Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Building a Website that Works

Different platforms and tools for web development

• 4 posts
    April 10, 2013 2:01 AM EDT

A good effort, You can check the quality of website from the tools and tips provided here- http://www.cbil360.com/blog/2013/04/08/best-practices-to-create-a-high-quality-website-tools-checklists/

---
    Website Design Company | Website Redesign | SEO Services CBIL360

• 1 posts
    July 9, 2013 7:30 PM EDT

Now a days php is the best among all languages. I've used on my blog http://techbymak.com

---
    TechByMak

• 11 posts
    January 23, 2012 4:10 AM EST

In computing, cross-platform, or multi-platform, is an attribute conferred to computer software or computing methods and concepts that are implemented and inter-operate on multiple computer platforms. Cross-platform software may be divided into two types; one requires individual building or compilation for each platform that it supports, and the other one can be directly run on any platform without special preparation, e.g., software written in an interpreted language or pre-compiled portable bytecode for which the interpreters or run-time packages are common or standard components of all platforms.

For example, a cross-platform application may run on Microsoft Windows on the x86architecture, Linux on the x86 architecture and Mac OS X on either the PowerPC or x86 based Apple Macintosh systems. A cross-platform application may run on as many as all existing platforms, or on as few as two platforms.

---
    Fort Collins Auto Repair | Auto Repair Fort Collins

• 63 posts
    January 22, 2012 10:16 PM EST

A hardware platform can refer to a computer’s architecture or processor architecture. For example, the x86 and x86-64 CPUs make up one of the most common computer architectures in use in general-purpose home computers today. These machines often run one version of Microsoft Windows, though they can run other operating systems as well, including Linux, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Mac OS X and FreeBSD.

Software platforms can either be an operating system or programming environment, though more commonly it is a combination of both. A notable exception to this is Java, which uses an operating system independent virtual machine for its compiled code, known in the world of Java as bytecode. Examples of software platforms include:

* Android (operating system) for Smartphones and Tablet computers
        * AmigaOS (m68k), AmigaOS 4 (PowerPC), AROS (x86, PowerPC, m68k), MorphOS (PowerPC)
        * BSD, very cross platform (see NetBSD, for example)
        * Java
        * Linux (x86, x86-64, PowerPC, and other architectures)
        * Mac OS X (PowerPC, x86, x86-64)
        * Microsoft Windows (x86, x86-64)
        * MS-DOS and compatibles on the x86: MS-DOS, DR-DOS, FreeDOS, etc.
        * OS/2, eComStation
        * Solaris (SPARC, x86, x86-64)
        * The CLI, also known by the implementation names .NET Framework (from Microsoft) and Mono (from Novell)

• 47 posts
    January 9, 2012 4:36 AM EST

I would say that it all depends on the intent and how the content needs to be structured.

Wordpress may be the best choice for a chronological blog but if the point is to sell a large stock of inventory items then an e-commerce / shopping cart solution is more appropriate.  If a person wants to host a community forum, then there are applications specifically designed for that too. 

I use all three but for different reasons:  my shopping cart is from kryptronic and my forum and blog are by invisionpower. 

---
    Brendita`s Body Works - Organic Skin & Hair Care Products

• 8 posts
    April 10, 2013 9:09 AM EDT

For non-developers using a CMS is the best (or only) option. The 3 most well known are:

1. Wordpress

2. Joomla

3. Drupal

Wordpress is the most user friendly and I would recommend checking it first.

Joomla - wouldn't recommend at all (sorry Joomla lovers). It has quite a lot of additional plugins and modules but most of them are paid ones and the system as a whole is not that user friendly.

Drupal is my personal favorite but it is the most complex one. It fits mostly advanced users and it allows the great flexibility in developing whatever functionality you wish for and has a great community support and tons of additional free modules. But as said - dive in only if you are advanced user.

---
    Small Business Garden - The small business network

• July 12, 2012 11:13 PM EDT

Now PHP is demand growing in web development field. It is important that business developers are aware of PHP development to recognize their choices better.

---
    Michigan Web Design | Web Design In Michigan | Michigan Web Design Company | Narroway Graphics

• 5 posts
    July 13, 2012 5:48 AM EDT

WordPress works well for most businesses - you may need to add a plugin or two to customize the output but it's a robust platform. I've worked on websites for major companies that use WordPress.

Don't forget it doesn't have to look like a blog. A good WordPress theme or web designer can make your site look like an online store, portfolio or any other kind of web presence.

---
    Online business ideas, resources and strategies for a profitable website.

• 3 posts
    April 27, 2013 12:21 AM EDT

It totally depends upon your requirements only to choose your platform, cms tools that have to use. As a Drupal developers, i would suggest to go for drupal cms to make your website as user friendly and search engine friendly. Also drupal have more features compared to others and easily accessible by management. So the HTML, PHP platform would be the best for any websites and cms tool for easy access based on your requirements.

• 9 posts
    January 19, 2012 3:07 AM EST

Programming point of view , There are many programming language you use to develop your web sites like PHP, ASP.net, JSP but it depends upon your requirement and budget . As per as my knowledge and experience, you can use PHP or JSP because both are plateform independent Language but php is more cost effective solution .

---
    APG Trade Show Displays

• 6 posts
    January 5, 2012 2:28 AM EST

Hay nice post,

This will help person who is looking for basic information to launch his / her website.

---
    Web Development Canada | Web Design Canada | SEO Service Canada

• 2 posts
    July 9, 2013 7:58 PM EDT

Thank you.  That was very informative.  I am learning so much here!

• 86 posts
    January 3, 2012 6:49 AM EST

I've found that Wordpress is the best when it comes to SEO and for selling stuff online.

It is not an enterprise solution though.  I believe that logistics companies or job site companies need a lot more customization that can only be found in a web designer. 

---
    If you feel out of control, confused, bored or stuck in your business, go to www.millionairementorsaccess.com to claim your free gift!

• 55 posts
    January 2, 2012 7:17 PM EST

For all who doesn’t have much knowledge on how different websites on the internet are designed, developed and what kind of platform get used to create any website, here I am writing a short introduction to some basic platforms, terms and tools which get used to create a website.   

HTML : It is the base of all programming languages or popular platform which generates HTML back hand coding for different functionality of the website.

Domain name & Web Server or Hosting Server:  First you need to have a domain name and hosting server to make your website accessible through internet. The domain name is like your address which would be unique and hosting server is the space in which you would store different objects and files to add to your website.

Web Template or theme:  Either you can choose to have ready-made template which has everything fixed on how different things on your website would look and displayed or you can have a custom design by any professional web designer.

CMS :  It is one kind of system which allow you to manage your content dynamically with basic functionality of various database operations. Integrating CMS into your website would make you able to manage the website without the help of web designer or developer. Wordpress, Magento, Joomla and Drupal are popular CMS.

• 99 posts
    January 23, 2012 1:11 AM EST

The best tool is that which allows full customization, is easy to use and understand (User Friendly), is SEO friendly and is popular. I can't think of anything better than Wordpress. Easy installation, easy customization and SEO friendly too.

---

Promo Direct - Leading promotional products supplier across America!
    Upcoming Events: Buy Breast Cancer Promotional Items | Halloween Promotional Items

• 17 posts
    January 21, 2012 4:09 AM EST

A platform is a combination of hardware and software used to run software applications. A platform can be described simply as an operating system or computer architecture, or it could be the combination of both. Probably the most familiar platform is Microsoft Windows running on the x86 architecture. Other well-known desktop computer platforms include Linux/Unix and Mac OS X (both of which are themselves cross-platform). There are, however, many devices such as cellular telephones that are also effectively computer platforms but less commonly thought about in that way. Application software can be written to depend on the features of a particular platform—either the hardware, operating system, or virtual machine it runs on. The Java platform is a virtual machine platform which runs on many operating systems and hardware types, and is a common platform for software to be written fo

---
    Fort Collins Kitchen Remodeling | Loveland Kitchen Cabinets