 posts
    June 7, 2013 9:01 PM EDT
    We all know that starting up a business is a tough task and the most daunting task between the process, is to arrange the finance. In fact, if a company is not funded it is unable to accomplish its mission which is the purpose of its existence. Obtaining funding should start with a solid business plan.

---
    Invoice Factoring

• 59 posts
    February 23, 2008 8:10 AM EST
    Check with your local Small Business Development Center (SBDC). They`ll be able to give you the (honest) scoop on available grants.

Good luck!

---
    Find out what a business plan is all about and get started on your plan with this introduction. FREE!
    Business Plan Basics!

You wouldn`t build a house without a blueprint.
    Why build a business without a plan?
    Build Your Business Plan!

• 63 posts
    February 27, 2008 9:26 AM EST
    Boutiquedream, to be perfectly honest with you, you really shouldn`t waste anymore time going down the grants road. You won`t find any meaningful grants for a for-profit start up. The type of business you want to start (which sounds like it would be great fun) won`t qualify for any grants. Sure, there are small grants here and there you might apply for (we`re talking $1000 or so) but the competition will be fierce and in the long run that little bit of cash won`t go far.

A new start up like you`re talking about will run you at least $40,000 and that`s starting small. You should concentrate on finding other sources for funding. Can you qualify for a loan? Can you borrow from friends or family (not recommended)? Can you get a home equity loan? Can you cash out a 401K (also not recommended)? Can you pull money from credit cards?

While some of those suggestions are not my first recommendation, you will stand a better chance at seeing your dream become a reality going those routes than spending weeks and months looking for non existent grants.

I do wish you luck! (I offer viable funding options in my startup kit.)

Sylvia
    Biz Startup & Biz Plan Help
    Biz Startup BLOG
    startuphelper2/27/2008 3:30 PM

---
    Sylvia Business Plan Mentor

• 184 posts
    February 22, 2008 3:23 PM EST
    I heard a Matthew Lesko radio commercial today! I was shocked! I didn`t realize he was stil around hawking his book (s) .....
    • 927 posts
    February 21, 2008 9:07 AM EST

Finding a funding strategy for a specific situation begins with a pretty specific amount needed. I would suggest continuing your planning process so you can identify the amount of capital you need.

---
    Business Growth Masters, LLC -
    Capital Catalysts for Entrepreneurs
    Home of the Scalable Business Plan and QuikStart Capital Programs
    http://www.bizgrowthmasters.com
    info@bizgrowthmasters.com

• 2 posts
    February 21, 2008 8:31 AM EST
    I am planning to open my own home decor shop and need funding! I`m not sure exactly how much- but I`m pretty sure it will be a lot!
    I`ve heard people talk about grants that are out there to help women start their own businesses- does anyone know of any or where to go to find them?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
    • 2 posts
    February 26, 2008 5:33 AM EST
    Great! Thanks for all your input.

Has anyone ordered the software from Small-Business-Grants.biz? I like that they have a book to help you put together your purposal, and then software to search for available grants.
    • 13 posts
    October 14, 2012 12:58 AM EDT

Women cannot neglect the option to equip themselves with skill which will strengthen and enhance one's business. There are also various events and training schedules to improve one's business skills. Are you interested in a hub of Business Development for Women who dream of Business Ownership and the Women who have achieved that dream? Would you like to meet other women, gain support, encouragement and strength, explore new ideas, find answers, and celebrate success. Discover the women from every business genre, entrepreneurs and women of achievement, from discovering resources, referrals, training, networking and support.

The objective of Women's Business Center Alliance is to network your business and to provide a grass roots network of supporters for the work of the Women’s Business Center in Southern Alabama. The Women's Business Center Alliance is a network of professional women and men willing to share their resources and talents.

The purpose of the Women's Business Center Alliance is to provide a grass roots network of supporters for the work of the Women’s Business Center in Southern Alabama. The Women's Business Center Alliance is a network of professional women and men willing to share their resources and talents.

Women's Business Center Alliance members serve as a professional resource for Women’s Business Center clients and other Women's Business Center Alliance members. Moreover, network members also provide a pool of time and talent that is used to expand our infrastructure and allows us to provide additional services. Women's Business Center Alliance members have the opportunity to directly impact our local economy by helping to grow small businesses. The Women's Business Center Alliance offers members frequent recognition and 100% tax deduction for their annual membership pledge.

Why would a woman want to be a member of the Women's Business Center Alliance? Well, let me enlarge your understanding on its benefits which include: (1) Opportunity to network with individuals from a cross-section of the community, including business owners, local lenders and political officials at our unique business events throughout the year. (2)Complimentary Business Listing in the Womenbiz Resource Directory. (3)Significant discounts on additional exposure in the Womenbiz Directory. (4) Name listed in printed programs at all of our public events. (5)Opportunity to directly impact the local economy through growing strong small businesses.

Below are a few steps for the success of starting a business.

(1)Create Your Business Plan : A business plan is an essential roadmap for business success. This living document generally projects 3-5 years ahead and outlines the route a company intends to take to grow revenues. (2) Choose Your Business Structure: The business structure you choose will have legal and tax implications. Learn about the different types of business structures and find the one best suited for your business. (3)Choose & Register Your Business: Choosing and registering your business name is a key step to legally operating your business and potentially obtaining financial aid from the government.

(4)Obtain Business Licenses & Permits: To run your business legally, there are certain federal and state licenses and permits you will need to obtain. These resources will help you understand the requirements for your small business. (5) Learn About Business Law & Regulations: As a small business owner, you are subject to the same laws and regulations as large corporations. These resources can help you understand which laws and regulations apply to your business. (6) Finance Your Business:

Improve your odds of business success by understanding your financing needs as well as the options that are available to help you start, manage and grow your business. (7) Explore Loans, Grants & Funding: You have a variety of options when it comes to financing your small business. Explore your opportunities that range from traditional loans to grants and bonds. (8) Filing & Paying Taxes

Find out if your business needs to obtain a tax ID and what the benefits and requirements are. (9) Choose Your Location and Equipment: These resources can help ensure your small business is compliant with leasing terms and zoning ordinances. It also provides information about buying or leasing equipment or buying government surplus. (10) Hire & Retain Employees: Ready to hire employees for your business? Learn about employment and labor laws to make sure your business is in compliance.

---