How much hand holding do you need?
- None (which they are probably taking as a couple hours)
*Judging by the scope I would have to get with you many times throughout the process because there are no specifics.
What kind of support do you want?
Not sure I`m really clear on the question. You mean support during the
design process? We already have hosting company we work with and
someone who can maintain the finished product.
*When looking for a developer you have determine if you will need them again. If you get an expensive and established company you can go to the when you need help or updates. If you do offshore dev for $15 hr then you will most likely never talk to the same person again. ( Just my experience from trying it a few times )
What kind of quality do you want?
- Not sure what you are really asking but professional. Its a financial services company so the more professional the better.
*The larger a persons porfolio the better judge of quality you can be. You can`t judge quality if the developer doesn`t show you anything they have done in the past. If they do show you their porfolio and you don`t like anything then you won`t like what they are going to give you.
Do you have scope of work that cover all aspects of the site?
- Can you give me an example of what you mean?
* Judging from your post the answer is no. A comprehensive scope of work gives you something to fall back on. Most people who have been in the business a while will draw up a scope of work and a price and then you will both agree and sign it. This way when the buyer changes their mind the developer can say no, here is exactly what we agreed to. The information you posted is very vague and something that most people would not sign unless they were paid enough to cover the misc items not discussed.
Here are some things to think about.
- 10-12 Page Site
1. Is this content already created?
2. Am I migrating it or you?
- Copy Provided
- Small flash animation(s) for scrolling images / possible header
1. How many? How small? Where? What will they look like?
- We currently have 3 interactive sections of the site:
- Corporate Site (no redesign needed - to be honest we don`t really
care what it looks like as long as it functions) - which is a joomla
1. No redesign? Do I need to intgrate it?
2. If this site gets hacked because your Joomla is outdated are you going to point the finger at me? ( Liability )
- Online employment application - basically code stays as is but will need to be integrated to current site.
1. Basically? Is it being changed?
- Google Maps - just integrated to new site.
2. Copy current to new. Got it.
- Online application - Right now the site has an "online application"
for payday advances but all it really does is email a staff member who
then forwards it to the appropriate store.
1. This should be done in a more secure fashion.
- We would like the new version to be standards compliant but this isn`t a "requirement".
1. Do we have to do the security audit?
2. Will you sign off that we are not accountable?
- Any and all SEO related tags / structure should be implemented.
1. Are we talking about meta tags?
2. What keywords should get people to your site?
How much of the current site do you actually want to keep?
Do you want to stick with Joomla?
Is this a complete redesign or really just and upgrade/update?
Just some more things to think about. Of course this is all easier over the phone and happen fairly fast.
Arm Your Toolbox