Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Protecting Your Ideas

Legalities of bringing a product to market (UK)

• 1 posts
    July 5, 2013 3:13 PM EDT

I am in the final stages of designing a product. It is not a new product but is simply an improvement of previous attempts. The branding will be a strong element of the products appeal.

I know this is a broad question but from what I understand I will need to trademark the brand, but a patent isn't necessary? Any help is appreciated

• 10 posts
    October 7, 2014 8:30 AM EDT
    If you think about protecting your intellectual property you should definitely read this article:
    http://labs.octivi.com/intellectual-property-guide-for-startups/
    • 27 posts
    October 30, 2014 8:13 PM EDT
    A trademark is the idetifier of a certain product, it is a recognizable sign that represent a company or a certain product. It protects something that is used to identify where a product or a service comes from. It is not the thing being describe but it describe something. On the other hand, Patents is granted to protect inventions. In order to get a patent your invention must be novel, which means it must be unique from previous inventions, it also must be useful and non obvious. A patent number is granted to every invention that meets all requirements.