French Onion soup
Crock w/cheese version
7lbs sweet Spanish onions (yes! 7 pounds) 2tbsp Salt
2 cups of red burgundy (that’s right “red burgundy“) 2 oz Butter ( ½ Stick)
2 Whole Bay leaves 48 ounce can 98% fat free Chicken Broth
(Swanson is one brand I use)
½ tsp Crushed Thyme & nbsp; ½ ts black pepper 4 Cups Water
Preparation: please note that the preparation method of this soup (unlike other soups) has a lot of influence on the final flavor profiles. Please follow the described order of preparation:
- Thinly slice all 7 lbs of onions (approx. ¼ - 1/8 inch thick “half-moon” slices) Like this! ))))))))))))
- Preheat a Non-stick, Deep rim frying pan/electric skillet of same dimensions ( 8 Quart capacity ). Try to use 1 devoted pot, just for this soup.
- Add all butter, then onions to pot (approx. 500 deg.) Cook the onions down until “caramel” in color. NOTE: Try not to worry about “scorching “ the onions. The “caramelization” process require a high-heat with “fearless” intent to get it there (min. 20 minutes). So if the onions scorch al little here & there it’s okay! Keep stirring about every 6 min. But deep browning is the object. DO NOT add any liquids during this process.
- Once the onions are a caramelized “thickened mass” (at this time it won’t look like much in volume). Reduce the heat by ½, then add ½ the chicken broth, and all 2 cups of wine. Let this simmer for 10 min. w/o lid.
- In the meantime: Prepare a Bouquet packet of both herbs. I like to encapsulate them in a “coffee filter”, then using either “cooking twine”/ staples (careful) to seal them in the coffee filter “envelope” . At this time place the completed packet and 2 tbsp Salt in the soup, along with the ½ ts Black pepper
- After the 10 min. Add the remaining liquids (water and chicken broth). Then allow to simmer another 20 min. minimum. NOTE: You can “tweak” some of the more popular flavor profiles of this soup with either “red wine vinegar”, red wine, or salt. Taste it!!!
CROUTONS: I like to use French Bread croutons cut from a loaf. Place appropriate sized croutons (consider your serving vessel) in a preheated oven until lightly browned. Then allow to remain “in” (w/oven OFF) for at least 10 min. to “dry-out”.
Place a well-stirred amount ( for uniform onion/broth ratio) of F.O.S. in crock. Place crouton on top and allow to absorb for a minute (so that you know where it’s going to situate, so that the cheese is not “concaved” in the crock). Then place the Cheese- prepped-crock under a broiler until lightly “bubbly-
browned”. I like to use JARLSBERG SWISS (yes it’s great & stringy). ENJOY! Please do not doubt this recipe! It is across-the-board “standard & great!”
This recipe make approximately 10 - 12 Crocks of soup. NOTE: It`s an involved soup to prepare. Use this recipe volume and freeze what you don`t use! I.e., It takes just as long to make less! Why bother - go for it!