1. I would make the text size of the blue & red text smaller. Only someone with extreme vision trouble needs it that large.
2. I am using an 800x600 monitor resolution, and the red & blue text laps under the right-hand column.
3. I wouldn`t have Google Ads at the top of the front page. It makes it seems like you`re more interested in making a few cents than in providing a valuable website.
4. The header is not that great. Rather than "Welcome to Electorials.com" I would suggest just "Electorials" with "your online soapbox" underneath and slightly bigger. And maybe be more specific, like "a community political soapbox." You don`t need the "online" part because that`s obvious.
5. After fixing up the design a bit, you can start adding more content, like maybe some articles. That will attract search engines and visitors.
I guess that`s enough to get you going. When you`ve fixed it up a bit, let us know, and we can give more pointers.