My business partner and I had a number of mall kiosks a few years ago
(11 at one time). A couple of them did very well, some did good and a
few just stunk (and drained a lot of the profits). Here are a couple of
mistakes that we made:
1. Growing too fast
2. Believing the mall owners about traffic (not doing enough of our own homework)
3. Succumbing to developers` pressure to sign multiple leases (even
though we might have only wanted to sign one or two--they implied that
if we didn`t take go with more locations we might lose out on the prime
one(s) we wanted)
4. Spreading out too far (geographically). This was a real nightmare
when employees just didn`t show up for work due to a drunken binge the
night before (or whatever). Nothing like hopping in the car for a four-hour drive at a moment`s notice.
5. Going back into the malls during off times (Father`s Day, summer, etc.) when the traffic just wasn`t there.
6. Settling for a crap location off the beaten path (only made that mistake once).
Those are the major mistakes that we made over the course of the years
of having the kiosks.
Done right they can be money makers if you can get into a good mall. If
you have any other questions I`d be happy to help out if I can.