Please, please, please do not fall for the old line that `we can get you on the front page of Google for x amount of dollars.
It is not true. Here are the basic steps of what is involved and many of these must be done by a highly experience SEO developer.
1) Research competition and keyword
2) Make changes to appropriate website tags
3) Monitor progress on search engines tuning tags as needed.
4) Find where competition is linked and get linked there as well.
5) Get as many links on web pages with a PR 4 or higher as you can
6) Time. Most search engines give you credit for being online a long time
7) Changes - make changes to your content often
The initial work should cost between $500-$2000 dollars depending ont he size of your website. Our company then gives you a report each month with the progress of your search engine ranking. Make sure the people you hire do the same.
There are additional steps but these are the very basics. If these are not being done find another company to handle your website needs.