Most business owners are unaware that email marketing is a powerful online marketing strategy and instead, will put a major focus on affordable search engine optimization or pay per click advertising. Even the most simple website will have an opt-in form so interested customers can submit their personal information to receive emails about any information that would be helpful to them. Big companies and sole proprietors use email marketing as a simple way to keep in close contact with their customers, which in turn can increase leads and sales.
Benefits of marketing via email
- Provide information – Email campaigns are most helpful way to keep your existing client base current or to follow up with potential clients. You are given the ability to automate the process and gather and share information with many other people.
- Build relationships – A email campaign can add character and depth to your business or website. You can add personality, a common aspect in email marketing services, to maintain relationships with others.
- Increase sales – Research has showed that a recipient of an email marketing tool will have to view an offer an average of seven times before they decide to make a purchase. By continuing to place an offer in front of your clients via email, you will also increase the probability that they will purchase something.
Opt-in versus double opt-in
Business owners are coming to find out that interactive marketing is a beneficial asset. There are two popular “opt in” models available for new subscribers: opt in and double opt in.
- Opt in subscribers, or “single opt in” subscribers, submit their email address to the business, and give you permission to send them offers, valuable information and follow up emails. The one time process does not require verification.
- Double opt in subscribers submit their email address to the business and confirm their identity by clicking on a link or sending a confirmation email from the subscribed email address.
Some business owners prefer to implement single opt in methods for email blasts because they don’t want the additional step related with a double opt in method. At the same time, double opt in offers protection for the subscribers from inputting the wrong email address into a submission form. Double opt in methods also protect business owners from false spam complaints from their clients.
Email marketing tips
Email marketing is very similar to direct mailing, despite the postage costs and the ability to send a message at any time of the day with an almost direct delivery. These are few things to keep in mind when sending out email blasts: