efoozle/BrandAlchemy - I appreciate both of your comments.
A couple things: The site redesign is part of a corporate re-branding / restructure. I think the website we have now works but most likely will not match, from a UI perspective, the new colors / logo and image we are going for.
I think though that we have gotten off topic, which is mostly my fault. The question here is how to objectively
determine a sites worth.
BrandAlchemy - I understand a web portfolio will tell me a great deal about the quality of work a company does but it doesn`t do much for saying whether your website for example should be approx worth $2-5K or 10-15K. And there seems no way to actually place a semi-accurate number on it.
efoozle - When I`m referring to standards based site I mean the websites code (think XHTML vs HTML). Here are a couple more answers:
How much hand holding do you need?
>> Can you pin down what you are looking for? It would basically be having a graphic designer produce a new "image" and then having the web programmer slice it up to html. Moving the copy over and integrating google maps, and the online apps (basically copy paste). There is no coding outside of HTML. Plus the flash animation (say 5 to pin an exact number) and say 15 new images that would need to be placed somewhere on the site (or included in one of those flash animations).
What kind of support do you want?
>> We have people in house to edit the site. I`m unclear how this would effect the cost to design the site in the first place though unless your including money for future support into the cost of the site redesign.
Do you have scope of work that cover all aspects of the site?
>> Yes the answer is no but mostly because I`m not sure what your asking for. "The information you posted is very vague" - I understand what your saying and yet don`t know what exactly your looking for. For example besides hand sketches of the desired site (or a list of sites I like), demographic information (as I see it), and a credit card number I`m not sure what else I could provide (no DNA samples please
Here are some things to think about.
- 10-12 Page Site
1. Is this content already created?
>> Yes. See advancepayday.biz
2. Am I migrating it or you?
- Copy Provided
- Small flash animation(s) for scrolling images / possible header
1. How many? How small? Where? What will they look like?
>> Say 5 to pin a #.
- We currently have 3 interactive sections of the site:
- Corporate Site (no redesign needed - to be honest we don`t really care what it looks like as long as it functions) - which is a joomla installation.
1. No redesign? Do I need to intgrate it?
2. If this site gets hacked because your Joomla is outdated are you going to point the finger at me? ( Liability )
>> No we will maintain and accept liability.
- Online employment application - basically code stays as is but will need to be integrated to current site.
1. Basically? Is it being changed?
>> Yes but by internal staff.
- Google Maps - just integrated to new site.
2. Copy current to new. Got it.
- Online application - Right now the site has an "online application" for payday advances but all it really does is email a staff member who then forwards it to the appropriate store.
1. This should be done in a more secure fashion.
>> There is nothing sensitive being sent.
- We would like the new version to be standards compliant but this isn`t a "requirement".
1. Do we have to do the security audit?
>> See above XHTML vs HTML. But to answer the question no we would be hiring in a web developer compacity not as a security consultant.
2. Will you sign off that we are not accountable?
- Any and all SEO related tags / structure should be implemented.
1. Are we talking about meta tags?
>> Yes and SEF URLS.
2. What keywords should get people to your site?
>> I can provide tags but as a developer wouldn`t this fall somewhat under your (or a web dev companies) domain.
How much of the current site do you actually want to keep?
>> none but the joomla install (which I can move), google maps, and both online apps.
Do you want to stick with Joomla?
>> Please note joomla is ONLY used for the corporate version which you would not touch as you would be redesigning the "consumer" version.
Is this a complete redesign or really just and upgrade/update?
>> Redesign in the sense that the graphic structure would need to be updated to include the new corporate colors etc...
I don`t mean to sound argumentative but my point is that a consumer has absolutely no way of objectively determining what a site should cost. So he/she could go brag to his/her golfing buddies about his new website that only cost him 20K when it should have cost him 5K. A computer is a complex thing but if you make a apples to apples comparison across vendors you will see that the prices don`t wildly flucuate based on whose selling it. Thanks again.
Advance Payday Website