Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Sales

Am I Driving Potential Clients Away?

• 110 posts
    January 19, 2012 5:53 AM EST

Hi Sharron,

One idea is not to ask for all the money before the final product is delivered. Maybe go for 50% before the project is delivered and 50% once the client sees the end product and confirm they are happy. I am not sure how the end consumer is protected by giving you all the money up front.  Also what does the contract do for you? Maybe do away with it while you are starting out or if the project is really small until you build up clients and a reputation. Most business relationships are protected under common laws as well.  Another thought is you can join a freelance community where they have escrow, arbitration and other business tools that make the process smooth and less intimidating to new clients.

• 4 posts
    January 15, 2012 1:11 PM EST

I recently retired from my job as a software developer from a reputable defense company. I am 33 years old and decided I would go into business for myself Sealed. Right now I am living in Alabama (moved from Arizona) and I am working as a web design/developer to raise the necessary funds to launch my software company. 

In doing business with individuals, I am finding that they love my work, they are eager to work with me, they love my prices but the minute I send them the contract they bail. Cry

Initially I create a project overview just to make sure I understood their requirements and a quote and if they accept the quote I send them a basic contract for services... every time they bail. I don't understand why this keeps happening. Undecided

The contract is basic, simple to understand... payments are to be made in 3 installments and I must be paid first before they receive product. It protects both of us from loss. 

I love what I do and I am a very friendly and outgoing person and I think maybe thats what leads them to me but when they see that I am serious about my business they are turned off.

Oh, another thing is that the men are overly friendly and even flirtatious and hey thats fine I love admiration from the opposite sex but are they interested in me or my services? Kiss

I really don't understand and it is affecting my business adversely. 

Is there anything I can do? Is there anything I can read?

Thank you in advance Cool

---
    ---- Enjoy Your LIfe!, Sharron Denice Lazy Girl Creations, LLC When you do what you Love, it's never work. w: www.lazygirlcreations.com blog: www.lazygirlcreations.com/blog fb: www.facebook.com/lazygirlcreations twitter: www.twitter.com/lazygirlcreates c: 520.261.5299

• 4 posts
    January 19, 2012 6:59 AM EST

Actually payments are made in three installments and at each milestone I have a deliverable for my clients so even if they bail mid contract they still have part of the product.

---
    ---- Enjoy Your LIfe!, Sharron Denice Lazy Girl Creations, LLC When you do what you Love, it's never work. w: www.lazygirlcreations.com blog: www.lazygirlcreations.com/blog fb: www.facebook.com/lazygirlcreations twitter: www.twitter.com/lazygirlcreates c: 520.261.5299