Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » All Things Green

Best green businesses to start

• 12 posts
    June 28, 2007 3:39 PM EDT

My holdup is the $250,00 needed to build a prototype to "prove" to the DOE that will work!  Then they would approve and fund a test to verify it works.

I don`t know what roadblocks the oil industury might create.  Every time someone talks about installing the "Hydrogen Highyay", the subjest quickly goes away.

Mike

• 12 posts
    June 28, 2007 4:19 PM EDT

Ross,

Thanks, I already knew about that. Like he said "years away and BIG bucks"  Mercades has an internal combustion engine car running on Hydrogen.  Most people can`t get past the concept that massive amounts of Hydrogen can be produced NOW, using only available natural resources!

Mike

• 12 posts
    July 7, 2007 3:20 PM EDT

Why is everyone grasping at straws when the lifeboat is right next to us and the rescue ship is only yards away?

We can produce and use hydrogen to power EVERYTHING we curently use fossil fuels for; and do it very easy, cheaply and with NO drain on natural resources and NO inveromental impact!

Mike

• 12 posts
    July 8, 2007 11:55 AM EDT

Thanks for your reply, Ross

I`ll try to keep it short.  I`m talking of a modification of an existing electricty source (water column wave power) to then break ocean water down into hydrogen which can power Anything!

There are two major generation plants now operating, one in Scotland and one in Portugal.  They both only supply the local power grids. 

Going one setp further, and producing the hydrogen, gives us a source of clean, cheap hydrogen with NO negative impact on our enviorment using an existing, ongoing power source.  The ocean.

I would appericate yours and anyone elses comments. 

Mike

• 12 posts
    July 9, 2007 1:16 PM EDT

Ross,

Probable, the easiest way for me to explain it would be for you to go to PESWiki.com and click on oscillating water column.

my desigh has a baffel in the air chamber column to keep the salt air out of the turbine and another column to "pump " salt water to the electrolcise unit.

Mike

• 12 posts
    July 9, 2007 3:03 PM EDT

Ross,

one good link is fuelcells.org

Mike

• 12 posts
    July 10, 2007 4:05 PM EDT

Ross,

No, not anymore.  About four years ago I submitted my proposal, drawings and the results of the tests of my smallscael prototype to the DEO.  They reviewed it and said it looked promissing but that I would need to build a larger, working protype and "prove" it worked.  Then they would fund a full sized test.  I didn`t have the money to go any farther.  Soon more and more people were looking at hydrogen and I felt someone would take off with it.  Then everything got bogged down with fuel cells in cars and all the media about how hard, expensive and polutting it was going to be to produce hydrogen from "oil or coal"

I sort of gave up until I saw your web site in a magazine.

Mike

• 12 posts
    July 10, 2007 4:56 PM EDT

Thanks Ross,

It does consume me more all the time!

Mike

• 12 posts
    July 11, 2007 7:01 AM EDT

Steve

How about adding to that mix solar collectors, a hydrogen power cell; and produce electricity and hydrogen during the day and electricity from the hydrogen at night?

Mike

• 10 posts
    January 15, 2009 12:16 PM EST
    I would consider something in the realm of alternative energies. It`s certainly a growing aspect of sustainability, but it`s also one of the only sustainable industries successfully weathering the economic climate. Solar might not have a great ROI today, but it`s expected to be a primary energy source in less than 20 yrs

http://www.themcompanies.com/blog/alternative-energy-companies-grow-even-as-others-falter/

---
    THE M COMPANIES - BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT BLOG

• 3 posts
    July 22, 2008 8:15 AM EDT
    I have a green business that I am starting.  It utilizes personal water bottles, and involves gardening, green education, and recycling.  Please let me know if anyone has an upcoming green event, and are interested in adding this program.  No charge to SUN community members.

Sincerely,

Mike
    mdcnet1@gmail.com

---
    Sincerely,

Mike Carrieri
    MDCNet, CEO
    mdcnet1@gmail.com
    408 476-3750

• 3 posts
    July 22, 2008 9:06 AM EDT
    I recently saw the aluminum can thermal heaters.  There was another reference I found to heaters using a platform of river rocks under acrylic/glass.  Rocks can hold/store heat for a long time. 
    I would propose utilizing cans (thin metal heats up fast), and rocks for long lasting heat together in some device.  Rocks are heavy, maybe pumice (which can be easily cut to shape/form), or possibly cat litter, or even small rocks.  What about used seashells? 

Also to cut-down on the "home grown"/redneck syle issues, put a nice sheet of metal over the cans, perhaps with a painted design.  I know the cans thermal heater are better when painted black, there`s no reason not to cover it.  You could even try to match homeowner`s house paint color to camoflage the heater unit. 

You are on the right track.  If you succeed you will move from the home-grown units to more industrial units, capitalizing on the materials and components experience you`ve gained.  In my area there is a home owner who built a home made carport cover.  I need to refer hime here, and watch him get rich!

---
    Sincerely,

Mike Carrieri
    MDCNet, CEO
    mdcnet1@gmail.com
    408 476-3750

• 8 posts
    October 12, 2007 12:28 PM EDT

OMG, so many interesting points of view.  I read through all the posts. They were amazing. May be I am way off track here but I thought the original question had to do with "green" businesses. Well, everyone else got on a rant, so here`s my chance.

The newest buzzword for today is "green". Many people these days are concerned with saving the environment from pollution , but are unsure what to do about it.

Did you know that there are 100,000 chemicals on the global marketplace and less than 10% of those have been tested for health affects.  We all know about how factories, traffic and such pollute our earth, but have you ever considered how you are polluting the environment in which you live?  Did you know that over 90% of the pollution that you are exposed to is right under your nose? It comes from your home and the products you use to keep it clean.  Interesting, isn`t it? Almost all brand name cleaning and personal care products on the market are toxic!  Exposure to these toxins are responsible for an increase in unhealthy conditions from arthritis and symptoms of aging to cancer and heart disease.

Consider the baby crawling on the kitchen floor? Mom thinks the floor is safe because she just cleaned it, right? But the residue left behind by the cleaner gets on the little hands crawling on the floor and go right into that little mouth.  You don`t have kids, you say? How about walking barefoot on the clean floor? The residue is absorbed into your system through your skin.  We`ve all heard about how this works; why do you think they developed the "patch" for everything from quitting smoking to birth control.?

Over time, exposure to everday products is a key factor in the increase of certain illnesses, such as cancer,asthma, fibromyalgia, ADD, ADHD, lupus, multiple schlerosis, Alzheimers, birth defects and many others. The birth defects part is why I have such a passion against these household chemicals...my fifth child was born prematurely because of my cleaning the kitchen floor, had to be put on a respirator and now has Cerebral Palsy.  Oh well, enough about me.

Breast cancer has increased by 26% since 1982, there are more than 3 million accidental posionings every year; did you know that women who work in the home are at a 54% higher risk for developing cancer than those who work outside the home?

I could continue ranting, but I better get off my soapbox now.  Anyways, I am involved with a "green" business that only manufactures natural products. No ammonia, no bleach, no caustic chemicals, no synthetic chemicals, no abrasives, no formaldehyde...just God created substances. I don`t think I am allowed to mention the name of it here but if anyone is interested you can contact me through my signature.

Thanks for listening me to me go on and on and on.

God Bless,

Carole

---
    MY BLOGS:
    http://www.sewing-from-home.blogspot.com
    http://www.safe4life.blogspot.com
    http://www.focusontheking.blogspot.com

MY SITES:
    http://www.freefrompoison.com
    http://www.sewing-from-home.com

• 1 posts
    January 17, 2009 12:59 PM EST
    How are you earning a living with Terracycle?  I like the company but can you share your secret.

Matt Norman
    • 65 posts
    July 11, 2007 10:29 AM EDT

bridalchic –

What a great program! Especially since bridal party dresses are notorious for being worn once and then hanging around in closets for decades.

Should provide lots of opportunity to tell wonderful stories –

-                               following the path of a dress as it is repurposed and sold and the revenue generated is used to impact an African woman’s life and micro-business

-                               maybe finding some women who donate dresses or buy the repurposed goods whose lives are changed in some way by the process.

You know – sort of like “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Bridal Fabric.”

Do you know if HopeCraft has PR resources you can piggyback on?

Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss further.

Best, Michael

---
    Michael Zucker - Strategic Planning, Marketing & Communications info@zuckerconsulting.com · www.zuckerconsulting.com “Helping You Over The Hurdles – Keeping You Focused On The Finish Line”

• 335 posts
    June 19, 2007 9:26 AM EDT
    I am no expert on the best green businesses to start today. But I want to be. Can anyone here start listing out what they believe are hot businesses to start up that have green written all over them?

---
    Rich Sloan , Co-Founder, Chief Startupologist, StartupNation

• 335 posts
    July 11, 2007 7:25 AM EDT
    bridalchic,

i love how you define your business and passion as so much more than an online store - it sounds like you`re on a mission!

be sure to enlist the help of fellow SUNsters to critique your soon-to-be-released website.

happy for you,

rich

---
    Rich Sloan , Co-Founder, Chief Startupologist, StartupNation

• 29 posts
    January 22, 2008 6:30 PM EST
    Mike

Exactly what I am thinking. Multiple sources that help overcome each others weaknesses.

I`ve thought about this some, but haven`t put much effort into it.  (Instead I put my efforts into first getting a steady job that I like, to provide a financial foundation and keep my wife, well ... my wife.) :-)

A complete hybrid "home" system should have some of the following characteristics:

1. Solar PV (virtually anywhere in the US)

2. Solar thermal; I prefer stirling engines; Hydrogen cracking for night time generation makes sense too

3. Wind, if the home is someplace that actually gets wind

4. low-head hydro if the home is someplace that has water

5. geothermal, possibly

6. Good windows and good insulation

Probably some other stuff too. 

I think that hybrid systems have a lot to offer.  The customer can get into them one or two pieces at a time, using the return from the first to boost the second, etc.,  kind of like paying off your bills.      When designed and installed right they should be able to produce excess green power to feed back into the grid (opening the way to use carbon offsets to help defray the costs further.)  They could continue to produce at night, in bad weather, in good weather, etc.

Oh yeah, one nice thing about stirling engines run on solar power ... one could pair two of them back-to-back so that excess heat from your solar PV would power the first one, which pushes the second one to cool your home.  In other words a solar-powered air conditioner.  You`d think a few sun-belt states would pay a lot for something like that.

---
    --
    Richard Johnson
    New Ideas for a New World

• 29 posts
    January 24, 2008 7:20 PM EST
    Is being the most technical like being the weakest link?  :-)

Have you thought about self-sufficiency self-evaluation kits?  Glitzy marketing style brochure with tables to fill out, a thermometer, paper or something to detect drafts, a ruler to measure thickness of insulation ... "stuff" people would need to do the job right and then call you for help? 

I`m also having a kernel of an idea about a (maybe) way to process methane that is continuous, non-distilling, and low-maintenance.  It would take some genuine experts to do the dirty work though, again highly speculative.

The advantages to "green" are staggering.  I can see whole counties on the coast (I`m in Oregon) that could turn their local economies around by switching from dying extraction industries like fishing and timber to sustainable energy production (if they actually do it instead of selling out to the big energy conglomerates.)  Further east I see huge dairies and feedlots that could turn an additional-income-stream profit from harvesting their methane and from converting their ammonia and nitrates back into fertilizer.

I like your ideas.  Getting better power, cheaper power, and more power into the hands of individual people and families is something I`m passionate about.  I`m not sure how that plays into my life plan or even into a business plan yet, but maybe someday. 

Greg -- and anyone else sufficiently interested -- drop me an email here and let`s brainstorm and/or form a mastermind group around this.  Maybe we can come up with some plans that work for us. 

---
    --
    Richard Johnson
    New Ideas for a New World

• 1 posts
    August 7, 2008 8:19 AM EDT
    I not sure what is hot to others but I know what I am excited about.

My business will focus on dealing with the ever increasing e-waste stream by reusing, remarketing and  properly disposing of  electronic trash.

My business will change the way everyone understands treats,and uses Eco-friendly products now and well into the next millenium.richjazzman!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 435 posts
    June 28, 2007 9:48 AM EDT
    First let me say that I totally believe that we need to do what we can to be wise with our resources and be conscious of how our actions affect the world at large regarding renewable resources and pollution...

Having said that, I believe there are a number of "green" initiatives out there that may actually do more harm than good.  Ethanol is a great case in point.  I have yet to make a personal determination about ethanol but I think it is unwise to blindly assume it`s the answer to all our fuel problems just because there is so much noise saying it is.  I acknowledge the apparent benefits, but have the proponents truly given the potential negatives any consideration.  Here`s just a couple links that bring up questions:

Wikipedia - Ethonal Fuel  - Wikipedia seems to be fairly balanced noting the benefits but also noting that the manufacture of ethanol is more polluting than previously disclosed...

Ethanol`s Growing List of Enemies - An interesting article on businessweek.com

Please don`t assume I am anti-green because that`s the furthest from the truth.  I`m just tired of all the knee-jerk reactions these days without any honest consideration for both sides of an issue.  I believe that we can be responsible and take care of the planet and everything so long as we are all willing to consider that maybe, just maybe, we`ve missed something and should at least give serious and honest regard to the another viewpoint.

Then of course there are times when the each argument has it`s merits and the final determination is 6 of one, half dozen of the other.  You just have to make your pick and hope your side wins, but don`t be angry if you loose, acknowledge the other side and continue to try and convince them your view is best.  Just be civil about it...

R-

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line."
    ~ Oscar Levant ~

Twitter: @rossb

• 435 posts
    June 28, 2007 3:28 PM EDT

If we put all the available farm land into growing corn (or other crops) to produce ehtanol, it still wouldn`t make much of a dent in what is needed to replace fossil fuels.  And what energy would we use to produce the ethanol?  What would we do with the waste from its production.

We CAN produce all the hydrogen needed to power this entire planet using existing,replenishing, totally "green" resourses and clean up the poluted enviroment in five years!

Mike

If this be true, what`s the holdup?

R-

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

~ Oscar Levant ~

• 435 posts
    June 28, 2007 3:57 PM EDT
    Mike -

You might find this interesting:  GM Hy-Wire

R-

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

~ Oscar Levant ~

• 435 posts
    July 6, 2007 12:24 PM EDT
    Chet -

The first questions would be "for what use?"  From where would it be imported?  What kind of governmental reg`s and importation fees would be incurred?  Are they so high that the costs involved outweigh the benefits?

R-

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

~ Oscar Levant ~

• 435 posts
    July 6, 2007 3:58 PM EDT
    Chet -

I love your passion and you`re obviously serious enough to have done your homework on this subject.   But I`ve got to tell ya... you just gave me way too much information in such a short amount of time.

Any chance you can summarize with some major bullet points, keeping the supporting data to a bare minimum unless it`s essential to the discussion?  If the other entrepreneurs on this forum are even remotely like me, they love a great discussion, but need to keep it to bite sized portions!

Now, to your question:

Is it really better to promote renewable resources if in order to use them fossil fuels are being burned at alarmingly inefficient methods?

My answer would be of course not, it doesn`t make any sense to promote something if, in the end, you are creating more of the very problem than you are trying to address.

Having said that, the measures necessary to make that determination will need to be as close to indisputable as possible because there will likely be someone on the loosing side who cries foul!  Of course this could be an entirely separate discussion, couldn`t it?

Do you have other "green" aspirations or is this one keeping you busy enough?

Also - are there multiple forms of hemp?  In other words, is there a type that can be grown that doesn`t get you high when you smoke it?

R-

rossb2007-7-6 21:5:25

---

Quaerite Primum Regnum

~ Oscar Levant ~