Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Marketing

Help me Name My Business

• 115 posts
    January 13, 2007 12:11 AM EST

Here is an tip for you.

Whatever you name your business........ Before you do.

Search the name in Google.com   Your better to choose a unique name no-one else has.

So if people search for you or your business name in google....... yours is the only site to be listed at the top of the search.

rexiedexie2007-1-13 6:12:38

---
    Regards Michael Clayton (rexiedexie)

My Affiliate Articles & Web Page Traffic

• 97 posts
    January 11, 2007 6:52 AM EST
    How about these:

IT Pros, Inc.
    IT Plus

By the way, I actually like "Geek Squad" too but that`s just me.

---
    Get Your Name in ".com" at the International Internet Authority

• 56 posts
    January 12, 2007 4:59 PM EST

"Aplaxis Networks"

Heck...Just make up a word.

Google did it.

Heck....I did it too when I named my corporation.

Actually Google it from a "Peanuts" cartoon, but Charles Schultz may have taken it from somewhere else!

---
    Daniel the Denim Doctor

• 56 posts
    January 12, 2007 5:07 PM EST
    What about looking at other languages?  How about "Esperto Technologies".  Esperto is Portuguese for smart.  The bonus is that the domain espertotech.com is available.

---
    Daniel the Denim Doctor

• 9 posts
    January 9, 2007 3:42 PM EST
    networking technologies and services

TechWorks
    Network Solutions
    IT Solutions
    ITworks

---
    It is hard to fail, but is worst never to have tried.—FDR

Live your life like you are going to die tomorrow and plan your life like your going to live forever.

Dreams without action are fantasy. Dreams WITH action is reality.

• 9 posts
    January 9, 2007 3:45 PM EST
    Fulcrum Networks (leverage point)
    Quantum IT consulting
    Concept Networks

---

Live your life like you are going to die tomorrow and plan your life like your going to live forever.

• 9 posts
    January 10, 2007 5:12 AM EST

I am done competing here.
    If you would like help contact me at geoff@tangent-creative.com or visit
    tangent-creative.com

One word of wisdom among all these others is to take your customers
    perspective. They are probably not skaterboys. They are professionals
    looking to you for help and solutions-not the word of the day. I do have
    experience in identity work. I have named 2 marketing leading products
    and a 80% market share company.
    Good luck in your venture

---

• 9 posts
    January 10, 2007 8:52 AM EST
    Wow-am I good or what-naming all those companies. LOL

I didn`t take it personally.
    Going on limited info and just throwing out ideas and starting points.
    Name registration is regional and industry specific and you should do a
    quick trademark search to be safe

It`s all subjective-you could make it personal related and you have a ice
    breaker on taking about your name.

---

• 21 posts
    November 21, 2011 7:47 AM EST

I prefer to keep it short and easy to remember and pronounce. :)

---
    how to clear a stuffy nose

• 14 posts
    December 1, 2006 9:19 AM EST
    I had a friend name his company "AS-AP" because beginning with "A" put him at the top of the  phone directory (that was many years ago).  I thought that was a stupid reason until  he told me one day he had made enough money to stop working and travel for 3 years. 

My suggestion is to use something that is simple, short, and easy to remember.  When you are leaving voicemails for clients, you don`t want people to just delete the voicemail because they don`t understand your business name.  You want something that is catchy and interesting.

I did a google on "business name generator", and after some digging came up with a "random name generator".  It might be useful:  http://noemata.net/nbng/

Good luck!
    BigTop2006-12-1 15:20:32
    • 17 posts
    December 1, 2006 10:46 PM EST

Hi just a quick comment.

We all need to keep in mind the spelling, So that we can keep keyword searches productive, an important thing to keep in mind in today’s net enabled world.

A quick example:

At a dinner party a friend recommends a new hairdressers; Quick Cuts and you don’t remember their address, do you think a search for “Quick Cuts” will  necessarily find:

Kwik Cuts

KwiK Kutz

Quick Cutz

Quikk Cutzz

ETC,

On the other hand if you have enough time in your phone calls and advertising to say That’s Quick with a K and Cuts with a K and two Z’s then impropeper spellnz might me axzephtable.

Regards

J

PS: I like the latin post, it sound more established and intelligent, than a company started by a  <deleted by Author>

PSS: sorry NewKid I didn`t want that PS to sound like an accusation that you are a high school geek or are working out of a garage, just that the use of Latin would portray a different type of image to a stereotypical image to that of a tech start up.

brains2006-12-2 5:3:14
    • 17 posts
    December 7, 2006 4:02 PM EST

Hi Newkid,

I have had a couple of days R&R to recover from foot in mouth disease. Again please accept, my appologies, it certainly reinforces the power of a first immpression.

regards

J

• 4 posts
    January 11, 2007 3:05 PM EST
    Once you have some candidate names, you can test them out for free at www.inchorus.com. 

You can ask people to vote on the candidate names such as the example below:
    http://inchorus.com/index.php?page=projects&section=view _project&project_id=8

Or you can ask ask people what connotation does the name bring up like the example below:
    http://inchorus.com/index.php?page=projects&section=view _project&project_id=22

Once you create a question, you can forward it out to your friends and get them to help you.

Good luck!
    Kai
    • 1 posts
    June 19, 2009 5:36 AM EDT
    My response is about two years too late but I`m excited to announce I just launched a site biz called Titles & Taglines -- to help people come up with catchy taglines, cool names for businesses, books, etc. Hope this helps someone else in search of cool name ideas!

Kennerly Clay
    Titles & Taglines
    www.titles-and-taglines.com

kennerly6/19/2009 10:31 AM
    • 4 posts
    December 1, 2006 7:17 AM EST

How about:      IconTech Consulting Group

• 4 posts
    December 1, 2006 7:49 AM EST

it`s a bit too hard to pronounce. 

I prefer to keep it short and easy to remember and pronounce.

Ok....  I just thought it had a nice professional ring to it.  You can cut of the Group at the end to make it shorter.  Or IconTek Consulting.

It also has some meaning behind it with the word `icon` in it.  Here is the definition of icon: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/icon

But obviously you don`t care for the name so....I`ll keep thinking of some other ones for you.

-Kevin-

• 4 posts
    December 1, 2006 11:23 AM EST

I would use Cartess`s suggestion, but I would change them both to a "k", then (since Ikon is fitness company) do a doulbe "k" scheme:

IkkonTekk

Nobody will forget that.

Oh no....That was Kevin`s idea. He gets all the credit

I think his username is StartupnationKB

But those extra K`s make it even sweeter...

Thanks Cartess!

Although, it doesn`t look like he will use it.  Personally, I don`t think IconTek is hard to pronounce.  Its also pretty easy to remember because it has some meaning behind it.  But....he has to love the name to use it. 

Keep thinking of those names.  He`ll know which one to use when he see`s it.  It will be like a light switch turned on inside his head.

-Kevin-

• 165 posts
    January 10, 2007 7:42 AM EST

I have to agree with Cooper...I think you should stray from the typical IT type name...but not toooooo far away. Personally...I don`t want to have to do a ton of searching to figure out what a company does...it saves me a butt-load of time if I know just by their name what I can expect them to do. For instance...if you call yourself Toys R Us...I expect to find toys not electronics...if you call yourself Spruce Consultants...I am invision some dude with the lastname Spruce...but I have no idea what he consults on, soooo I might pass him up for something that is a sure thing for what I am looking for! There is something to be said for the tried and true forms. That said...I haven`t actually come up with anything...my apologies...it took me MONTHS to come up with anything for my non-profit...and it still didn`t make anyone happy but me...so my other piece of advice...stick to what feels good to YOU...but also represents you. No one knows what you do and how you do it as much as you do...even if you do something that everyone is doing...like IT support services! Your business is YOUR businss...and the name of your company will be equally individual.

Here is what I did:

I wrote down random words that were associated with the industry, the business I do, the work I do, my customers, etc. (it was about 6 pages long when I was done). THEN...I started mixing them around...stuffing them together...I wrote out about 4 pages of possible name ideas...then I went through those and scratched the ones that REALLY made my stomach turn to have to say them or put them on letterhead. The ones that were left, I started looking at marketing ability...how easy would it be to put on a business card, letterhead, or a storefront!? I scratched the ones that just WOULD NOT market easily. I just kept working at it until I had it down to about 5 that I liked, marketed well, and were easy enough to understand...THEN...I asked friends, family, strangers, etc. what their opinions were...eventually...I just threw my hands up and went with the one that felt good for me!

Hope that helps...some! Best of luck! If I think of anything REALLY catchy...I will stop back by and let you know!!

---
    Leah Tucker

• 165 posts
    January 11, 2007 11:38 AM EST
    FastTek is a cool name actually...I like that one!

---
    Leah Tucker

• 2 posts
    December 1, 2006 8:25 AM EST

I would use Cartess`s suggestion, but I would change them both to a "k", then (since Ikon is fitness company) do a doulbe "k" scheme:

IkkonTekk

Nobody will forget that.

---
    "That man does the most social good who provides the greatest opportunity for the greatesst number of people"-John D. Rockefeller, Jr.

• 31 posts
    December 13, 2006 8:22 PM EST
    Tech-sounding
    Nemoko Solutions
    Nemoko Technology
    Netek (or NetTek) Solutions
    Systek Solutions
    Zemozo (my personal favorite of the moment)

Visual type names
    Coldbrook Technology
    Oakridge Solutions
    Snapdragon Systems
    Birchwood (Something)

Not that these are awesome, I`m just trying to get some gears turning. 

Ryan
    www.starpointemarketing.com
    Web Development, Hosting, and Marketing Consulting

---
    Ryan J StarPointe Marketing Website Development, Hosting & Marketing Consulting

• 31 posts
    January 9, 2007 6:31 PM EST
    I own a book called the Design-It-Yourself Graphic Workshop by Chuck Green (ISBN 1-59253-088-5) that has a whole section on naming your business.  It was $40 but you could always just go to Barnes & Noble and have a good read. 

There are companies out there that charge thousands of dollars for their naming services but Chuck shares some of their secrets in the book for coming up with logical, memorable, unique names.  It`s definitely worth considering the points he makes. 

Keep us posted on your progress. 
    starpointe2007-1-10 0:32:12

---
    Ryan J StarPointe Marketing Website Development, Hosting & Marketing Consulting

• 18 posts
    January 9, 2007 6:48 PM EST
    Newkid - tech and network names are tough. With the plethora of technology companies out there, these names have been chewed on, regurgitated and hacked to death. Anything Network, Solutions, Tech or Teck is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

You need something unique and innovative. Sorry, I`ve been in tech so long that every name I`ve seen on this thread is about as boring and trite as they come. Everything is "been-there-done-that".

So, all I can offer is some suggestions. First, the ole tried and true hit a Dictionary and Thesaurus site. Thesaurus site is more useful because the off-shoots can start getting wider and wider. Use abstract words and you`ll get even more options to keep checking.

Second, try a few fun word rhyme sites like - http://www.rhymer.com/naming.html  or just do a search for business name tool. There`s a couple of others out there.

Start with one of these boring words and see where it takes you. Spend hours pouring over different variations and above all, say them out loud repeatedly as if you`re selling yourself. Some times what looks good on paper or in writing sounds horrible in audible voice.

BTW... the name you seem to like that has sequoia in it reminds me of a cactus. "First thing that pops into the head." Cactus are prickly, stick you, hurt and don’t evoke anything positive. Well, dry and heat come to mind. -sorry, just being honest.

---
    Shane Cooper http://www.altitudedreamcars.com - Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success!

• 18 posts
    January 10, 2007 2:11 AM EST
    DOH!!!  - okay, I actually knew that Craig.    I was doing the first thing that pops into my head exercise. But, the average service buyer (Or average Joe) might not get the subtle difference when they look at a brochure, website or business card when you have 5 seconds to catch someone`s eye. Like, well, I did at first blush. Of course, pictures and graphics going along with the material may help, but in a signature or quick write up on a document, white paper etc... Not so much.

My mother-in-law use to live in south Tucson and she use to get this mixed up all the time. Tam-ay-toe.... Tom-aw-toe -- See-koy-oh.... Sa-wah-row. Plus, they’re spelled so closely, that it can play tricks on the eye. I personally wouldn’t use it in a name. If you have to “explain” your name, then it’s not worth it.

"There is no reality, only perception..." - (Have no idea who said it, probably Freud.)

I recall a network hardware provider back in the 80’s and early 90’s. Farallon. They made switches, modems and the like, if I remember. Back circa 88’ or so, I attended a trade-show and was in their booth. Everyone was asking, so... where did you get that name and what the heck does it mean. I recall the sales rep stumbling over this long arduous story about the islands off San Francisco....sharks.... crags.... birds..... eggs....  blah... blah... oh, huh.... look at that pretty banner over there... something about “Windows”... turn... leave and never went back.

Point is, if you have to splain yourself, then it’s too late. The Farallon Islands and the story about them is extremely fascinating, but for a network hardware company??? Come on.

---
    Shane Cooper http://www.altitudedreamcars.com - Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success!

• 18 posts
    January 10, 2007 5:46 AM EST
    Tangent - first, don`t take criticism personally. There are a lot of people who`ve been out there and are trying to offer sound advice.

Second, I don`t think some that have posted on this forum are actually in the biz of naming, just been there done that and have been around the block. Wisdom and buyers perspective can help. I`m at a director level that purchases a lot of technology services. The names you proposed are over-used and many are already taken. So, kind of waste of Newkids time really.

TechWorks - old consulting company, been around for 20 plus years.
    Network Solutions - Large Hosting Domain provider (Oldest in the biz)
    IT Solutions - Over-worked and over used.
    ITworks - Hm???? BORING to me and it`s just my opinion.
    Fulcrum Networks (leverage point) (Fulcrum Microsystems exists)
    Quantum IT consulting - Huge hard-drive and tape drive manufacture. They have consulting branch that uses this name.
    Concept Networks - broadband/DSL provider

These names are boring and as a long time buyer of technical services would a)either get them confused and/or b)look right over the typical. Everyone who can print a business card writes, network this and tech that. BORING!

Now, if they`re just hung up on a given name, then some of the naming depends on region versus national. However, if you`d googled most of these names, you`d see that they`re all taken.

PS.. I have no vested interest or am self promoting, just offering a perspective. 8-)
    coscooper2007-1-10 11:50:44

---