Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Building a Website that Works

Building your own website

• 0 posts
    November 16, 2006 10:52 AM EST

I agree with GregL. The only thing I`d add is, your house is your house and whether or not people like your taste, it is still yours. No matter how much you put into that house, you are the one who has to live in it. I, for instance, am 6`9" tall, as I built my house I had to make sure things were custom made. Sinks had to be higher, bathtub had to be longer and doors had to be taller.

As for the storefront, you are not building it for yourself, but for customers, they are the ones who have to have a good experience as they go inside.

MS

---
    jump! jump! jump!...didn`t it feel good!!!

• 0 posts
    November 16, 2006 4:15 PM EST

CraigL - Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Good luck.

MS

---
    jump! jump! jump!...didn`t it feel good!!!

• 10 posts
    November 8, 2006 7:23 AM EST

I think if you have a background in Design it helps with the website design. I did our website in FrontPage and think it isn`t too bad. It is my first attempt at website design. It isn`t hard to do after you get the concept that it is just a lot of pages linked. I am going to add a shopping cart when we start our sublimation printing and that will be a challenge but I was able to design my own site. See what you think.

www.alltechprinting.com

Mary

• 1 posts
    November 6, 2006 12:03 PM EST

I generally agree with the advice given about consulting an "expert" to design your website you don`t have to shell out endless $$ to have a quality site.  There are a lot of "experts" that specialize in small site design - which depending on your needs, might work for you.

---
    Jill Martin | Martin Management Quality Business Solutions for Smart Business http://www.virtualprofessional.ca

• 35 posts
    November 9, 2006 12:18 PM EST

Hi RVDEBBY

I struggled with this problem several years ago.  Since I am computer literate (over the years I did lots of programming) I opted to build my own site using Bigstep.  You may want to look at my web site, www.NortonTownsley.com.  Doesn`t look too bad, if I say so myself.

Right now we are having a professional build our new Firm web site.  If you click on the link you will get our current web site, which was built by one of our partners using Frontpage, I beleive.  It`s not very elegant but does provide the information.  I have taken over the task of updating it.  You have to use FTP and upload files.  I mostly make small changes to the html code. 

There are plenty of places where you can build a template driven web site.  I think they are very useable and not very expenisve. 

BTW,  Microsoft Word also allows you to read and write html files.  You design what you want and just save it as Web Site.  This is html.  You can also see the html in a web site.  I forget how this is done but browse through help.  I`m sure it does not have all the capabilities of Frontpage but I`m sure it is very serviceable.

Good luck.

---
    Norton R. Townsley
    Patent Attorney/Professional Engineer
    The above message is provided for general information purposes only and is not to be construed as legal advice.

• 3 posts
    November 9, 2006 2:41 PM EST

Just a quick thought:

I certainly am far from a programmer, and dont have alot of time to learn it either.  And I am a small time marketer, so I dont have alot of money to pay a developer.  So I took the real easy way out - with SHOPIFY.  It`s a "WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET" answer to an online store.  It goes something like this:  Pick a design, now add a product description, now upload a picture, now put it in a category and price it!  And PRESTO you are done!  And it has a good enough shopping cart linked to PAYPAL.  I built a website with about 70 products in about 4 hours.

I dont have to pay hosting fees, or software costs, or monthly shopping cart fees, or developers costs.  What I DO have to pay is 10% of every sale.  I was happy with this for starters.  I already had a domain so i just put a link on my domain www.ethingsworldwide.com to my catalog: http://ethingsworldwide.myshopify.com.  You can check it out yourself at www.shopify.com

It is by far not the greatest, and I will definitely go to something better in the future.  But for starters, its great for me.  And for my matching brochures, I just downloaded the design of the website into my WP software!

Thanks for listening!

Mark

---
    mark OLDFRENCHY mark@ethingsworldwide,com

• 1 posts
    November 12, 2006 5:47 PM EST
    OK, FINALLY something I know about.  For print media, I would suggest the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign)  The suite is expensive, but if you are going to do a lot of print media like brochures and the like, you want to be compatible with the printers you will be working with.  As you probably already know, there is a lot that goes into print publications and you want to make sure you have the proper tools to create them and have them looking professional.  It can get really costly if after you have spent hours or even days working on a piece only to have a printer tell you he can`t work on it or it will cost you additional money to have him FIX it.  If you are familiar with PageMaker, you should be able to adapt to the other two programs pretty easy.  Good Luck

---
    JMcIntosh, Ohio PaddyWags - Pet Boutique and Treatery "Never be afraid to try new things. Remember it took a lone amature to build the ark and a team of engineers to build the Titanic"

• 57 posts
    November 4, 2006 9:13 PM EST
    Hi rvdebby

From you`re questions I think you`d very quickly find yourself in over your head if you tried to build your own shopping cart. I`d strongly recommend you look for a shopping cart hosting company with all of the feature you want and that allows you to customize the look.

If you just want a static website then go for try the free programs like Nvu first. They`ll probably do what you want but save you $$$`s

Rich

---
    Blog - http://www.buggy.id.au/

• 57 posts
    November 8, 2006 9:30 AM EST
    Everyone spouting about HTML seems to have forgotten that the original post included the question "If I did choose this method, how do I go about creating a shopping cart?"

While HTML is used to create the interface you then need to know about SQL databases and at least one programming language (two if you want to JavaScript on the front end). So that would bring the list of things to know to:
    1. HTML
    2. CSS
    3. Server Side Scripting (pick your favourite language)
    4. JavaScript (probably)
    5. SQL for you database
    That`s before we get on to how to write a secure web applications, page design, navigation, making top notch graphics, etc.

---

• 57 posts
    November 8, 2006 9:41 AM EST

See what you think.

www.alltechprinting.com

Hmmm..... I`d start by getting your page to validate correctly.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alltechpr inting.com%2F

Once it validates you should should probably work on removing all of the tags that are now depreciated. If you read the font section of the HTML specification you`ll notice that all the b and font tags are now depreciated and "their use is discouraged in favor of style sheets". You should also remove all of the align="..." attributes as they are depreciated too.

---

• 14 posts
    November 14, 2006 6:10 AM EST

Hello,
    First good luck with your new adventure. I am also open
    for a little bit over a year. Accept I did not know about
    support groups or SuN. Unfortunately I went ahead and
    signed up for a "package" which include Business Classes, one year free service, web hosting company
    and a merchant account. Which include`s your own credit
    card terminal. (never touched the credit card terminal,
    accept to clean the dust off).  Sounded great! I fell for
    it now I am stuck with a non-cancelable lease paying
    140.00 each month for a period of 48 months. Living
    on Social Security Disability and not making any sales
    as promised. The stress that I was put under almost
    decided this is not for me. Almost threw the towel in a
    couple of times. I advise against that route! What I do
    suggest is to sign up with Google support groups.
    Google even offers a free shopping cart and all the
    tools to built a web site free! Reason they are promoting there express shopping cart services. Also
    they have every kind of group you can image for support. I wish I knew that a year ago!
    Godaddy, advertises the lowest prices, what they don`t
    tell you that is you have too sign up for a year, and there
    package deal is pretty expensive when you are signing
    up for two years. Great support Godaddy has, 24/7 and it is true I called many a time at 4:30A.M..
    Take your time do some research and see what suits your budget. I also recommend Pay Pal. The competition which is going on with the search engines, I fell that is your best bet. If you get stuck putting a web site together and want free support from web hosting companies sign up for SitePointForum. Excellent
    feedback for  your web site.
    SecondHandRose2006-11-14 12:22:39

---
    Yours Truly, Rose M. Palinkas, secondhandroseboutique.com

• 79 posts
    November 4, 2006 12:18 PM EST

I am somewhat computer literate and enjoy creating marketing materials for my current employer. I see that webdesign is very expensive and will have continued demand for $`s to upgrade and maintain. Would it be crazy to consider purchasing software, like Front Page or even using MSPub to create my own website?

If I did choose this method, how do I go about creating a shopping cart? I understand that PayPal is a great way to add credit cards. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

I also will need to have a catalog and brochures--what software have you used for this or should I just incorporate the cost into my startup loan request?

rvdebby2006-11-4 19:23:15

---
    "If you`ve got a frog to swallow, don`t look at it too long. And if you`ve got more than one to swallow, swallow the biggest one first"--Danny Cox

• 79 posts
    November 4, 2006 1:59 PM EST

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the advice. Your website looks good.

Are you happy with the results of your web package? Are you getting the results you expected?

rvdebby2006-11-4 21:0:42

---
    "If you`ve got a frog to swallow, don`t look at it too long. And if you`ve got more than one to swallow, swallow the biggest one first"--Danny Cox

• 79 posts
    November 6, 2006 4:17 AM EST

OK...it`s apparent that it would be criminally stupid to attempt website design at home--at least with my experience. Guess that I will confine my artistic side to logo design and creation of brochures and catalogs. Thoughts on software. Haven`t had a real desktop program to work with since Corel 4. Know the office here uses PageMaker for our magazine, but we are a non-profit and often do not have the best solutions.

Thanks guys!

---

• 79 posts
    November 6, 2006 11:09 AM EST

I have MS Pub 2000 on my computer. Is it worth it to invest in PageMaker? We have an older version in the office so I don`t know what improvements have evolved. I do not use PageMaker myself but am sure I wouldn`t have trouble learning it.

Thanks

Deb

---

• 79 posts
    November 19, 2006 12:55 PM EST

I am moving and will be a coast away from my customers. Because they know me I will use a photo for branding.. need to get a good logo.In the beginning the website will Be my location. My company will be business to business so a storefront is not needed.

That being said--I believe I will need to invest all funding to the website. My ideal model is Office Max or Office Depot.. Need to find a company that can help me put this together. Before I spend the money I want to know that the company I select is a good one. Right now I am looking for a BBB and Verisign on their websites. Other thoughts?

---

• 1 posts
    November 9, 2006 12:21 PM EST
    For beginning websites, the very best easy site creator I have seen is from google, they host domains and email (for free!!!!!!).  To sign up go to http://www.google.com/a/
    Here`s an example of a site I created with the google creator:
    http://www.riskinsider.com

If you need e-commerce, there are also cheap options.  I have a small store running on http://www.shoppingcartsplus.com - see http://www.thegreenharvestco.com.

If you want something more upscale, go with a professional but check their portfolio and make sure that you like their style.  For a "brochure" site you should probably pay around $500 (if you find an offshore company), or certainly shouldn`t pay over $1000 even domestically. 
    • 156 posts
    November 19, 2006 12:20 PM EST
    Some high school kids can design very nice websites.  They work for little money.

Another approach is to modify a webpage that you like via its source code, provided you know HTML basics, and source code is modifiable - some clever web designers have ways to hide their code.

HTML is not that hard, just a lot of details, which one will forget quickly if one doesn`t use it frequently.  But if one plans to update the pages oneself then learning HTML can save some serious money.

---
    Go Green and put more money onto your bottom line with award-winning LED-based light bulbs PearlLED. If you manage a good sized store/business and want to boost the bottom line, call us!

• 156 posts
    November 19, 2006 12:44 PM EST

If everyone here doesn`t already know, there is a free software at www.nvu.com that is just as good as frontpage (minus the $100 you have to spend). 

Just in case you guys want to lower your overhead!

OK friends, 3:39PM 11/19/2006 is the time I start to learn NVU to create a website for myself.  I post this in appreciation of the link provided and to see how long it takes to create a "decent" website.  Previously I hired a "professional" web designer who created the most horrible website I`ve seen.  I asked him for so many modifications it was like I did the design. So no more of his service.

---
    Go Green and put more money onto your bottom line with award-winning LED-based light bulbs PearlLED. If you manage a good sized store/business and want to boost the bottom line, call us!

• 1 posts
    November 10, 2006 7:22 AM EST

HI RVDEBBY

BULDING YOUR OWN WEBSITE IS FUN.THE FIRST THING YOU NEED IS A DOMAIN NAME. IF YOU DECIDE TO USE YAHOO.COM TO PUBLISH YOUR WEB SITE IN THE INDEX PAGE OF YOUR WEB SITE YOU MUST HAVE HOME.HTML.WHEN SOMEONE GOES TO YOUR WEB SITE IT WILL OPEN UP TO YOUR HOME PAGE.IN THE INDEX PAGE ALL PAGES MUST BE IN LOWER CASE,ALL PAGES MUST END IN .HTML.IF YOU ARE USEING A PUBLISHING ASSISTANT YOU WILL NEED TO INSERT HOST NAME OR ISP ADDRESS.YOU MAY OR MAY NOT NEED USER IDENTIFER.THEN YOU CAN TRANSFER YOUR WEB SITE TO THE REMOTE HOST.IF YOU USE PAY PAL BUTTONS SET UP AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM SO YOU CAN USE THE BUTTONS AS YOU BULD YOUR WEB SITE.MAKE A COPY OF YOUR WEB SITE,FOLDERS AND ANY OTHER ITEMS YOU LIKE ON A CD RE WRITEABLE.

DAN BECKHAM

COWBOYSCOINSCURRENCYLLC.COM

---
    DAN BECKHAM CEO & FOUNDER COWBOY`S COIN`S CURRENCY L . L . C .