My goal is to create a win/win/win situation b/w the website owner, reviewer, and SUN.
By following the guidelines below, you will get a better response and understanding of what makes for a great design.
The reviewer will better understand the goals of the website owner. Meanwhile, the website owner will understand that they need a goal and a strategy for their website to help them make money. And SUN will prove to be more useful by having guidelines instead what can seem like a Free For All at times :)
The suggested guidelines are as follows. I`ve bolded what members should consider inputing when asking for a review.
- Do not just ask for a critique along the lines of "Hey everybody, check out my site. Bye!" It`s a bit trite, too vague and can be considered a thinly veiled advert. If you want people to spend 10-20 minutes analyzing and writing up a thoughtful answer, then you should spend at least 5-10 minutes explaining what your company is about and how you envision your site to compliment your business goals.
- State the goals of your website and briefly let us know what your business is about. What do you hope to achieve from the site? Do you have a strategy? How does it fit in with your business?
- Did you design this yourself or did someone design it for you? If you designed it yourself, what were your goals when you designed it? How many hours did it take for you to design it?
- Try to develop a thick skin when getting a critique. Understandably, it`s your baby and no one likes to feel like they are being bashed, but give those who give you a critique the benefit of the doubt that they are just trying to help.
- When you get a response, post back with your own response and don`t just abandon the thread all together. It`s rude and shows a lack of respect for the reviewers.
- Post the url to the site. You`d be surprised as to how many don`t do this! And make sure it`s clickable.
- Realize that there is more to a web design strategy than just pretty graphics and cool colors. How is the navigation? Web copy? Search engine strategies? Online marketing efforts?
- Realize that there are some web professionals who can easily take 15-30 minutes of their time analyzing your site and typing up a response. Afterall, their response is indicative of their knowledge of design. Be appreciative of other people`s time especially when it`s pro bono.
- In your subject heading, don`t type in "Website Critique". We already know that because that is what this forum is for. Be specific with your request. Include the company name or url and what type of critique you are asking for in the subject heading. You may be seeking advice on the webcopy, content strategy, SEO, design architecture, or whatever, but be specific.