Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Public Relations

Do small businesses pay for press release services?

• 51 posts
    December 5, 2012 10:52 PM EST

Actually writing of press releases is mostly done by the businesses' public relations agency itself. I don't think it happens on an individual level. Or you could get employed in a company or a PR agency as a content writer.

---
    Customer analytics | growth strategy

• 11 posts
    June 15, 2013 1:19 AM EDT

Yes they give this facility and i think they will charge a very little amount from you. 

---
    Project Templates

• 76 posts
    October 22, 2007 3:46 AM EDT

Hi Shayla,

Small businesses do purchase press-release writing services. For current fees, I would suggest checking with other writers in your local area and conducting an Internet search. We actually offer this service through StartupNation too.

I wish you all the best,

Melanie

---
    Melanie Rembrandt
    CEO, Rembrandt Communications®, LLC
    Visit www.rembrandtwrites.com for valuable PR tips and SEO copywriting help!
    Twitter: @RembrandtWrites

• 7 posts
    February 18, 2013 9:29 AM EST

There are some small businesses that will hire freelance writers for press releases. I recommend going to freelance websites like Elance or ODesk to begin with. Here you will both find projects to apply for as well as get an idea of what others are charging for this type of service. The payment is really all over the board, so you will have to decide yourself what you think your services are worth. 

Do you have PR experience already? Then you should be able to charge a bit more for your services. If you are just starting out, consider writing a few releases for clients at a lower wage. This will help you build up your portfolio to help you snag the bigger wages further on down the road. 

Good luck in your endeavors. 

• 10 posts
    February 22, 2013 4:27 PM EST

Hi Shayla,

I am sure small businesses with no PR agency would go to individual PR agents for a low cost solution. As for the price, PRpro's suggestion is good. You can also check sites like Fiverr.com for idea on the price or some other popular freelancing sites.

---
    Patrick Meyer - C-level Advisor, Business 3.0 Thought Leader & Keynote Speaker. For more info, visit at http://www.patrickmeyer.com.

• 46 posts
    October 21, 2007 9:55 AM EDT
    Hello.

I am interested in writing press releases for small businesses. Do they pay for this type of service? If so, what would be a good price per release? Where can I advertise? Thanks.

---
    S. Price
    info@iambuzzworthy.com
    http://iambuzzworthy.com
    Every Business Deserves Attention!

• 12 posts
    July 13, 2014 9:04 AM EDT
    With online media outlets like prweb and prnewswire, and a slew of news release templates and examples online, it's easier than ever for a sole prop to craft his own release and distribute it to the right channels. So, "yes" individual people are fully capable of writing and distributing their own press release. Your angle for a business service would be how you can do that job better for them or so they don't have to waste the time themselves. People don't care about your ability to write a release for them or not. They only care about two things and that's how many phone calls they get from a release or how many websites posted the release with a link back to their website. Show those results and that's what will get you more paying clients.
    • 3 posts
    October 21, 2014 9:54 AM EDT
    If you are a small business your money is better spent anywhere else. I have been working media relations for a decade. Back in the day press release distribution services were a valuable tool in getting your information to key journalists quickly and easily across the country. Today we have the internet and the role of these services has changed. Still quickly and easily distributes your release but 9 times out of 10 they don't end up in a journalist's hands and they don't get turned into articles which your customers will then read.

What happens to them? They get auto posted in the deep dark corners of legitimate news sights like MSNCB or YahooNews in their "press release section" if you ever go to the normal main pages of these sites and try to find any of the wire content which you can find when you do a regular google, you will not be able to. THe reason you can get to these through the normal channels is that all those releases are used solely for SEO purposes. The other sites your release will end up on are junk sites which post random content as a reason to generate their ad revenue. Those are the sites you never go to on your own.
    The value of a wire or PR service release is solely in terms of SEO. For the costs with it though ,there are more effective and cheaper ways to do this if all you are looking for is SEO.

If you area small business and want to save money while building SEO and maybe even generate some interest in the content of your release. Post the release on your website. Then break it down to some key points and use those for social media posts which link back to that page on your site. If the info is really interesting or applies to your target audience you could 1)drive site traffic and 2) spread word of your news to those who are most valued at having for the low cost of 0 dollars.

There is one last true value to wire services. If you are a public company it is a great way to fill the requirement of making all company news public.

My firm is always happy to give out free PR advice without you having to sit through a sales pitch so reach out if you have any other questions.