Search Engine Optimization is not as hard as it seems. The problem with the big company`s such as Google, Yahoo, and MSN they make it hard in writing. Why would they make it easy? Making it easy means they would be loosing out on money, Correct?
Although there are ome facts: Here are a few simples rules of thumb if you want to optimize your web site:
1. Keep your Title page to a minumum of 60 Characters(including white spaces) Do not include the words and, or, or symbols, these are called Stops.
2. Your description Should not have more than 200 characters.
3. Your Keywords, should be 200 characters max.
4. Bold your keywords in your content
5. use tags such as <h1><h2><h3> and the Alt="myimage" for your images.
6. make your content relevant to your keywords.
7. Submit all your pages instead of your index page.
8. If using flash make the flash objects small
9. Use Key Phrases, and not keywords.. Humans don`t think in words we think in phrases. so instead of using a keyword like "cheese" use the phrase: Cheese cake", "cheese factory" you get the point.
10. Submit to all search engines only once a month. If you submit more than once a month you can be banned (your IP that is and that hinders everyone if you are on a shared IP) This is why it`s important that when you host with a hosting company assure that you are on a dedicated IP. Lets say Joeshmow.com is spamming the search engines.. Guess what? since you are on the same IP as joeshmow.com, there goes your Google Adwords Money down the drain.. But they don`t tell you that correct? They have your money so who cares...
These are simple rules to follow. But its not as hard as it seems... Its fairly easy if you ask me.
Web Developer / Owner / Consultant
When starting your own business the need to "know-how" is greater than money!