Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Commercializing Your Invention

How to license a SERVICE business

• 355 posts
    September 17, 2008 5:18 PM EDT
    Hi,
    If you are talking about a business license, Here is a general rule from my state licensing board.  A business offering a tangible product (basically a solid object) for sale has to get a license.  Further, anything done by said business to generate profit requires the business to have a license.  IE., putting an ad in the newspaper.

It depends on the type of service you are offering also.  In my state, a writer does not have to have a business license.  But a company that runs a carpet cleaning service may be required to get a local license.

---
    The older we get, the more excuses we make for not chasing after our dreams. But truth is, goals are attainable at any age.

• 3 posts
    September 17, 2008 9:53 AM EDT
    I have been doing research on franchising vs. licensing and want to learn more about licensing a service business. Im stuck and haven`t really found too much information on doing such. Also, if anyone knows of a service business that is licensed, please list them so that I may research them. Again, licensed service businesses only, not franchised service business. Thanks in advance and I look forward to all replys.
    • 3 posts
    September 17, 2008 7:37 PM EDT
    No im not talking about a business license. Im asking how to license a service business, like you would license a product. I would be the licensor and would sell to licensees?