Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » All Things Green

Glad to be "green"

• 2 posts
    September 11, 2007 10:11 AM EDT

I am a non-apologetic environmentalist, aviation/transportation professional, and entrepreneur. 

And yes, I think all of those things are reconcilable.  I think that they HAVE to be, or we - the human race - are doomed. 

The answer lies not in changing people`s lifestyles (not gonna happen unless forced), but in changing the products and services USED to MEET people`s lifestyle expectations.

Look at compact flourescent lightbulbs, for example.  I`ve heard that if each household in the US changed just ONE incandescent bulb to compact flourescent, the US would save enought energy to power all the homes in Delaware and Rhode Island combined.  And because of that, they save money that can be spent on something else to increase your standard of living.

That`s just ONE benefit example.  You want more?  Think about how much cheaper health care might be if we didn`t have so many people in the emergency room for health problems that we would see less of if the world used fewer toxic products in manufacturing, cleaning, etc. 

Green can only be good!

Namaste,

Andrew Hartley

http://www.environmentastic.com

---
    http://www.crescendoholdings.com
    http://blog.aviationofbusiness.com
    http://www.thirdfloorcards.com
    http://www.teachers-forum.com
    http://www.environmentastic.com
    http://www.vmdirect.com/crescendomedia

• 2 posts
    June 17, 2008 5:19 PM EDT
    There is a product called 4 sure, its awesome, you can contact lreichert@nc.rr.com. It cleans like a regular full strength commercial product, but is virtually non toxic.  Ok, good luck! you wont have a problem cleaning with this product, I assure you.
    • 270 posts
    June 19, 2007 11:34 AM EDT

Rich, you are right!  The rewards from going green is much greater than any  marketing or business advantages.  Going green will be force on all of us.  You can go screaming in the future when you have no choice or feel good that you did now.  We all know our current government will never do anything about it that is real, they are too busy with more important things that side track us from the real issues.

Oops...Now look what you did, you got me started...

bert2007-6-19 16:34:53

---
    Bert at Harvey Software, Inc.
    Multi-Carrier Shipping Software and Supply Chain Solutions for Internet Retailers

Also a provider of free shipping information and resources at Harvey Software`s Parcel Shipping Blog along with free tracking solutions at TrackingPage.com...

• 270 posts
    June 20, 2007 6:43 AM EDT

Roughstock, you make good points but let me tell you about my side of things.  I live in Southwest Florida where things are different.  I have fought a losing battle for over 30 years now with our local government to have planned development, better use of our resources, and to save our environment.  I have until recently been mostly alone.  I have watched our government turn their backs on the environment to allow for runway growth.  They make more money by doing this in taxes and believe me they know how to spend it.  Greed currently drives our government not voters wishes.  Now that they (and we) have allowed this massive destruction, they all say we need to go green.  Duh!  We are nearly out of fresh water.  We have huge fires to deal with during drought.  We don’t use alternate power sources because of contracts with gas companies and our power companies.  (They are even talking about adding a new coal power plant!)  We do not use solar power as we should and we live in the sunshine state.  We all have electric water heaters that are power wasters instead of solar versions.  We have lost most of the wild life in the area including several endangered ones.  We have causing red tide that is destroying aquatic life.  And there is much more that I will not bore you with that our government should be addressing and they are instead working on issues that have no barring on the real issues of the citizens while they are saying we should go green.  I must also say our Federal government isn’t doing much better.

Like Lee Iacocca says “Let’s look at what is working.”  I feel we all need to take on this responsibility because I do not trust our government today to do it right.  They are being misguided by donations.  Maybe in the future if more voters get more involved and we get some real leaders back in office, we might be successful.  Right now they are just going through the motions in most locations.  I do think it is great that people are now talking about this issue and actually starting to do something about it.  I don’t feel so all alone any more and it has renewed my faith in the fact we might all change our wasteful ways.  I also think talking about this at SUN is a great addition!  You are right.  Business can have a huge effect in the solution.  In many ways some business have been the source of our problems.

Business people like you and the California government need to be commended for all that is starting to happen there.  It is a good start but this is huge challenge.  I wish Florida and several other states along with our Federal government would get on board too.

I hope this better explains my point of view and I definitely feel we all need to take on the responsibility.  I like your enthusiasm!  Sorry to make this so long!

bert2007-6-20 11:46:35

---
    Multi-Carrier Shipping Software and Supply Chain Solutions for Internet Retailers

Also a provider of free shipping information and resources at Harvey Software`s Parcel Shipping Blog along with free tracking solutions at TrackingPage.com...

• 270 posts
    June 20, 2007 7:54 AM EDT

I agree technology is a key.  Subjects like science, math and other school subjects being taught in our schools are also important.  We need smart people to do green right. 

I also agree you that we need to be after the local government constantly.  I am sure they consider me a radical just for that reason.  Unfortunately we put the wrong people in office here in Florida, so no matter what was said to them, they did what big money told them to do.  The last election made some changes and I am sure the next one will do more.

I think a better way to change the government is to study carefully who we vote for at election time.  Voting can let your green feelings come to life.  And everyone needs to vote!  If my sources are correct, only 45% of the people that could have voted, voted in the last presidential election.  This is very sad.  When we vote we need to look at each candidate like we were hiring them for a job.  I like Lee Iacocca`s suggestion that the next president should tell us who they are going to use for their cabinet before we vote.  But I am sure that will not happen.  Regardless, we need to take this job seriously if we are to really make a change.

bert2007-6-20 22:38:54

---

• 270 posts
    September 19, 2007 6:37 AM EDT

Interesting mission, you must be receiving a lot of flack from your colleagues.  My long experience with realtors is they promote massive amounts of development in Florida at the expense of the environment.  Energy wasting, deforestation, wildlife extinction, pollution, dewatering and wetland destruction is the plan of the day for most people in your industry and the Florida government.  You should be applauded for your efforts, if they are sincere...

---

• 270 posts
    September 19, 2007 8:04 AM EDT

I have worked with or for several developmental groups in Florida over the years that have all claimed to be environmentally sound.  So far I have seen none that really did anything good in the long run.  They just made a few people rich at the expense runaway development acting like environmentalist with only a few exceptions.  It is really sad to see how poorly things have evolved over the last 30 years here in Southwest Florida.  I feel guilty for just living here now even though I have fought local environmental mismanagement the whole time.  It is really sad what we have done to Florida’s environment.  Florida is slowly evolving from Green to Brown...

---

• 270 posts
    September 19, 2007 1:37 PM EDT

Sherry,

I think your efforts are great.  I am sorry to hear your clients do not see its value.  I am sure market demands from clients like that have been a big part of all the environmental and energy problems we have in Florida and the US today.  Just to be clear, I have not had a bad experience with realtors.  I guess I am blaming the messenger when they only were the sales people for the developers that have destroyed so much in Florida.  I hope you keep up the good work and good luck!

Bert

bert2007-9-19 18:39:2

---

• 270 posts
    September 21, 2007 6:55 AM EDT

One of the things I think needs to be clarified is the definition of a Green Business.  There are a ton of web sites and business out there giving it a stab.  I think this is great!  Many are doing it because it is a business opportunity since it is “in” to be Green right now.  This makes me skeptical.  I found this web site today and I feel it`s “About Us” section has a good definition of a Green Business:

http://www.greenbiz.ca.gov

Being a Green Business is more than just doing one thing.  It requires a change in many habits and things we all think we cannot live without.  I do not agree.  The truth is we do not need to do without.  We just need to change our priorities and our desires.  Creating a Green Business is just like any other business venture.  Talking about it is a good way to plan and come up with good ideas.  Doing the plan and adjusting for mistakes along the way is what it takes to get the job done.  Many people need to stop talking for marketing reasons and start doing.  I am really happy to see so many at SuN doing exactly this in very innovative ways.

I think we all know we are really just getting started.  In some of my recent posts, I have been talking about irresponsible development in Florida and I want to share with you some of the results we are experiencing.

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20077092 00361

This is only one of many issues in South Florida we are facing because businesses put making money at the expense of the environmental above all else.  Sadly many of them that did the damage claimed to be environmentally friendly as they did their dirty work.  Now many of those that have done the damage have taken their money and ran.  Those left behind are now facing the potential of a terrible wild fire season, shortages in fresh water supply and an ever decreasing wetlands in the up coming winter months.  This is because, even though we have received rain, our area has been so severely drained that our normal dry seasons are now very bad.  This is not Green Business and why I am so skeptical when companies say they are in this area.

Bert

---

• 270 posts
    September 21, 2007 7:03 AM EDT

DeAna, that is a cool site and looked like it was an interesting event.  We need some of the people in Califorinia to help us here in Florida...

---

• 270 posts
    September 21, 2007 11:56 AM EDT
    Jess, that is really interesting.  Since most of the businesses in my area are in real estate, tourism and construction, I am not sure sef-regulation would work.  I will definitely check this out regardless, thanks!  Maybe I can get some of our local government officials interested.

---

• 270 posts
    September 21, 2007 12:47 PM EDT

Cool! Thank you...

---

• 2 posts
    July 23, 2012 5:41 PM EDT

I had started two Green cleaning businesses over the years.  I actually sold both of them.  But anyhow,  I loved cleaning with the all natural cleaning products versus the harmful nasty toxin products!

Also it is much better for you lungs!  I  had many people who were asthmatic use my service.  It didn't irritate their lungs.

The natural essential oils that I would put in the spray bottles was much more pleasant smelling than the heavy fake perfume smells that are in the other products.

Such a big difference!!

---
    Start Your Own Green Cleaning Business

• 2 posts
    June 26, 2007 8:09 AM EDT

Ok you want some tips?

1. Since 1987, we have shown our clients how much they are going to save in money, time & effort using us or our product/s. That means we do their homework for them.
    2. The last thing we mention is that we are “Green”, or Natural”, or small business, or minority, or woman owned, or work out of the house. We are all of these things. Each client is on a need to know bases.
    3.  To a lot of our clients which are; private Industry, city, state, & federal, won’t admit it but look at “Green” as trendy, & Natural”, as weak. They are bombarded by regulators, environmentalist & the public, with every move they make. So most think that going “Green”, is going to be more paperwork for them or despise it because of regulations.  Make it easy for them to do.  
    4. Most of our clients want to do the right thing, others are turned off & still others only care how much money they are going to save or make. We try to make their job easier. By giving them the data they can use to save or make money & products that are “industrial” strength. We give them the tools; training/”babysitting” & follow through. We can help them stay out of the headlines or get into the headlines.
    5. Don’t take on more clients than you can handle.
    6. Make sure your registered for every category you qualify for small business, or minority, or woman owned, & yes “Green”.  We are currently doing that.
    7. Make sure your website is up to date. We are currently going through this painstaking process. Yes, I know we waited too long.  We hope to be done by September.
    8. Learn from your & others` mistakes. Look at these as oppurtinities.Wink

DeAna Vitela / AquaBio Environmental Technologies, Inc.

• 2 posts
    September 19, 2007 6:53 PM EDT
    I guess everyone is getting on the "Green" band wagon including Real-estate Agents. I checked out http://www.ecobroker.com/default.aspx  it may work for the Agents.

Last night I attended an event for Global Green USA www.globalgreen.org & Green Building Resource Center in Santa Monica, California. It was very informative in what is available to the public & business. I see an important part of the future for Real-estate Agents, in educating their clients on Environmental Resources for "Sustainable & Green Living". 

By learning about creating healthier homes & work spaces, they put them selves a step ahead of other agents. I found quite a lot of the products simple to use & or install, affordable, natural, & beautiful. They have list of Architects, Contractors, Developers, & Real-estate Agents, etc. They are giving classes & have a book out "Blueprint for Greening Affordable Housing" I bought the book & going to read it.

Here is another site to check out; Livingreen Store & Gallery, www.livingreen.com located in Culver City & Santa Barbara, California.

All the Best,
    DeAna
    AquaBio Lady

• 2 posts
    November 13, 2007 7:43 AM EST
    In my small business, I use natural fiber (jute) boxes and ribbons for packaging gifts.  Not only they are attractive, but natural and "green".

• 6 posts
    August 3, 2012 7:15 PM EDT

I can't help you much more regard in this matter of green card!

• 2 posts
    July 6, 2007 8:57 PM EDT
    Very sound advice. I needed that - thanks! :-)
    • 5 posts
    June 17, 2008 8:17 AM EDT
    I live in the midwest, MN, and have an online business selling natural pest control, insecticides, and cleaning products. Almost all of my sales are from customers on either coast. What is wrong with people in the midwest? Natural pest control is a hard sell here. People just want to stick with what they have been using or they say that the natural stuff doesn`t work. Any ideas on how to handle this? I don`t have access to samples. I have research findings and MSDS sheets. For my Mosquito Barrier products I have about three pages of testimonials and have not sold any of that product.
    My biggest issue is followup calls. I just cannot get myself to do these. I would love to have some help with this if anyone is interested. I sell one product called Orange Guard that is a great insecticide and is available in VERY few places in the midwest. If anyone is interested I would be willing to do an 80/20 split on profits. Of course you would get the 80%.
    Another item I sell is natural mosquito repellent. I own an RV and do a fair amount of traveling. In the past 2-3 years only ONE campground offered a natural alternative to mosquito repellent. I have two beautiful (no bias on my part :-) grandaughters and I would hate to see them using poisons on their bodies. I have done a couple mailings to campgrounds and have talked to owners while staying there with no results. Again an issue with follow up calls.
    I have some of the most popular natural cleaning products on the market. I do sell some of those. I also use them and many of my other products. If they don`t work well I take them off the site.
    If someone would be willing to help me I would greatly appreciate it. My website to see what types of products I offer is www.RepellNet.com. Thanks in advance.

---
    Kathy Lauwagie
    RepellNet Natural Pest Control Products
    www.RepellNet.com

• 8 posts
    June 19, 2007 9:25 AM EDT

Thanks for bringing this issue up as an ongoing topic.  It`s important to me. 

Standing lean and green.

JoAnne

• 38 posts
    June 19, 2007 5:34 PM EDT

Going green will be force on all of us.  You can go screaming in the future when you have no choice or feel good that you did now. 

I couldn`t agree more. Ultimately, green is going to become essential to compete in the mainstream marketplace. It`s going to be expected that companies operate on sustainable principles for the majority of consumers, and leanring about the issues now and implementing these practices is the best way to ensure future success.

We all know our current government will never do anything about it that is real, they are too busy with more important things that side track us from the real issues.

Now this I have to respectfully disagree with. Government will be slow to get moving, but it is already beginning to happen on a local level. I have an inspection tomorrow with the city of San Francisco to get my green business certification.

The most important thing to remember is that government listens to business. Business—and yes, even small business—has a huge role to play in pushing on government to take real steps—measurable steps—toward better environmental regulations.

This includes:
    • Stricter environmental regulations
    • Incentives for businesses that implement sstainable practices
    • Real, meaningful standards for what "sustainable" and "green" really mean
    It`s going to be a long and hard road, and there will be a lot of naysayers and a lot of misguided attempts at the above, but I believe it can be done. It just takes a real commitment from enough people.
    Roughstock2007-6-19 22:35:27

---
    Roughstock Studios | Notes From the Rodeo | Newsletter
    Strategic communications without the selling of souls.

• 38 posts
    June 20, 2007 7:09 AM EDT
    Bert, I understand where you`re coming from, and some states are certainly tackling these issues more aggressively than others. And you`re very right that we can`t wait around expecting government to solve these problems.

But I do think that the more businesses that raise these issues—with their local representatives, with their fellow business owners, with their customers—the more you will begin to see incremental change.

This is a HUGE situation: we`re dealing with fairly complex issues and solutions that are not black and white, we`re dealing with corruption at many levels, and we`re dealing with decades (centuries, really) of detrimental behavior and the resulting xonsequences.

Our entire economy has been built on tactics that draw resources from the natural environment without regard to replenishing it. Now that we know that earth`s resources are not limitless, we`re faced with the daunting task of reconfiguring our economy (locally, regionally, nationally, globally) to create regeberative systems instead of depletive ones. That`s a tall order. I`m not sure it can be done. But that doesn`t mean I`m going to roll over—we have to at least give it a shot.

Technology is going to play a major role in this paradigm shift. It will be interesting to watch and participate, no?

---

• 38 posts
    June 23, 2007 10:22 AM EDT
    ...if they are willing to consider a new way of un-packing for retail...teaching a new way isn`t my idea of a good time (we`re already doing that with everyone else).

And this is the heart of the issue, I think. We (everyone—business, consumers, institutions) are so programmed against change. We are so convinced that  the familiar is always better than the unfamiliar that we resist change even when faced with hard proof that things will improve with the unfamiliar change.

And the kind of change we really need when it comes to sustainability is a systemic, inside-out kind of change: we need to create a whole new paradigm for economy, manufacturing and systems generally. It can be done but it takes commitment and buy-in from major players (who are starting to get the picture—i.e. Wal-Mart), to small guys (who have the ability to change and be more flexible faster because of their scale), to consumers (who vote with their dollars).

It`s a group effort, and if you get enough members of the group creating change, eventually the groundswell grows and those members of the group who are fighting change begin to buy-in themselves. Just look at the civil rights movement: it took systemic change, personal change and institutional change at multiple levels of society to really grab hold and stick (and even now we can see the challenges that continue, even as the system has re-formed itself).

—J.

---

• 38 posts
    September 21, 2007 9:37 AM EDT
    Bert,

The California Green Business program is a very good one so far, and I believe other localities have used it as a model. I just earned my Green Business certification through that program for Roughstock, and it was fairly thorough to be sure.

The main flaw, one which the program`s planners are working on supposedly, is that it focuses on greening a business` operations only (and not its products). This is simply a logistics issue; at this stage of the program`s development they have limited resources and are still learning themselves how to best certify businesses and ensure compliance.

As programs like this develop, however, the requirements will continue to grow. The process of introducing sustainable practices to a business is not—and never will be—cut and dried. Each business is different and has different requirements. Take the restaurant biz: finding non-toxic ways to clean an industrial kitchen is far more of a challenge than it is for my home office, for example.

But the California Green Biz Program is great, because it allows the government to learn from business. My hope is that the lessons learned by the Cal Green Biz folks will eventually inform the regulations imposed by local and broader gov`ts.

Back to your original point, though: one of the reasons the sustainability movement has taken so long to get off the ground is because there are so many definitions, and the definitions themselves must evolve and be adaptable. This is a very difficult thing. To regulate, legislate and define something that by definition must be flexible and fluid is incredibly difficult. This is why self-regulating business is so important to this movement.

You might also be interested in browsing the Dictionary of Sustainable Management, created by the folks at the Presidio School of Management. It`s a great resource.

Best,
    Jess

---

• 38 posts
    September 21, 2007 12:29 PM EDT
    Here are some links that might better address the issues for those particular industries:

Construction:
    GreenBuilding.com
    US Green Building Council
    EPA

Tourism/Hospitality:
    Green Restaurant Assoc.

Green Hotels Assoc.
    SustainableTourism.net

Real estate I don`t know so well :(

J.

---