The StartupNation Community Forum went live on April 6, 2006. It has grown to be an extraordinarily valuable resource for the entrepreneurial community. We have made & will continue to make enhancements to increase that value, but we have not updated the forum posting & private messaging guidelines until now. Great thanks to all of you in the community who have contributed posts and helped to suggest & establish updated guidelines. Here they are:
Let`s make certain that we`re all on the same page regarding the purpose of
the forum postings and how they can be as valuable as possible to everyone. The
official guidelines are posted below so I`ll just summarize a bit.
The StartupNation forums & Private Messaging are a place for people
to gain value, learn from and mentor others in a positive and encouraging and
We’re helping people take control of their lives by building the business of
their dreams. The StartupNation community should be a safe environment
for people to connect with like-minded aspirational or existing entrepreneurs.
Blatant advertising & self-promotion without any attempt to offer value in the context of answering another community member`s question is not cool on this forum or in private messages.
Advertising absolutely has its place. Please post such listings in the StartupNation Marketplace.
In the meantime, feel free to promote yourself & your business in your
personal profile and in the valuable comments that you provide to current
topics. That`s really the best way to get the community interested in what you
have to offer - if they`re impressed with your contribution to the community
conversation, they`ll be more inclined to click on over to your profile &
check you out.
You all can help monitor the quality of the posts. There are 2 ways that you
can express your opinion on the value of posts.
- Make a public comment (make it a positive critique that ADDS value to the conversation)
- Click on the Report Abuse
link available on every topic & comment (confidential)
If a post is simply advertising, I’ll delete it.
UPDATE: Article Posting is not appropriate in the Forum
Articles and blogs are wonderful and valuable. They just don’t belong in a forum. We will be introducing the ability to post your own blog here at StartupNation in the near future. That will be the perfect spot for you to contribute in an article format.
Summarizing or referring to an article that exists elsewhere on the internet for the purpose of stimulating conversation & reaction is absolutely cool. By all means use your creativity to bring value to the community in this fashion, and feel free to provide a link to the full article.
Ok – it’s time to get to the official guidelines …
StartupNation Community Guidelines
StartupNation strives to provide a community experience that will allow
members to gain value, learn from and
mentor others in a positive and encouraging and inspiring manner. StartupNation
provides an active, resource-rich community that will help people take control
of their lives by building the business of their dreams. The
StartupNation community will provide a safe environment for people to connect
with like-minded aspirational or existing entrepreneurs.
So that everyone can get the most benefit from StartupNation, please heed
the following guidelines when participating on the StartupNation site:
- Do contribute interesting posts that stimulate dialogue.
- Do introduce yourself in a brief manner in the New Member Welcome forum.
- Do respond to posts in an encouraging and positive manner.
- Do be honest in offering a differing opinion or perspective, but use your intelligence to do so in a manner that brings value.
- Do be helpful and considerate of other members. We’re all in this together, and can help each other grow and succeed.
- Don’t harass, threaten or abuse others.
- Don’t post content that is obscene, otherwise objectionable, harmful to minors, or that violates federal or state laws.
- Don’t spam StartupNation members. It will ruin your reputation, which is the most important asset you have when you’re starting and running a business.
- Don’t use the StartupNation
community for advertising purposes.
- Don`t post articles or blogs in the forum.
- Don’t infringe the intellectual property rights or privacy rights of others, including posting copyrighted materials without permission. Intellectual property is the great equalizer for small businesses, so let’s do everything we can to support that.
- Don`t double-post or cross-post, either within the StartupNation community or across forums/blogs elsewhere on the internet.
- Please take care to post your
new topic in the proper forum category.