VoIP Buyer's Guide
Helpful VoIP tips
To make sure that a VoIP service is the best choice for you, assess your present system and its flaws. Just because other companies are using a VoIP system does not always make it the right choice for you. Once you have researched various phone system companies and determined that a VoIP phone system is the best fit, keep these helpful tips in mind:
- Don’t always take financial shortcuts—Buying used goods might always seem like a cost-efficient choice, but maintenance and upgrades may be more tedious and expensive in the future. Find good deals without sacrificing your company’s efficiency.
- Shop around for vendors—Find the best deal on the services you need by researching various qualified vendors. Attempt to contact other businesses that have used this provider for their own services and inquire about their experience and any positive or negative feedback. Ask each vendor about their service support options and find a company that can reach your needs.
- Understand how your system works—Read up on all of the phone system’s features and capabilities and make sure the vendor you are working with can walk you through the installation process and have him show you how to properly run programs. Document important information and passwords during this process.
- Instruct your employees—You’ll need to properly train your staff on the new system and make sure everyone understands the new features and processes to make for a smooth transition.
- Emergency calls—Since a Voice over IP phone cannot transmit 911 calls, speak with your service provider about other options. Calling 911 is difficult with a VoIP system because your location is tracked through your IP address. Oftentimes, you won’t be where your IP address says you are and emergency officials might be sent to the wrong location. Look into Enhanced 911 (E911) services, which give the emergency dispatcher your name, address and contact number.
- Softphones—For those technologically savvy employees, consider implementing softphones instead of desktop phones. Softphones are a phone within a computer and are ideal for those who work outside of the office.
A VoIP phone system offers many features and benefits that can work in your advantage. Compare prices and features from our pre-screened VoIP vendors in your area and find out if this phone system is the right choice for you.