This is the first time I have seen your site, so I don`t have a reference to look at. My comments are:
- The colros are "eductational" typical which is good. It makes me think of funds and grants
- It is overwhelming, but if I was looking for grants I suppose it would be very useful.
- It is full of information, which is very meaningful. No fluff.
To your statement the site is not performing as you want it to.
- I think your offering is so strong that it is worth you spending 2,000 - 10,000 on a design firm taking you to the next level. I have taken the plunge myself but, I know it will be worth it. My site will be redone this January.
- I think the right design/marketing co. can change your site from amazing content to amazing content delivered with amazing appeal.
- It feels like putting Brad Pitt into checkered pants and a striped shirt, with an old brown hat on and dark sunglasses. We all know what is underneath all that, but why hide such a beautiful creation? Brad would have never done as good as he has hiding in a bad coat.
By the award nomination from the Chamber it would appear you network. Are you active in other networks? Do you direct market too universities, or who do you market too right now?