Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Sales

Alternatives to Google Ads?

• 741 posts
    August 15, 2007 11:05 AM EDT

Roshelle:

Since the titile of this thread is called Alternative to Google Ads, you should also study alternative Internet advertising networks like Adbrite.com, Bidvertiser.com, Clicksor.com and Text-link-ads.com to get a feel for the way other top advertising networks operate.

Dale King

DKing2007-8-15 16:6:7

---
    If you`re tired of all the money-making
    hype, lies and scams...read this!
    Click here for more details!

• 335 posts
    August 15, 2007 9:04 AM EDT

1.  What metrics would Company A use to determine if advertising on my site would be favorable to them?

2.  What fees do advertisers normally pay for such advertising?

3.  What payment terms should I consider? 50% Upfront? Monthly? 

4.  Any additional scenarios that I have overlooked?

1) Company A would look at:
    • audience demographic
    • size of audience (unique visitors)
    • number of impressions (ads) you can provide during a given period of time
    • ad sizes available
    • confirmation that you have the ability to track and report on performance
    • CPM (cost-per-thousand) rate
    • possibly ability to geotarget the ads, say, limiting the ads to visitors from chicago vs. other areas of the country
    • average click-through-rates you`re experiencing for current advertisers
    • any exclusives you provide for that product/service/brand category
    2) Advertisers are charged CPM rates randing from 50 cents to 50 bucks. in fact, the range is probably wider than that. this is a classic "supply/demand" and "quality/value" scenario. if you`ve been using google, you`ve got a good baseline. you should be able to charge more to your advertisers than google pays you for the ads on your site.

3) it will be very difficult getting anything better than Net 30 Days payment terms. The larger the customer, the longer the payment cycle seems to be... unfortunately.

hope this helps.

---
    Rich Sloan , Co-Founder, Chief Startupologist, StartupNation

• 335 posts
    August 15, 2007 11:18 AM EDT

Hi,

I received a nice note from Jeff Sloan (yes, THE Jeff Sloan), and he gave me a head’s up that Steve Rappaport author of The Online Advertising Playbook: Proven Strategies and Tested Tactics from the Advertising Research Foundation, will be on StartUpNation radio.

Hooray!! I’m buying this book!  And thanks Jeff for your additional information provided - very helpful.

rochelle, don`t you know how cruel it is to mistake the little brother--having all complexes associated with that status-- for the older brother? i mean, it`s hard enough establishing your own identity in the shadows of such a large-looming older brother, but for me to try to help you and then have the credit go to my brother... it`s just pure punishment...

for the record, the person who helped you was "THE", ONE AND ONLY, UNDENIABLE, INDEFATIGABLE, TENACIOUS, MAGNANIMOUS rich sloan, not that other brother named jeff.

(clearly i have some issues, no?!)

---
    Rich Sloan , Co-Founder, Chief Startupologist, StartupNation

• 30 posts
    August 15, 2007 12:56 AM EDT

Hi,

I am interested in approaching companies to advertise on my website and have the following questions:

1.  What metrics would Company A use to determine if advertising on my site would be favorable to them?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated; thanks!

---
    Wishing you all continued blessings and successes!
    ~Roshelle (aka SparkleGirl), SparklingCards.com
    We provide customized cards that make your gifts shine! Also, our Wedding Day Survival Kit has been featured in America`s Bride Magazine.

Also, please check out my new venture, welcome2college.com - a FREE resource site for prospective and newly enrolled university and college students.

• 30 posts
    August 15, 2007 9:07 AM EDT

Hi,

I received a nice note from Jeff, I mean Rich,Sloan (yes, THE Jeff , I mean THE ONE AND ONLY, UNDENIABLE, INDEFATIGABLE, TENACIOUS, MAGNANIMOUS Rich Sloan), and he gave me a head’s up that Steve Rappaport author of The Online Advertising Playbook: Proven Strategies and Tested Tactics from the Advertising Research Foundation, will be on StartUpNation radio.

I went to Amazon and here are just a few of the book reviews posted:

Book Description
    Praise for The Online Advertising Playbook

"Finally, someone has documented all we know about online advertising and how to do it right. As much as this confirms that online advertising really works, we know that marketers don`t always get it right. The ARF`s The Online Advertising Playbook provides critical insight on what sticks and what doesn`t in online advertising and marketing."
    —Greg Stuart, CEO and President, Interactive Advertising Bureau and coauthor of What Sticks

"The Online Advertising Playbook`s principles, case studies, and strategic insights equip marketers with the best knowledge available. It will help your online advertising achieve the full range of marketing objectives, from lead generation and customer acquisition to driving trial and loyalty."
    —Tim Kopp, Vice President, Global Interactive Marketing, The Coca-Cola Company

"To grow interactive marketing from here we need to institutionalize our wisdom and experience about what works. This book explains, in a disciplined way, what marketers have learned from a decade of massive change."
    —Ted McConnell, Interactive Innovation Director, Procter & Gamble

"The Online Advertising Playbook is a milestone in the maturation of interactive advertising, but also an invaluable go-to guide for managers trying to make smart decisions with their advertising budgets."
    —Van Riley, Vice President of Research, AOL

"The best marketing communication is spawned from what I call `informed intuition.` After reading The Online Advertising Playbook, I am far better informed on how to optimize the online channel in our advertising and promotional programs. It`s a perfect blend of case studies and research-backed learning."
    —Rod DeVar, Manager, Advertising and Promotion, United States Postal Service

"Savvy marketers should take advantage of The Online Advertising Playbook`s findings and principles to get real results."

—Chris Theodoros, Director of Industry Relations, Google

Hooray!! I’m buying this book!  And thanks Jeff f, I mean Rich, for your additional information provided - very helpful.

SparkleGirl2007-8-15 21:48:45

---
    We provide customized cards that make your gifts shine! Also, our Wedding Day Survival Kit has been featured in America`s Bride Magazine.

Also, please check out my new venture, welcome2college.com - a FREE resource site for prospective and newly enrolled university and college students.

• 30 posts
    August 15, 2007 4:46 PM EDT
    Oh My Gosh   I`ve just edited my post... please forgive me

---

• 44 posts
    August 15, 2007 2:14 PM EDT

Hi,

I am interested in approaching companies to advertise on my website and have the following questions:

Any guidance is greatly appreciated; thanks!

Good luck with that! My only advise is to make sure you completely understand Google`s policy toward`s paid link`s - if you haven`t done so already.

---
    Best Regards,

Victor Wise