My business is a digital publishing company. I`m in the very earliest startup stages right now — I have about a month to go on the business plan, and another 6-8 weeks on infrastructure development after that.
My target market is a small but very rapidly-growing, values-based niche comprised of mostly college-educated people with a fair-to-considerable amount of disposable income; most hold to deep green values, and a small number hold to patriotic and national-security values.
Currently this market is dispersed across several even smaller sub-niches with limited interaction between them. What I am doing is consolidating these sub-niches under one banner: I will be the first to name this market, to define it, and to mainstream it — all under my own brand identity. I am positioning my company and myself personally as this market`s go-to source for consumers, journalists, producers and merchants, and would-be producers and merchants.
This market niche has two obvious defining characteristics:
- Demand far exceeds supply. If demand stood still and allowed supply to catch up, that alone would be a huge amount of growth.
- Demand grows as a direct response to bad news.
- I have a demonstrable track record of relatively high-level involvement in this market. People know me.
- I began in print production in 1991, and picked up the web skills starting around 1998 or so — I`m doing all the web and print materials myself
- I am nearing completion of a journalism degree from Penn State University and will graduate with distinction (I went to college late in life — I`m actually 39)
- This business plan is a modification of an earlier incarnation of the same basic idea. So, I still have the archive, mailing list, goodwill, etc., from my previous attempt.
Here`s what I need in a biz partner:
- Successful experience managing an advertising sales team (print experience is fine, but be prepared for a learning curve)
- experience and/or education in marketing
- Basic or higher level of bookkeeping knowledge
- At least some familiarity with digital publishing
- An undergraduate degree in something recognizable as higher education. If you have an MBA I will grovel at your feet. Not really. Well maybe.
- You need to live in New York, Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania or New Jersey and be available to road-trip to meet with me on occasion. I`ve been part of an interstate startup before and it does actually work, as long as the principals can get together now and then.
- You need to be tolerant of my rather perverse sense of humor and occasional penchant for crass language. If you laughed through From Beyond we should be good.
I think that`s about it. If you`re interested send me a PM and I will bombard you with further information.