When Jack in the Box served E-coli burgers in WA state (and other places, too, I think) in the 90`s and a couple of kids died, they probably thought it was the end for them. It wasn`t. If a burger chain can come back from that type of incident, then a restaurant can survive making a few people sick.
It`s unfortunate and in cases like that, I think restaurants do the WRONG thing by giving those they sickened a certificate for a free meal. Most of those people will never eat there again. They should offer something else to them and HOPE that someday they can stomach walking in the place again. They`ve been around so long, though, that they will certainly have a lot of customer "advocates" who will come to their defense.
If you can survive the storm, it all becomes a distant memory. The public has a pretty short attention span.