Firstly - you are right to have identified its a process....
Follow the relevant steps and do your homework and you should be able to get the funding you need. Its in your control but there are rarely short cuts...
Top level I'd tackle as follows:
1) Talk to as many would be customers of the business as possible - perhaps a survey via surveymonkey or via email
2) If you don't know how to engage with would be customers - find a forum with them involved, get involved and pick their brains i.e validate your concept and gain some data / proof of demand
3) Develop executive summary, pitch deck
4) Determine the thought leaders in your industry in your local market
5) Ask them for their advice and engage (don't initially mention money...)
6) Establish an advisory board of the people with real experience who you've established a relationship with
7) Ask them to connect you with people in their network
8) Pitch! See what works and what doesn't. Refine. Pitch! Then rinse and repeat!
Perhaps the best method of finding the ideal investor is to not go out there looking for money but look for a match in terms of vision, goals and motivations between yourself and your potential investors.
Believe it or not - you'll get the cash when you are ready.
I created a report which could help. Drop by if you think it might be useful.
PS - Here's a free report on creating your startup success.