Hi, I am an importer of low cost jewellery and I get clients from the following methods;
1.Trade fairs. Expensive but the only way to get 100 new customers in 3 or 4 days. Must have a very good offer and presentation or you will not get a good return on investment.
2. Sales agents. I pay 15% of all sales to agents. This is good when you are little (no sales = no commisions to pay) but the agent is working for themselve, not you and it is almost impossible to retain control. Most agents are unprofessional.
3. Website. This is the most cost effective if you can get your site promoted properly.
4. Go and visit yourself. This is not only cost effective but also gives you a better idea of trends and what the customers want.
5. Advertise in trade guides. I`ve only had limited success with these.
6. Open your studio, or rent a stall to the public, Every sale have an exercise book and ask if they can be added to your Emailing list. Then every month send out a "thank you for being a customer" Email. You will get a lot of repeat business with this.
I would recommend doing all of the above and measuring the return both in terms of money spent and effort.
One thing I would recomend NOT to do is advertise in newspapers. I have consistently found them to be a complete waste of money