Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Building a Website that Works

Building your own website

• 12 posts
    December 19, 2012 6:55 PM EST

Nice sharing guys keep it up good job thanks for sharing :)

---
    Custom Logo Design

• 1 posts
    November 10, 2006 1:12 AM EST

Hi!

I`m in the same quandary as rvdebby -- need a website w/ shopping capabilities...I really want to do it myself, but I do not have any experience.  After reading all the responses, I think I can do some learning and then make my decision as to whether to hire a pro or do it myself.  Thanks for all the help.  However, how do I go about finding a good pro (someone who won`t rip you off)!  My small biz is still in start up mode (only been in business for a year) and funds are very scarce!

Thanks

allie

• 115 posts
    November 7, 2006 7:52 PM EST

Hi Deb

It does not have to be expensive to make a web page.

I suggest you learn html basics first, it only takes about 10 days to master. This will answer many of your questions also.

HTML is basic web page language.  Lean this free ....

See http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/html/

Once you have done this you will be in a better position to make a decision.

What ever you spend on your web page you will need about 10 times as much money to promote it...

Web pages do not make the money it is the ability to get enough people to see your page and entice them to make purchases that makes you money.

You will need 10,000 visits a day if you want to make ongoing income. Also allow three months after you start to promote it before income starts to come in.

rexiedexie2006-11-8 1:53:52

---
    Regards Michael Clayton (rexiedexie)

My Affiliate Articles & Web Page Traffic

• 115 posts
    November 7, 2006 9:38 PM EST

Nuevolution

You obviously did not visit html goodies.

I am not suggesting anyone make their own web pages even though I did a week after I did html basics.

I`m am just saying they will learn a lot and be in a better position to judge.

rexiedexie2006-11-8 3:40:18

---

• 115 posts
    November 9, 2006 1:11 PM EST

Deb,

No doubt you now have lots to consider. Deb I would just like to mention this.

Web pages must not remain stagnant and I am sure you will want to up date information on your pages often to keep them interesting. Regardless who creates your page tray and keep it basic so you can update information on your pages yourself. Make sure the page loads fast as people only give a page a few seconds to load. If the page stalls uploading people leave before it loads.

It will cost you a lot of money if you are constantly paying your web developer to update it for you. Also if you know html you can create you own doorway pages to get more traffic.  Traffic to your web page is what makes you money, not your web page on its own..

rexiedexie2006-11-9 19:11:54

---

• 115 posts
    July 16, 2012 7:54 PM EDT

Hello All

I have been building web pages like crazy.

This one will interest you all. I can teach you to build pages without knowing any code. No tools required. Just hosting Account.

See http://freeads.love-au.com

---

• 22 posts
    November 6, 2006 2:08 AM EST
    I would also recommend you talk to a professional simply because there are a lot of other factors and considerations that you may need to think about. On the web design side, you have to consider things like CSS, search engine optimization techniques (eg meta tags, keywords), browser compatibility, accessibility requirements, etc. There`s also many different web languages: html, jsp, asp, php, etc. Most common now is php

The posters above are right about shopping carts. It gets more complicated and should be left not be taken lightly

However, if you are pretty tech savvy and have some interest in it, as a developer, I would stay away from MS Front Page. It`s terrible. Something like Adobe/Macromedia Dreamweaver is probably the most user friendly for web design. Don`t forget you`ll also need some kind of image manipulation program like Adobe Photoshop to create your logos/headers/images, etc that you are going to use for your website.

Any questions, let me know.....Good luck!

---
    Brandon Eng, Owner, Lead Studios

Play sports? Find other Toronto players @ www.sportaholik.com

• 17 posts
    November 8, 2006 8:18 AM EST
    Hi Deb,

Just like all the other designers / developers who have responded, of course my bias is firmly on the side of recognizing the value in hiring a professional to do a professional job.  Too many people confuse the artist with their tools... that is, they reckon if they buy a paintbrush (i.e. software), then they too can paint a masterpiece.

As for publishing software, most professionals use Adobe InDesign.  It`s a trick to learn for beginners, but it is easy enough to find an instructional course at your local college.

All the best,

Chanie

---
    Sage Media :: Full Service Graphic Design Firm    |   Portfolio     |   Blog

• 184 posts
    November 7, 2006 2:51 AM EST
    There are a lot of "experts" that specialize in small site design - which depending on your needs, might work for you.

Exactly what I was thinking. If you consult a pro, they can help you decide what`s really necessary to begin with and what you can / should hold off on until a later date, in order for everything to be cost effective for you. They can get you started with a design (template design probably, to save you money) and you can focus your dollars on the aspects of the website that really need it.

Some places even offer monthly payments as opposed to a huge upfront cost. (We do, anyway.) It does sound like you need some advice from a professional, because you do want to lay a good foundation for your future website to grow on. A good web developer should be able to help you define short term goals that will get you headed in the right direction, and long term goals that will get you where you eventually want to go.

Hope this helps.

• 184 posts
    November 8, 2006 2:17 AM EST
    I agree with Michael in that anyone can learn HTML. It`s not all that hard as long as you`re willing to spend a lot of time with an html book (or online reference) to help you remember stuff. Once you get the basic hang of it, you only really need reference materials to remind you of the small stuff you forget.

But there`s more to a website than html, of course. Design, usability, interactivity, marketing ability - these are all important issues that will sometimes make or break whether a web visitor chooses to stay at your site or go to a competitor`s site. Total user experience is of great importance.

You can learn how to do all of these things, of course. It`s just a matter of how much time you want to spend doing it. I`ve seen people really put their nose to the grind and they are able to do a pretty good job. It all sort of depends on what skills they had to begin with. Some people are naturally good designers. Some people take to coding really easily. But rarely are they able to produce the level of quality and efficiency of a team of developers who have lots of experience.

That being said, clients who`ve come to us after having tried to create their own web presence are often more web savvy and have clear-cut ideas about what they want the website to do. They understand the way the web works. This makes our job as developers easier :-)

Good luck, no matter which route you choose!
    • 23 posts
    July 29, 2012 10:38 PM EDT

during the past six months, I set aside coding HTML or paying for
    Content Management System hosting/design. Instead, I found the
    coolest, most fun software I`ve used in my 25 years of printing and
    publishing:

http://AddictsRehabilitationCenter.com

---
    addicts rehabilitation center website

• 36 posts
    November 6, 2006 10:49 AM EST
    Deb,

I agree with the forum`s consensus that you want to consult a professional. Designing a website is an involved process, and it helps to have a knowledgeable person in your corner if not leading the way for you.

As far as publishing software goes, PageMaker or MS Publisher are great tools.  If you`re looking for free/cheap, check out Scribus. It looks like a great tool, although I can`t personally vouch for it. It seems to have a great community around it as well, which would help if you have trouble.

---
    Dan Pickett
    Principal
    Enlight Solutions, Inc.

www.enlightsolutions.com
    www.twitter.com/dpickett

• 36 posts
    November 7, 2006 3:41 PM EST

I generally agree with the advice given about consulting an "expert" to design your website you don`t have to shell out endless $$ to have a quality site.  There are a lot of "experts" that specialize in small site design - which depending on your needs, might work for you.

This is a really great point! A good professional won`t try to sell you everything under the sun. He or she will show you what`s practical.

Pagemaker is a great application, but Publisher should be able to accommodate the majority of your needs. One thing I`ve noticed though is that Printing companies generally prefer Adobe formatted files. If you`re going to print from home, I would stick with Publisher. You might find that later on Pagemaker will become a viable option, but if you learn you away around one publishing app, it shouldn`t be too hard moving to another one.

---
    Dan Pickett
    Principal
    Enlight Solutions, Inc.

www.enlightsolutions.com
    www.twitter.com/dpickett

• 1 posts
    November 9, 2006 1:16 PM EST
    RVDebby: You CAN produce a high-quality website that is distinctive,
    professional and manageable. I wouldn`t have said that two years ago, but
    today, I know it because I had to do it...several times.

During the past six months, I set aside coding HTML or paying for
    Content Management System hosting/design. Instead, I found the
    coolest, most fun software I`ve used in my 25 years of printing and
    publishing: It`s called RapidWeaver < http://www.realmacsoftware.com/
    rapidweaver >. Go to their gallery section to see what it can really do for
    average people like us.

What I love about this tool is that I can manage my site on my laptop and
    synch it up whenever I want to. And, the themes are among the most
    professional and graphically pleasing that I`ve seen for awhile.

Plus, the software easily allows you to integrate those hosted services
    such as a shopping cart. It really is the best of all worlds.

The only "drawback?" It`s a Mac-only application. However, during the
    past six months, I`ve had three clients actually purchase either a used Mac
    or a MacMini after seeing my use of this application. It`s that impressive.

During my career, I`ve helped organizations make their first endeavor
    onto the Internet and navigated the rapids of html and content
    management. I know the value of a good image and professional
    demeanor. And I value a good graphic designer.

Until you can afford the professionals, RapidWeaver fills the bill. You can
    do it. I did.

---
    Serve People. Solve Problems. Smile. WallaWallaWilly

• 56 posts
    November 10, 2006 11:01 AM EST

check out my website - it was easy to do.

I am not an WEBSITE Designer PROFESSIONAL.

But I am going to be the first to admit I dont like my own website.

Why because it was the result of a cookie cutter program that walk me through the step.

Reading HTML/XHTML and CSS isnt hard.

There is a good  author Elizabeth Castro and she is an expert on the matter.

But the thing is - dont be intimidate by the thought of a website. Keep the concept of "KISS" but at the same time plan to involve in a state of the art website that would be on the level of amazon.com .. shoot i even remember when amazon.com first came out it was pretty much a simple website that blew up to a very state of art experience.

If you can surf the net you can pretty much get an idea of what you want.

Matter of fact - if you dont have a site yet - get the name register ASAP! I cant stress that enough!

Plan your site - what is the purpose of the site?

I have 6 websites and I just purchase 5 of them and they are current dormant but pretty soon will be active.

Building a website is like building a new town in the wild wild west. Eventually it will grow into something big. Or it could go bust and turn into a ghost town and you will think tumbleweeds was running across your lawn.

Whatever software website editing tool you are comfortable with you should use it based on your ease of use.

I personally use 1and1 as my register and hosting company and I may use godaddy but I just wish go daddy would bundle it package together and do a better job of pricing more better.

Just make sure you have a SSL for your transaction or you wont look so hot.

PayPal is ok but if you an ebay vet you would want to avoid them like the eloba plauge!

Let me hush cuz it is happy hour time for me lol and I am about to brainstorm over shot of patron with my entourage.

• 8 posts
    November 4, 2006 2:07 PM EST

If everyone here doesn`t already know, there is a free software at www.nvu.com that is just as good as frontpage (minus the $100 you have to spend). 

Just in case you guys want to lower your overhead!

EBizAlan2006-11-4 21:8:24

---

"Discover How I`m PERSONALLY Helping Entrepreneurs Make Money On The Internet..."

• 2 posts
    November 9, 2006 9:50 AM EST

Besides being in agreement with many people in that you should hire a professional, I do have two other alternatives to offer...

1) The ProStores.com route.  For $30 / month, you can get an automated Shopping Cart with ProStores.com.   I found it to be very confusing at first.  But the major PLUS was that the ProStores technical support was always accessible and very helpful in guiding me with certain things. 

ProStores also has package prices availabe to customize a website for you.  I think it runs around $400, but don`t quote me on this.

2) DIY Route with Fantastico which is a suite of "open-source" tools available with most website hosting packages (ie: www.siteocity.com).  In this suite are various E-Commerce tools.  Check out: http://www.siteground.com/fantastico.htm

E-Commerce options include :

CubeCart (3.0.10)
    OS Commerce (2.2 MS2 (051113))
    Zen Cart
    (1.3.0)

GOOD LUCK!

• 731 posts
    November 5, 2006 11:53 AM EST

Building your own web site!
    The question remains... Altough, many entrprenuers like to take matters into their own hands, they like to take on a project like "building a web site"...
    My questions to you is? How much knowledge do you have on web design?
    Are you artistic enough to take on a project of this nature?

Remember, although keeping your overhead low is always a concern for many company`s... It can hinder your business in a way that you wont imagine.
    Why? because.... Your internet presentation has to do alot with how people are going to see your business... When a client visits your web site, it has to have appeal, easy to navigate... The least you need is for your company`s web site too look like something a 10 year old created while fiddling around with MS Frontpage or MS Publisher.

Remember, MS Publisher is what it is... Its for publishing internal marketing and communication letters... It is not intended to give you the corporate presentation that the company that you work for seeks....
    When I talk to my clients and they ask me: should we build the web site on our own and you just look it over? My answer is No, I will not help you... Why?
    Because a web designer is a professional that understands how things work on the internet... Just like you wouldn`t paint your own car, would you?
    Just imagine yourself painting your car, would you get the same results as if you where to take it to Joes Body Shop?

Web Design doesn`t always have to be expensive, you can find good web designers out there that will give you a good web presentation.
    My answer to your posting is: LEAVE IT TO A PROFESSIONAL
    Down the road you are going to see that, what you though was going to be expensive, fits in good with the budget you set aside for your web site.
    Another thing, Shopping carts aren`t something you want to touch if you don`t have the knowledge to go along with it.

Remember you will be collecting clients critical information. How are you going to protect your clients from the internet (hackers).. How are you going to process credit cards? Paypal? CC? what type of Security are you going to have on the checkout?

There is more to a shopping cart that alot of people don`t understand... Or they simply just don`t care.

---
    Edgar Monroy
    Web Developer / Owner / Consultant
    When starting your own business the need to "know-how" is greater than money!
    http://www.nuevolution.net

• 731 posts
    November 7, 2006 8:08 PM EST

Hi Deb

It does not have to be expensive to make a web page.

I suggest you learn html basics first, it only takes about 10 days to master. This will answer many of your questions also.

HTML is basic web page language.  Lean this free ....

See http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/html/

Once you have done this you will be in a better position to make a decision.

What ever you spend on your web page you will need about 10 times as much money to promote it...

Web pages do not make the money it is the ability to get enough people to see your page and entice them to make purchases that makes you money.

You will need 10,000 visits a day if you want to make ongoing income. Also allow three months after you start to promote it before income starts to come in.

Now that is funny, Master html in ten days?
    Sir I am a vb.net, asp, php, coldfusion, and C++ developer and sometimes I have to go back to the old html.... I been a web designer and developer for almost 10 years... Now how can someone master a programming language in 10 days?
    Again, if you want to have your web site looking like a 10 year old designed it... That`s a different story..
    Best wishes...

Deb,
    If you need consulting feel free to call me, Its free to consult.. Unlimited time.

---
    Edgar Monroy
    Web Developer / Owner / Consultant
    When starting your own business the need to "know-how" is greater than money!
    http://www.nuevolution.net

• 3 posts
    January 17, 2012 9:18 PM EST

These are the best way for site build your site like:: Forum posting , Directory Submission , Press release , Classified Submission , Blog Commenting ......

---
    [url=http://www.nitrotek.nl/rc-autos/1-10st-rtr-nitro-autos.html]rc modelbouw[/url]

• 1 posts
    November 10, 2006 8:37 AM EST

Hi all,

Well, a very good alternative is use some class of portal technology, the best i know is DotNetNuke. With a portal solution, you can organize the content the way you want (flexibility depends on what portal you choose). It is very user friendly even to people without coding skills. If you want to know more, you can go to http://demo.dotnetnuke.com/ where you can experiment yourself with the portal, or go to http://www.dotnetnuke.com/ to know more about the product (it is free).

Im a software developer and find this a very good solution, you can decide to pay for hosting (there are many dotnetnuke hosting services) or you can host the portal in your server.

It is designed to be flexible so you will notice you can customize your portal in many ways, and things like (user feedback, forums, etc etc, are included, there are also shopping cart modules), its very easy to use, and another plus is a great community supporting it.

(there are another portals, like mambo, but DotNetNuke is my fav)

Good luck

Hugo

sans2006-11-10 14:42:33
    • 39 posts
    December 18, 2012 12:08 AM EST

Build a effective and impressive website is easy task because most of the site gives a good opportunity to built your own website with free of cost.

---
    Best PSD To Joomla template

• 21 posts
    March 29, 2012 11:44 PM EDT

Building the website must be good deal with greater business growth from the internet marketing. You could get more client and customer to your business. You could get increase your business growth by building these website.

---
    Magento Development India | Magento Developer India | Magento eCommerce Development

• 13 posts
    July 20, 2012 4:37 AM EDT

I've taken a lot away from the tips on this thread, thanks guys.Smile

---
    Windows 8 Download - Internet Speed - Kino Der Toten Strategy - Freebies

• 0 posts
    November 16, 2006 2:16 AM EST

My feedback to you is the following: think of website as your storefront.Now, imagine people walking through that door every day to buy your product, just think about the impact on your customer of the colors you chose for your store front, the decoration and the design of the shelves where they pick up the pruducts from. So, if you have the skills of a building contractor, the skills of a painter, the skills of an archtect, the skills of a carpenter, and the skills of an electrician, you should go right ahead and build your own storefront.

MS

---
    jump! jump! jump!...didn`t it feel good!!!