I was contacted last Friday to assist in completing a questionnaire that will be used in an upcoming college textbook. The professor has graciously allowed me to pass on this information to any VIRTUAL business owners that would be interested in participating.
I wanted to let you know that the Virtual Careers Questionnaire has been posted online and may be completed at the following link: http://wserver.scc.losrios.edu/~smedlel/VA_Questionnaire/VirtualBizQuestionnaireEntry.htm. If you use this link, it is not necessary to return the questionnaire that was previously emailed to you.
Here is some additional information about the course and the purpose of this research. The virtual office careers and technologies course that I teach has been offered online at Sacramento City College for approximately three years to students in the Sacramento, California area. This course is offered each fall. I have been using a book that was written by a practicing virtual assistant, which is okay, but it is not a textbook and it is primarily geared solely towards virtual assistants. Having taught this course for the past three years, I have found that students have an interest in a variety of virtual careers.
The purpose of the research is to gather information from virtual professionals from various career fields in order to help community college students, who are taking the course, learn how to create and successfully run their own virtual businesses. Through this textbook, students will learn about the do's and don'ts from the pros such as yourself, which will help them to determine whether a virtual business is the right kind of business for them.
The following is the catalog description of the course along with the learning outcomes and objectives of the course. This is a 54-hour courses that is offered in an eight-week format.
Course Description: This course explores entrepreneurial business opportunities in the virtual office environment. Techniques and technologies needed by virtual office workers will be examined. Each student will create a simulated home-based virtual office business, develop and write a formal business plan that includes operating expenses for at least the first year, and devise a marketing strategy for a chosen virtual enterprise. Students will prepare and present oral presentations in which they showcase their home-based virtual office ventures.
Learning Outcomes and Objectives
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
* describe the different types of virtual environments.
* evaluate a self-assessment to determine readiness and suitability for becoming a virtual entrepreneur.
* formulate a sole proprietorship for the virtual environment.
* prepare a business plan for a sole proprietorship, which includes a company overview, mission statement, goals, objectives, financial requirements, and market analysis.
* research the licensing, insurance, and taxation requirements necessary for creating and operating a home-based virtual business.
* research and develop a plan for the recovery of a business in the event of a disaster.
* develop an advertising and promotional strategy.
* calculate projected operating expenses for three years, including start-up costs and cash flow.
* develop a networking strategy to attract potential clients.
* compose an advertising letter and press release.
* evaluate competitive rates for a chosen virtual business.
* use industry standard software and the Internet to conduct business virtually.
* plan and participate in virtual meetings.
Participants' responses may be directly quoted, summarized, and/or grouped together with similar responses throughout the various chapters of the book. Those who are mentioned in the book by name (or company name) will be expressly thanked in the credits of the book. At the conclusion of each chapter, there will be exercises for students to complete related to the chapter.
Here is a link to the current course offering for BUSTEC 350 - Virtual Office Careers & Technologies http://www.losrios.edu/class_schedules_reader.php?loc=scc/fall/Business-Technology-BUSTEC.htm. (You will need to scroll down to see the course.)
I hope that I answered any questions that you might have. Please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions. I look forward to receiving your valuable input.
Ms. Smedley, Professor
Sacramento City College
3835 Freeport Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95822
Phone: (916) 558-2456
Lily E. Chambers CPS, CQU
"Why hire a mere mortal when you have access to a Goddess"