Mike, we`ve talked about this on SuN on a regular basis. It`s a big
puzzlement, but over the months of discussion, I`m starting to see
I don`t think there`s a cut-and-dried solution to converting lookers to
buyers. Lots of variables enter the equation. But of all the ideas,
there do seem to be a few that tend to make sense.
It`s not enough to sell a product. Anyone can do that. But if the
product is really unusual and interesting, more people will tend to
buy. If the product really serves an immediate need, or serves that
need on a repeating basis, people will tend to buy.
Above all, in my own opinion, is "the show." Look at many of the
infommercials. They don`t just sell a product, they make a show out of
it. The acting is overdone, the situations are exaggerated, but they`re
fun! They get you into it, moving along, building emotions, and looking
Too many people take a passive approach to selling. They put out their
wares, and wait for people to decide on their own if they want to buy.
But good sales people create a dynamic situation, with things to "do"
during the process.
"Here, feel this coat! Doesn`t the leather feel amazing? You`d expect
to pay a lot, right? Go ahead...try it on. Wow, does THAT look great!
How much you figger a coat like this would cost? Well, right now you
can get this coat for half the cost of an ordinary one."
What can you put on your site to get people involved? Things to click, push, watch, explore...like that?
I don`t know much about adsense...we don`t use it. Perhaps someone else can answer this. :-)
I`m no graphics artist but here`s my two cents:
1. I`d move the search box from the top of the page (because I think it looks strange there) to the right side of the page on the same line as your navigation links
2. I would add links to products you carry on the home page as opposed to listing them on the Pens page
3. If you keep the Pens page, I would make the images of the pens links to the respective pages
4. On the Contact Us page, the form is too wide
5. I don`t care for the Suggested Websites page - they don`t seem to add any value to your site and you`re giving customers a way to leave your site. Also there should be a unified font
6. Each of your pages seems to have a different layout theme. I`d try to make the pages look more consistent
7. On the related Articles page, I`d get rid of the Office Live link (adds no value)
8. I`m using Firefox on a mac and your telephone # is chopped and I can`t see the last 2 digits
Good luck with your site!