I recently wrote an article based on a question from a client who is not sure who`s the best resource anymore (he took me through a tough interview and I`m glad I passed) because he said we`re all really selling the same thing: Dreams and not reality.
Take a look and what do you think about how entrepreneurs are selling their solutions:
Entrepreneurs Are Selling Dreams Not Reality
by Sherese Duncan
I was chatting with one of my assistants about social media and marketing. We were talking about how many business owners are really achieving the success they proclaim or are they glorifying their success in order to get your business.
I know...a touchy yet intriguing topic.
We decided that a lot of people are selling dreams instead of reality whether they are online or offline, it doesn`t matter. Marketing 101 is about appealing to the needs and wants of your target market with emotional triggers, dynamic verbiage and subliminal messages. Here are a few things to watch out for when looking for resources, education, training, coaching, consulting, and everything in between to help you start, grow, and explode your small business:
1. Don`t Believe the Hype! We`ve all heard this one in one form or another but we get so engrossed in trying to find someone or something to help us that we can`t tell the difference between hype and real information. With the influx of reality TV, the line between real and fake is very thin. Take the time to try before you buy big and learn how to ask questions and listen to answers in a way that allows you to decide if it`s hype or real.
2. Entrepreneurs Who Can Sell the Pants off of Anyone. How can you combat this one? Sharpen Your Sales Skills! I`m a great sales person but I`m not interested in a numbers game or selling the pants off of you. By understanding marketing and selling 101 and 102 you`ll be better equipped to recognize hype and scare tactics 10 miles away. The more experience and understanding you have, the better prepared you are to avoid bad decisions and those that are selling dreams.
3. Actually Contact People you see on Testimonial Lists. Treat testimonials as a referral and contact them to get feedback. If their web site isn`t listed just Google their name and business name. If it`s hard to find the people listed then call the company and ask for specific numbers to get feedback.
4. Beware of the "Self-Promotion" Videos.
Here`s a direct quote from a team member when asked what do you think
of those videos for promoting yourself and your business, "I don`t want
to hear how great you are, I would believe you more if you showed me a
video with you in a room full of people that hired you vs. telling me
about it from a web cam in your office." Don`t get me wrong, self
promotion is great; but even though you`re home based you still have to
be professional. Put your best suit on and show me how to do something
rather than telling me your story and how I can have the same success
as you. Show me how! I`m not saying discount those that do this, you
just have do a little more detective work to find out if they`re
success is real.
Beware is really Be Aware.
5. Information that Focuses on Sell Sell Sell. This is a big one, because a lot of business owners are focused on how many they can sell vs. how many they can serve and help. Yeah, they may say they help you, but check it out for yourself.
6. Look out for Wanna-Be`s or People That do this for an Extra Buck. Make sure your resource does this for a living and it`s not a gimmick or a get rich quick business. I think I can end this one on that note.
7. Are They Worth Your Business. Looks, referrals, alliances, personal introductions - all are great and should be looked at as opportunities. But is that well respected resource or referral really worth your business? For example, their picture conveys professionalism, their client list is phenomenal, and they have a huge following, but you need to really stop and think about how they can help you. Are their services what you really need?
All this is to help you recognize and demand real solutions, real value, and real relationships that puts you in perpetual motion towards real goals. Basically, check people out before you buy!
Here`s to promoting, selling and providing real solutions that help people thrive!
© Effició, Inc. Sherese Duncan