Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Homepreneurs

Why work from home?

• 2 posts
    May 2, 2012 8:42 AM EDT

I am curious as to why people prefer to work from home instead of in a coworking space or an office. My name is Ashley and I am an intern at Spacefindr. Our marketplace connects companies and space owners who have unused workspaces with entrepreneurs and mobile professionals who are looking for a place to work. What would make you interested in our service? If you are not interested then why would you choose to work from home instead? Check out www.spacefindr.com and let me know what you think.

• 120 posts
    April 30, 2013 12:55 PM EDT

One. No more trying to figure out what "business casual" means for office attire

Two. No traffic

Three. More time to spend with the family

Four. Freedom!!!!

Five. Significant TAX advantages. :)

---
    Looking for the latest information on mortgage rates? Get a loan you love by visiting LoanLove.com and learn from our helpful experts.

• 10 posts
    November 12, 2012 9:31 PM EST

I agree with Emma123. There are certain advantages that we get from working at home. Although there's always a downside to it, the pros definitely outshines the cons when it comes to working remotely.

They say remote working or telecommuting is now becoming popular and in demand, especially with the continuous upgrade of technology. It is not at all easy to manage a remote team but it's not at all impossible to make this type of business successful. You have to be cautious about who to hire and most definitely, you have to consider if it's really worth managing a business without an office. Consider this related resource about starting up a remote business. 

• 10 posts
    November 15, 2012 2:27 AM EST

I prepare to work at home. It is much comfortable and you control everything :) You can even take a break anytime unlike inside an office. You need to wait until lunch time

Great point aipaoleen. There's nothing as nice as working in the comforts of your own home. Nobody gives a damn about what you wear at work. ;)

• 64 posts
    June 20, 2012 2:15 AM EDT

Here are few reasons that encourage people to work from home:

• Flexible working hours
    • No time boundation
    • Spend more time with family members
    • Better work flows
    • Reduced stress and sickness
    • Save up on office space
    • Reduced power consumption and fuel consumption

---
    www.hellotrade.com

• 3 posts
    October 28, 2012 8:46 AM EDT

I have been working from home for about 10 years even although I have a city centre studio for my website design business. I really prefer sitting at home working instead of going to the office as It is much more of a comfortable environment and also I really cant be bothered to go out some days so working from home is perfect. My business is thriving and has been for years. I spend more time working in front of my PC building websites than I ever would if i went to my studio every day. I keep hold of my studio simply so i have a place to meet with clients - working from home is top notch. I recommend it.

---
    SEO In Dundee - A Professional web designer for small to medium sized businesses with over 10 years experience.

• 5 posts
    May 29, 2013 7:07 PM EDT

For small business and start-ups, working from home is a great way to start. Apart from not having the budget to pay for leases, you save on paying 2 sets of electricity, phone, internet and other overheads. Commute times are also becoming a big reason as to why many people want to work for themselves or work from home. Increasing populations, overcrowded and or unreliable public transport and unreasonable leasing obligations are mitigating factors also. The home provides a comforting environment where you can focus on getting all the small things done to achieve bigger results when you hopefully grow and expand. Many of the most successful businesses started off from their founders' garage, kitchen table or in a small bedroom/study. And with the ability to produce a professional front online, who needs a multi-million-dollar warehouse?

---
    www.adgreement.com

• 18 posts
    October 24, 2012 3:26 AM EDT

Starting a home-based business is a great way to work. A person is at liberty to decide their working hours, and they do not have the pressure of unpleasant managers or employees. They work in the comfort of their living areas and at any time can take a lunch break to relax. A person also saves time in commuting as well as the fuel costs. Another reason why a person would like to work from home is because their family members are near them. 

• 22 posts
    May 11, 2012 6:21 AM EDT

I prefer to work at home because of the freedom it gives me, plus I save on commute time and gas costs.  Many small businesses and especially one-person businesses simply can't justify the cost of a physical office outside the home.  I would rather deploy that money into marketing to grow the business, especially since what I do doesn't require much space or equipment.  I hope this is helpful!

---
    Career MoversFinancial Analyst Job DescriptionExecutive Resume FormatFinancial Resume Writing Tips

• 1 posts
    June 28, 2013 5:01 AM EDT

Work from home = freedom! And you will also be more productive.

• 3 posts
    November 13, 2012 12:29 PM EST

I personally find it very hard to focus when working from home. There are way too many distractions and I personally need human interaction to help keep me focused.

However there are some tools that make it easier such as trello and skype, they atleast make my day much more productive. :)

---
    [url="http://www.thesixfigurewindow.com"][/url]

• 48 posts
    July 7, 2012 1:57 PM EDT

I think the real question is why NOT work from home?  Internet service is relatively inexpensive and cloud based services enable us to work from anywhere.  Working at home does have it's draw backs.  One of them being - turning into a workaholic.

---
    Computer Support|Online Computer Repair|Online Tech Support

• 22 posts
    April 26, 2013 7:41 PM EDT

Working from home has many advantages, from being our own boss,the personal freedom that we can enjoy,spend more time with friends and family,and mainly its a creative outlet that boosts our confidence.
    I experience this day to day since I work from my home.I have been into online business for the past
    few years,I do reselling business with Goresellers.com , I chose this business because there was no way to get scammed if we found a legit reselling company.It is very easy to make a good turnover because the cost for each service is fixed by reseller and also it has a fixed commissioned pay for each sale.Since many people want to open websites for their business for attracting customers through internet they will be in need of domain related services.The customer service and payment is handled by the reselling company and hence I just have to promote the services.

• 41 posts
    June 29, 2012 3:00 AM EDT

I know from experience that working from home can get tiresome.  You can feel like you are trapped in your own home.  But, I agree that the cost of space is better used on marketing.  To solve the trapped feeling of always being at home, I usually find a cheap or free way to get out of my home office.  For example, I go to Starbucks or my nearest public library with my laptop. 

These cheaper alternatives may be another reason people do not have physical office space. 

---
    I help entrepreneurs to start and run the small businesses they always dreamed of owning so they can fire their bosses and gain the freedom they deserve.

• 32 posts
    July 4, 2012 11:44 PM EDT

It’s becoming increasingly popular as workers try to reduce commuting time. So starting your business from home in this era of cost cutting can save you a great amount of money with minimizing commuting expenses.

---
    Accounts Receivable Financing & Factoring | Accounts Receivable Funding | Factoring Accounts Receivable | Factoring Company

• 10 posts
    January 28, 2014 9:57 PM EST

It's not just the "working from home" apsect that people love. It's the being able to work anywhere aspect that I personally love. If you work at a brick and mortar location you don't have the flexibility that you do owning an online business and working from where you want.

Check out this article. retiredyouth.com/internet-business-vs-brick-and-mortar.html

Nick

CEO, RetiredYouth.com

This post was edited by Stokes at January 28, 2014 10:14 PM EST
    • 5 posts
    February 6, 2014 4:46 PM EST

If you are looking to incorporate your home based business we can help

www.startyourbusinesstoday.org

• 19 posts
    March 1, 2014 2:03 PM EST

Hello,

For me personally, i have been able to build businesses while working from home, which has allowed me to raise my chidlren and also be a stay at home mom. This doesn't mean i have been less successful, just an expert multi tasker ;) Working from home has given me flexibility and much more. I couldn't imagine being stuck at a desk from 9 to 5 every day, when i get to work from my home and get much more done. 

I wouldn't change a think, in fact i love working from home so much that i have developed a FREE 6 Day workshop that teaches women how to become successful momentrepreneurs as well. Check it out, you might be inspired to work from home as well ;)

www.themomentrepreneurs.com

peace, love and success can be yours, all from your home office too ;)

• 1 posts
    April 28, 2014 1:55 AM EDT
    My wife and I work from home due to disabilities and because we want to have time on our own schedule to spend time with our young children and each other. I love the freedom and greater sense of accomplishment that working from home and being your own boss can bring. I feel a greater sense of job security and I enjoy knowing that I can customize my job to fit my needs, values and ethics.
    • 4 posts
    May 2, 2014 5:46 PM EDT
    Im starting to work from home now, but the real reason that I want to work from home is so that I can control the business from online, so I can still make international travel.

Are there any members here that have that system?
    • 12 posts
    June 2, 2014 6:50 PM EDT
    depends on lifestyle and location. co-working space is great if inexpensive and has interesting/entrepreneurial type people. By getting around other the relations and bonds will be great. Also lets you escape chores and distractions at home.

But htat only comes when you can afford it. Also kids...
    • 7 posts
    June 21, 2014 9:57 AM EDT
    As a partner with an online business, I must say I find it to be a very rewarding experience being able to do business from home versus a corporate job.

Nowadays, the corporate job arena has become very political. Thousands of people are finding it more difficult to get a decent paying job. People are out here working 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet and some are still struggling. A large percentage of people with college degrees are even struggling to get a decent paying job. Many people with Master's and even Doctorate degrees are working entry level jobs and have a hard time getting promoted in the corporate world. Top executives are promoting less qualified people over those who are qualified in the corporate job arena. And people are getting overloaded with work and no extra pay.

You can avoid many of those issues working from home. Working from home allows you to be your own boss, make your own hours, and the ability to make as much money as you want. It also allows you to save money on gas not having to commute back n forth, as well as save money on daycare if you have small children. The money you make from home can help you pay off debt, travel more, buy a new home, car or save up for retirement.

As far as interacting with others, I can't speak for all work from home businesses, but I can say for my online business, we have an outstanding community of partners not only in Social Media groups, but we also host live events, trainings, seminars, summits, etc which allows our partners to interact in person with one another, exchange contact information and business strategies with one another, and even meet up with one another on a business or personal basis if desired. Engaging in activities of this nature is what helps most online marketers make more money.

Overall, working from home can be a great experience. It's all in what you make of it!
    This post was edited by lissaliss at June 21, 2014 10:02 AM EDT
    • 6 posts
    August 23, 2014 8:28 PM EDT
    I just started working from home for my company and I love it. I am working toward working from home on my own business though. The technology is as if I were in the office. I do miss the interaction sometimes but I don't miss the compute and trying to get everything done in a mad dash. I save on gas since I had a 25 minute freeway commute.

When I work from home on my home business the downside would be having access to office equipment - which I would have to buy.

AthenaRenee
    http://copartnerfinder.com
    • 42 posts
    September 11, 2014 2:36 AM EDT
    I prefer work from home because I get to see my kid always and manage my own time
    • 2 posts
    September 15, 2014 1:18 PM EDT
    I get to see my kid always and manage my own time too