Make Connections

Network, Get Answers, Find Members in Your Area, and More!

Forums » Sales

Right Way to Sell Listings on a Site?

• 2 posts
    October 3, 2008 6:41 AM EDT
    Hi everyone. I`ve finished building my first website and am finally ready to accept listings from businesses. It`s a site where wedding-type vendors are reviewed and listed. I`ve read here that the best technique is to place a call, ask for the owner or business decision maker, then briefly describe what we do and send something in the mail.

1. Is it really necessary to send something when I`ve got the website? All the questions potential advertisers could have are asked and answered in a section just for them. Also, I`m bootstrapping so is printing up and mailing materials really worth it? Could I just send PDFs or does there need to be a physical thing sitting on someone`s desk?

2. Is it really necessary to show up in person to try to close the deal? Problem is: I can describe the site and its benefits in great detail but I don`t have the aggressive personality needed to close a deal. Nor can I afford to hire a sales person, unless he/she wants to work on commission only. Also, we`re aiming at small businesses around the country so me travelling around is not an option.

Thanks in advance!
    • 621 posts
    October 3, 2008 1:44 PM EDT
    Hi! Digatal media is very acceptable and actually a lot of times preferred. Make sure you create a high quality marketing piece that clearly explains the benefits to the prospective clients!! We use Go to meeting ALL the time and dimdim meetings are the same and free. I use central desktop and they also offer online meetings.

Erin

---
    Our Goal Is Your Success!
    Founder Girls with Goals