Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Selecting a Business for Yourself

Starting a junk/clutter removal business.

• 107 posts
    May 25, 2010 9:52 AM EDT

This is a great idea. Any business that requires minimal start up capital has a stronger chance of making it big. What's there to lose anyway.

---
    Seo Consultant | Rattan | Microsoft Dynamics Nav | Autism Singapore | Industrial For Rent | Business Park | Gallbladder Surgery Singapore

• 3 posts
    December 7, 2011 9:31 AM EST

I've been running a junk removal business (my own) for a while and here are some main points you'll want to consider to help succeed in the industry:

1. Find a truck big enough to eliminate multiple trips to the dump or recycling center for your average customer.

2. Try to negotiate special rates at the dump or recycling center as a frequent customer.

3. Do everything humanly possibly to pick up a customer's junk on the same day they call. The last thing they want is stuff lying around their house waiting to be picked up. Use this as a selling feature.

Brad
    Brad's Junk Removal Vancouver

• 3 posts
    March 8, 2012 2:03 PM EST

Yes, scouring your local CraigsList ads for free stuff or stuff that's being thrown out is a good way to develop some immediate leads. Even creating a CraigsList post for a junk removal service being offered may produce some business. It never hurts, and its free.

I also wanted to mention that another way to look at starting a junk removal business is to visit your local dump, or wherever you'll be dropping off most of your junk. Get a feel for the process and their rates, and you can incorporate that into what you need to charge to achieve a profit.

Brad

Brad's Junk Removal Vancouver

• 3 posts
    April 5, 2012 10:15 AM EDT

Yes, like any business or startup there is some level of risk involved, in my case with junk removal, it's easier to limit the initial startup risk as far as finances go. I don't have to pay for location-based office, and the employees I hire don't have to be highly skilled and demand high salaries. The dump fees are a recurring cost, but only one I incur as a result of business coming my way, so that is acceptable. The biggest up front cost is the truck. You need something reliable and big enough to eliminate multiple trips. Overall its a pretty safe business to get into, assuming the market isn't already saturated.

Junk Removal Vancouver
    Brad's Junk Removal

• 44 posts
    May 11, 2008 3:43 PM EDT
    After months of research into what it is I would like to do while in college I have come up with junk/clutter removal being the best. I am going to work three jobs over the summer so I can buy a truck and get started. If there is anyone out there in this business please offer me some advice as to the best way to get started, and how to price certain jobs. I would like to be able to create a business to compete with the big names in this industry while I am in school and then see where that takes me.
    • 3 posts
    January 13, 2012 11:27 AM EST

Like anything relating to small business, before starting one on your own, regardless of your idea, you need to consider how much time it is going to take to run it successfully. Not only will you have to do the grunt work, or provide the service that makes you money, but then you will need to spend your "time off" still working on the business. You spend this off time working because that is when you are keeping books, looking for leads, etc. Good Luck!

Junk Dawgs

www.junkdawgs.com

• 28 posts
    March 12, 2012 11:23 PM EDT

i would really aperiatiate your ideas. Go  for it, but also remember that the risk factor is what matters a lot in that.

thank you

---
    Personal Finance | personal finance tips

• 1 posts
    March 4, 2012 6:50 PM EST

I own a junk removal company and it is extemely profitable if done right. Right being selling the "good stuff" people throw away on craigslist. It pays for my dumping fees monthly!!

steve 

• 2 posts
    May 24, 2011 12:14 PM EDT

Hey Chris,

This is not a bad idea.  We just launched our startup junk hauling company: We Heart Junkhttp://www.weheartjunkremoval.com/

Its been a long process but it is rewarding work and you get to drive a cool truck around all day while hauling junk!

---
    Ian McKinney CEO We Heart Junk www.weheartjunk.com

• 3 posts
    December 21, 2012 7:29 PM EST

alister91 lol ..I have a master's and still pull more off junk hauling than my day job. Obviously, get your education. The point i am trying to express is you may very well fall in love with the junk removal Industry. Another thing you can do during the Winter (depending on location) is Ice Removal. Just strive to provide complete satisfaction for your costumers junk removal needs, you'll do fine.

---
    junk removal Indianapolis

• 3 posts
    December 20, 2012 6:28 AM EST

We are a Junk Pick up Removal Indianapolis Company. All the Post I have seen have been excellent advice. Monitor your online company presence. Always go the etra mile for your costumers and Work hard. You will succeed. We've been in the hauling business for years and couldn't be happier. Other related industries you can easily get into are Hot tub removal, Cash for junk cars, and Ice removal Indianapolis Gets pretty rough winters. So obviously that's region specific. When looking for a good truck, Go for volume, not so much weight. Most jobs require space. Work your way up to the heavy debris Jobs.

---

• 3 posts
    December 24, 2012 5:10 PM EST

Zhangpeylin please dont spam this forum. This is only about junk removal

---

• 1 posts
    January 23, 2009 1:52 PM EST
    we have a complete junk removal business startup kit.  visit www.yourjunkbiz.com

dave

• 106 posts
    December 16, 2011 12:42 AM EST

Hey that sounds good but never ever thought of such kind of business, presently I'm making my living through trading and what I feel is, it is the most lucrative market and extremely profitable and super easy to get started with.

trade forex | review broker forex

• 2 posts
    March 12, 2012 8:44 PM EDT

Has junk business ahs a great income has you have to just buy the junk in small amount and sell it to the recycling companies in a higher rate will generate good turn over.

Free Ecommerce software | hosted Ecommerce software 

• 331 posts
    January 27, 2009 2:35 PM EST
    chris,

apologies for no specific suggestions or help on your business except you may want to incorporate a slight twist in your service that differentiates you from others...

for example, in my city we have no "recyclable" items pick up.  so all the paper, bottles etc end of going in the garbage.  after all how many people will go out of their way to separate that stuff and go throw it where it can be reused right?

ive called the city two years in a row now and they really want to implement a recycle pick up weekly but for some reason just have not moved forward. wonder how many cities actually do this?

so i suggested providing all interested households with a recycle container / dumpster.  if this is available at home people would be naturally willing to use it.  its a win win for everyone and we will all be doing our part to help keep the environment clean.

maybe someone can start a service like this and approach the cities/municipalities? with a growing green initiative this can be the next greenest idea candidate on the SUN annual competition :)

---
    The Extra Money Blog
    Make Extra Money Online - Paid Surveys
    File an Airline Complaint - Sue the Airline
    Dubai Information
    Accounts Receivable Factoring
    Structured Settlements
    Raw Food for Dogs
    Care of Bamboo Plants

• April 16, 2014 9:34 AM EDT

I started a junk removal business We Heart Junk in 2010 and it has done well.  The key to our succes, outside of the basic ins and outs of operation (dump, managing employees, equipment, etc) was when we got serious about our SEO (search engine optimization).  There are lots of little niches you can do well with in the junk biz by just blogging about your day to day operations.  Our business probably doubled when we focused more on SEO and PPC and less on traditional ads like radio and valpak mailers. 

Also remember that your Trucks are depreciable assets and someday you'll have to replace them.  If you can save some of your profit and pay for the new trucks with cash, you'll be way ahead of the game.

This post was edited by austininteractivedesign at April 16, 2014 9:36 AM EDT