It`s virtually impossible to make sound website marketing and development decisions without understanding how your visitors find your site and how they use it . There are hundreds of website statistics applications available, but one of the best free apps available is Google Analytics (formerly Urchin).
Until this week, Google had imposed a three to six month waiting period for new subscribers who wanted to use Google Analytics. On Tuesday, Google announced that there is no longer a waiting period and anyone can enroll for a Google Analytics account to begin using the package immediately.
Despite a few weaknesses, GA will provide a wealth of information that will help you make better marketing and design decisions. A few nuggets of information you`ll learn from GA:
- Which search engines refer the most visitors to your website
- How many visitors abandon your checkout process and at which stages?
- How many times do your customers visit your site before making a purchase?
- Which online marketing campaigns generated the most revenue?
- Which outbound links do your visitors click most?
- Which search engine keywords drive traffic to your website?
You can enroll at http://www.google.com/analytics/
P.S. Other applications that I use and recommend: